Author Topic: OV-103 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Dulles)  (Read 167435 times)

Offline RamjetFDO

• Space Cadet
  • Flight FDO... burn complete, no further trim reqd.
  • Austin, TX
    • -t h e t r e n c h-
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: OV-103 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Dulles)
« Reply #20 on: 03/09/2012 02:44 am »
Glad to see this thread!  I'm making the trip up for this...  Can't wait to see Discovery in her new home.  :)
Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer
Space Shuttle Mission Control Center
http://space.balettie.com/

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #21 on: 03/12/2012 05:25 pm »
I know it's in the T&R topic, but thought it should be cross-posted here:

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/social/social_discovery_move041912.html

NASA Social: Welcome Discovery to Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum

Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum and NASA will host 30 of their social media followers at the museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Va., to welcome space shuttle Discovery to the national collection. Participants are allowed to bring one guest.

The event will be the first NASA Social, where fans and followers from multiple social networks including Twitter, Facebook and Google + are invited to participate. This Discovery Social is planning for April 19, 2012.

Discovery is expected to land at Washington-Dulles International Airport on April 17 and will be officially transferred by NASA into the Smithsonian’s collection in an outdoor ceremony open to the public on April 19. The April 19 event will begin with Discovery’s arrival from adjacent Dulles Airport, onto the tow road behind the Center.

NASA Social participants will have the opportunity to:

- tour the Udvar-Hazy Center and explore the amazing collection of aviation and space objects on display
- speak with museum curators, NASA scientists and engineers
- view and take photographs of space shuttles Enterprise and Discovery together for the first time in history
- meet fellow space enthusiasts who are active on social media
- meet members of the Smithsonian and NASA's social media teams.

What is a NASA Social?
A NASA Social is an informal meeting of people who use social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Google +. Participants at this event will be provided a unique in-person experience with the National Air and Space museum and NASA, which they are encouraged to share with others through their favorite social network.

How do I register?
Registration opens at noon on March 15 and closes at noon on Friday, March 16. Thirty (30) participants will be randomly selected from online registrations. Each participant may invite one guest; all must be 13 and older.

Registration is for one person and their guest and is non-transferable.

Do I need to have a social media account to register?
Yes. This event is designed for active social media users who follow Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum and NASA on Twitter (@airandspace, @NASA, @NASASocial), Facebook (NASA, National Air and Space Museum) or Google + (NASA, National Air and Space Museum). The goal of NASA Social is to allow people who regularly interact with each other via social networks to meet in person and discuss the museum, NASA, aviation and space.

Users on all social networks are encouraged to use the hashtag #OV103 and #NASASocial. Updates and information about the event will be shared on Twitter via @airandspace and @NASASocial and via posts to Facebook and Google+.

What are the registration requirements?
Registration indicates your intent to travel to the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Va., and attend the April 19 event in person. You are responsible for your own expenses for travel, accommodation, food and other amenities.

Some events and participants scheduled to appear at the event are subject to change without notice. The Smithsonian is not responsible for loss or damage incurred as a result of attending. The Smithsonian, moreover, is not responsible for loss or damage incurred if the event is cancelled with limited or no notice. Please plan accordingly.

On the day of the event, registrants must show a valid government issued ID (driver's license or passport) that matches the name provided on the registration. Those without proper identification cannot be admitted. All participants will be asked to sign a photo release form allowing the Smithsonian or NASA to use images or video taken of you during the event. Participants under 18 must have a parent or guardian sign for them. You will also be briefed on guidelines designed to respect the privacy of the Museum visitors.

Can I register if I am not a U.S. citizen?
Yes, non-U.S. citizens may register to attend the event. Please indicate your country of citizenship in the drop-down menu during registration. Please note and follow the above requirements regarding valid identification and signing of a photo release.

Does my registration include a guest?
Participants are allowed to bring one guest. If you are selected to attend, registration provides a place for you and one guest and is non-transferable. Registrants must be 18 or older, and guests must be 13 or older.

What if I cannot come to Virginia?
If you cannot come to Virginia to attend in person, you should not register for this event. You can follow the conversation on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter using the #OV103 hashtag. You can also watch the April 19 ceremony on NASA TV at http://www.nasa.gov/ntv. The Museum and NASA will provide regular updates on all three social networks. Check out http://discovery.si.edu for more information on how you can participate.

If you cannot make this event, don't despair; both the Smithsonian and NASA are planning others in the near future. Check back for future Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum events at http://airandspace.si.edu and NASA events at http://www.nasa.gov/social.

When will I know if I am selected?
After registrations have been received and processed, an email with confirmation information and additional instructions will be sent to those selected and those on the waitlist. We expect to send notifications by March 21.

If you do not make the registration list for this NASA Social, you can still attend the public activities at the museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center and participate in the conversation online. Find out about all the ways you can participate in Discovery’s arrival at http://discovery.si.edu.

What if Discovery’s arrival dates change?
All activities related to space shuttle Discovery’s arrival are weather dependent. If the dates change, the NASA Social will be rescheduled for the new date of the transfer ceremony. Participants will be notified by email. Attendees are responsible for any additional costs they incur related to any rescheduling of the event.

Does registration for and/or attendance at this NASA Social qualify me for media accreditation?
No, your registration and/or attendance does not qualify you for news media credentials at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, now or in the future.

Have a question not answered here? Need more information? Help is available by sending an email to [email protected]

For more information about the arrival of space shuttle Discovery: http://discovery.si.edu

Come back starting at noon EDT on Thursday, March 15, to sign up. Registration closes at noon Friday, March 16.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #22 on: 03/12/2012 05:41 pm »
I realize the press release says that the flight path over the DC area will not be made public, but what are the chances that SCA will overfly the National Mall?

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 03/12/2012 05:43 pm »
I realize the press release says that the flight path over the DC area will not be made public, but what are the chances that SCA will overfly the National Mall?

As long as the weather is favorable, I'd say they're good.  They'd be foolish to miss out on the opportunity to photograph the duo with Capitol Hill.
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #24 on: 03/12/2012 05:51 pm »

As long as the weather is favorable, I'd say they're good.  They'd be foolish to miss out on the opportunity to photograph the duo with Capitol Hill.

That's what I'm thinking.

There has to be a way to deduce this from the FAA. That's restricted airspace, so they have to grant waivers. There should be NOTAM's on or near the day of, also. I just don't see how you keep a lid on that info.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #25 on: 03/12/2012 06:17 pm »

That's what I'm thinking.

There has to be a way to deduce this from the FAA. That's restricted airspace, so they have to grant waivers. There should be NOTAM's on or near the day of, also. I just don't see how you keep a lid on that info.

Not being a pilot, I can't answer the FAA/NOTAM question (and I'd really like to hear from those who can!)  However, it looks like we could get some late-breaking information by following the SCA on FlightAware.com.  It usually goes by the call sign "NASA 905," found here:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA905

It also bears the US aircraft registration "N905NA":

http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N905NA

For what it's worth, the other SCA, #911, was retired last month: 

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/Features/sca_911_final_flight.html

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #26 on: 03/12/2012 06:43 pm »

Not being a pilot, I can't answer the FAA/NOTAM question (and I'd really like to hear from those who can!)  However, it looks like we could get some late-breaking information by following the SCA on FlightAware.com.  It usually goes by the call sign "NASA 905," found here:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA905

It also bears the US aircraft registration "N905NA":

http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N905NA

For what it's worth, the other SCA, #911, was retired last month: 

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/Features/sca_911_final_flight.html

A scanner would be a good thing to bring. Tune Washington ARTCC, Dulles approach, Dulles tower and probably also Reagan approach. All those will have to talk to SCA at some point. Real-time info, not internet-delayed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Air_Route_Traffic_Control_Center

SCA will be with Washington center as soon as it gets over North Carolina. It'll be with Jacksonville first after departing KSC. Handoff is over NC somewhere. Once it gets near Dulles, Washington center will hand it off to approach, with a frequency to use. This stuff is easy with my airport, RDU, because there is only one approach frequency. Dulles will have more than one, hence the need to listen in on the ARTCC.
« Last Edit: 03/12/2012 06:51 pm by wolfpack »

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #27 on: 03/13/2012 08:06 pm »
I'll be going to DC in time for the April 19th ceremony and the weekend.  I won't be there in time to see Discovery fly in atop the 747 unless that flight is delayed.  But I'm looking forward to seeing Discovery enter her new home.

I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Cricet

• Liked: 0
« Reply #28 on: 03/19/2012 02:14 am »
I've searched around and haven't been able to find anything.

For those of us near KSC, where is the best place to catch a glimpse of this leaving for Dulles?

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #29 on: 03/19/2012 02:34 am »
Probably depends which way they take off, although I wouldn't be surprised if they do fly-by's prior to departing the airspace so probably anywhere?

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #30 on: 03/19/2012 12:02 pm »
If I read the CFR correctly, there's no regulation for overflights of downtown DC separate from the more general restrictions of Flight Restricted Zone, which covers most of the metro area inside the Beltway.  It appears, then, that a NASA flight would need to obtain "prior FAA approval" for any flight operations, regardless of which side of the Potomac it overflew.  (DOD flights have a more general exemption.)  The SCA would also need to file an appropriate flight plan and transmit an assigned transponder code.  The same would apply to any non-DOD chase planes following the SCA for photography work.  See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/93/341

Does anyone know more about the process for obtaining the required FAA approval?

If approval is granted, I wonder if there will even be a NOTAM for a temporary flight restriction, since the airspace is already so heavily regulated?  If there is a TFR, I believe it will be posted here:  http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/ns/scale3/tile_4_3.html  (Note the example there of a TFR for "VIP movement."  See also: https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/noticesAction.do?queryType=ALLTFR&formatType=DOMESTIC  All NOTAMs for the DC vicinity (i.e., not just TFRs) can be found here:  https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/

Anyone else have any thoughts on monitoring Discovery's flyover plans?

Offline scotty125

• Museum Docent/Leicester City Fan
  • Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #31 on: 03/19/2012 06:14 pm »
So I was able to finalize my arrangements to get to DC to see Discovery's arrival.  I guess the next question is, what are the chances of an NSF event so we can all get together.  Maybe dinner on the 18th or a get-together at Udvar-Hazy during the ceremonies on the 19th?  Would be a lot of fun...I'd be more than willing to help out if needed...
"He who will not, when he may, when he should, he shall have nay."
TV Commercial - Gulf Oil during Apollo Landings

Offline lsullivan411

• NASASpaceflight KSC Photographer
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #32 on: 03/21/2012 02:18 am »
So I was able to finalize my arrangements to get to DC to see Discovery's arrival.  I guess the next question is, what are the chances of an NSF event so we can all get together.  Maybe dinner on the 18th or a get-together at Udvar-Hazy during the ceremonies on the 19th?  Would be a lot of fun...I'd be more than willing to help out if needed...

We actually talked about this tonight when we were having our MaxQ team planning meeting for the trip up there. 

We would put together a dinner likely for the night of the 18th, the when and where TBD.  If anyone is local to the area and would like to suggest a place, we'd be happy to work on the details.  You can PM myself or astrobrian, and we can talk details.  Chris G, who did such a fantastic job of setting up the NSF pre-launch dinners has offered to help us with the details as well, though he won't be able to make it up there.

Look for an announcement in the coming days after we get more info on a good place and time, and we'll get this done!

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #33 on: 03/21/2012 03:19 pm »
Anyone here register for the NASA Social event?

I did, haven't heard back yet.

Edit: I did just get a giant "NO" from Twitter. Oh, well, I'll just show up early on the 19th. Can't win 'em all. :(
« Last Edit: 03/22/2012 12:13 pm by wolfpack »

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #34 on: 03/27/2012 11:00 pm »
If I read the CFR correctly, there's no regulation for overflights of downtown DC separate from the more general restrictions of Flight Restricted Zone, which covers most of the metro area inside the Beltway. 

I consulted with a local general aviation pilot and learned a bit more about overflying downtown DC.  In addition to the FRZ, there are two prohibited areas under 14 CFR 73 controlled by the US Secret Service that would bar the SCA with Discovery from flying directly over the National Mall, Capitol building or White House.  (See P-56 on the attached chart.)  Odds seem good that even a VIP NASA flight would stay out of this zone while visiting DC.  I imagine there would be still be photogenic opportunities with the memorials and civic buildings in the background.

Offline K466

• Central Florida
    • I post my NASA pictures here- plus other stuff
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #35 on: 03/29/2012 11:43 am »
Hey guys, I could drive over to KSC to watch Discovery leave. Will there be a fly around? Where can I get the best view of an SCA/Shuttle leaving? I imagine that I could get a lot closer and with it's slower movement, much  better pictures.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 03/29/2012 11:43 am by K466 »
""There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil, to one who is striking at the root."" ~Henry David Thoreau

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #36 on: 03/30/2012 04:16 am »
Can anyone say "practice run"?  ;D   Pretty much the same time of day as Discovery and the SCA are expected to arrive over Washington on April 17.  At only 1,500 feet in altitude, they should provide a stunning view from the ground.  Might be able to get a preview of the eventual groundtrack using http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/T38

March 29, 2012

Michael Curie
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100
[email protected]

MEDIA ADVISORY: M12-053

NASA T-38 AIRCRAFT TO FLY OVER WASHINGTON METRO AREA APRIL 5

WASHINGTON -- NASA, in cooperation with the Federal Aviation Administration, will conduct training and photographic flights on Thursday, April 5, over the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.

Two T-38 training jets will fly approximately 1,500 feet above Washington between 9:30 and 11 a.m. EDT. These flights are intended to capture photographic imagery.

If the flights must be cancelled for any reason, they will be rescheduled and an additional notice will be released.

For more information about NASA's use of T-38 training jets, visit:

http://go.nasa.gov/H3S4qK

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #37 on: 03/30/2012 05:30 pm »
Hey guys, I could drive over to KSC to watch Discovery leave. Will there be a fly around? Where can I get the best view of an SCA/Shuttle leaving? I imagine that I could get a lot closer and with it's slower movement, much  better pictures.

Thanks

They haven't really said anything about it, yet.  I'd be surprised if they didn't do some sort of victory lap around the area but no idea where they'd go.  As for viewing, MAYBE the VC, but they'd need to take off from Runway 15 (north to south).
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #38 on: 03/30/2012 08:05 pm »
The only thing I've heard is that the ferry would take-off early (daybreak).  (Subject to change and weather.)  Not sure how that would affect the flight path out of the area, but they may be leaving at 6:30 am local or thereabouts if that's the case.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2012 08:06 pm by psloss »

Offline RamjetFDO

• Space Cadet
  • Flight FDO... burn complete, no further trim reqd.
  • Austin, TX
    • -t h e t r e n c h-
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #39 on: 03/31/2012 08:23 pm »
Got my invitation and lapel pin!  Psyched to see Discovery in her new home in a couple of weeks!

Roger Balettie
former Flight Dynamics Officer
Space Shuttle Mission Control Center
http://space.balettie.com/

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography