Author Topic: NASA managers approve STS-135 mission planning for June 28, 2011 launch  (Read 156521 times)

Offline steveS

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
An early version of the STS-135 flight plan is at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/network/news/space/home/flightdata/flightplan.html#135

Technically is the planned EVA-1  a STS-135 EVA or an ISS EVA? (The two spacewalkers mentioned are from the ISS crew and not from the shuttle crew)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853

Technically is the planned EVA-1  a STS-135 EVA or an ISS EVA? (The two spacewalkers mentioned are from the ISS crew and not from the shuttle crew)

I believe it will/is classified as an ISS EVA.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
I hope STS-135 becomes a reality: I'm putting together a plan that brings my Wife and I to KSC to see the launch. From Auckland, N.Z. to Merritt Island, Florida!! I was last there in May 1996... ;)

Who else wants to/IS going?!
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline steveS

Any info about upcoming processing flow major events for Atlantis on STS-135 ?. NASA KSC twitter site says "Techs will work through the weekend on ground equipment for Atlantis' ammonia system, which cools hardware while the shuttle's in orbit"

Online Chris Bergin

ASAP and Shuttle Program concerned over continuing STS-135 uncertainty - by Philip Sloss:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/asap-shuttle-concerned-continuing-sts-135-uncertainty/

Dedicated thread for this article is on the Space Policy section, given that is the heavy angle of the report.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

I wonder when STs-135 receives funding, whether or not more EVa's will be added as has been the case with Sts-133 and STS-134, especially for those "orphan" tasks.

Offline Space Pete

A photo of Ron Garan & Mike Fossum in the NBL yesterday, training for the EVA to install the failed PM onto the LMC.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline steveS

"Techs are installing the strongest type heat shield tiles today on shuttle Atlantis' underside where the external fuel tank is attached" -- NASA Kennedy twitter http://twitter.com/nasakennedy

Offline steveS

By now, has NASA finalized the ET-138 - ET-122 swap decision between Endeavour and Atlantis?

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
By now, has NASA finalized the ET-138 - ET-122 swap decision between Endeavour and Atlantis?

Don't think it will be "final" until the ET/SRB Mate Review later this month. But all internal documents are showing the switch, yes.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU

I wonder when STs-135 receives funding, whether or not more EVa's will be added as has been the case with Sts-133 and STS-134, especially for those "orphan" tasks.

Doubtful. The mission just does not have the crew support for EVAs - hence why the only scheduled EVA for this flight will be conducted by the ISS crew, not Atlantis's crew.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16

To expand on what Geb said, it's important to remember that STS-133 and STS-134 each have a crew of six.  STS-135 has a crew of four and they'll be tied up with transfers from the MPLM the whole time.
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU

To expand on what Geb said, it's important to remember that STS-133 and STS-134 each have a crew of six.  STS-135 has a crew of four and they'll be tied up with transfers from the MPLM the whole time.

And to go off of what Nate said, remember, also, that because of the 4 person crew size, STS-135 is planned to rendezvous and dock with the ISS on FD-4 instead of the traditional FD-3.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

And to go off of what Nate said, remember, also, that because of the 4 person crew size, STS-135 is planned to rendezvous and dock with the ISS on FD-4 instead of the traditional FD-3.

understand about the shuttle crew, but wondering about adding EVA's for the station crew. I remember that USOS eva's have some kind of issue with gas recharging being an issue, and the only way to recharge is shuttle, so that is why most EVA's occur during docked ops.

Offline steveS

Bolden had said "extra Shuttle flight will protect against private spaceship delays" on November 16 at the Marshall Space Flight Center.

http://www.spacenews.com/civil/101119-extra-flights-needed-hedge-cots-delays.html

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU

understand about the shuttle crew, but wondering about adding EVA's for the station crew. I remember that USOS eva's have some kind of issue with gas recharging being an issue, and the only way to recharge is shuttle, so that is why most EVA's occur during docked ops.

Doubtful. The mission is currently classed as a 12+0+2 day flight with a docking on FD-3 and undocking on FD-11 -- landing on FD-13.

EVA-1 is currently planned for FD-5 with FI on FD-6 (if needed).

Here's the preliminary timeline: http://www.cbsnews.com/network/news/space/home/flightdata/flightplan.html#135

NOTE: FD-3 docking was under evaluation a few months ago for the express purpose of gaining additional docked time for the already crowded schedule.
« Last Edit: 11/23/2010 01:16 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline steveS

Earlier in one of Chris B's STS-135 articles, the mission duration was mentioned as 11+1+2 days. Has it now been changed to 12+0+2 days ?

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
Earlier in one of Chris B's STS-135 articles, the mission duration was mentioned as 11+1+2 days. Has it now been changed to 12+0+2 days ?

Yes, it has. If you have L2 access, reference the Nov. 9, 2010 FAWG.

Offline Ray125

• California
if STS-134 launch is push back to April 1. will the STS-135 mission be push back also?

Online Chris Bergin

if STS-134 launch is push back to April 1. will the STS-135 mission be push back also?

Well that's the NET for 134 at this time. STS-135 is placed at the end of June, so the spacing is still ok. In fact, NASA has wanted to launch 135 as late as they'd be allowed to via funding (preference for July, maybe August), as the purpose of 135 is to leave the ISS in the best possible config prior to COTS/CRS being fully on line.

So technically, this 133 slip isn't all that bad at all for 135. The battle which remains is to gain the required funding.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2010 02:57 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography