Author Topic: School Project for naming satellites  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Margaret G

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
School Project for naming satellites
« on: 08/21/2018 02:58 pm »
Firstly, thank you again to Chris and the team here for providing our school with rolling complementary L2 allowance over the years, it's been such a help and inspiration to be able to show our students far more than the less-than-great NASA.gov outreach and overbearing educational materials.

I would now like to call on NSF members on a project idea I have for my 8th graders where they envision their own satellite. We'll be looking to help them use Rocket Builder or some other route to then launch their satellite, but that may require more hands on help. For now, I want them to create their own satellite.

We'll start with naming their spacecraft and then drawing it via a design process using current designs. We won't be getting too deep, so no KU-band overviews, I just want them to feel it's their satellite and that will be the starting point.

I noticed some great names for satellites, like Superbird, so if anyone has a good idea per how to providing a naming process, that would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 08/21/2018 02:59 pm by Margaret G »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: School Project for naming satellites
« Reply #1 on: 08/21/2018 03:09 pm »
You can look here on Gunter's page.

https://space.skyrocket.de/directories/sat.htm

Many used ethnic or local names.

Offline HarrisPeters

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: 08/21/2018 03:34 pm »
Firstly, thank you again to Chris and the team here for providing our school with rolling complementary L2 allowance over the years, it's been such a help and inspiration to be able to show our students far more than the less-than-great NASA.gov outreach and overbearing educational materials.

I would now like to call on NSF members on a project idea I have for my 8th graders where they envision their own satellite. We'll be looking to help them use Rocket Builder or some other route to then launch their satellite, but that may require more hands on help. For now, I want them to create their own satellite.

We'll start with naming their spacecraft and then drawing it via a design process using current designs. We won't be getting too deep, so no KU-band overviews, I just want them to feel it's their satellite and that will be the starting point.

I noticed some great names for satellites, like Superbird, so if anyone has a good idea per how to providing a naming process, that would be greatly appreciated.

We did something similar!

Naming convention was for small kids, but it worked.

Favorite Color.
Favorite Animal.
Favorite Number.

BlueDog10. ;D You could do combinations around that, but was an easy route in.

PS BlueDog10 was both KU and KA with a steerable antenna! ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 08/21/2018 04:30 pm »

Hey Margaret -

Rocket Builder will be very useful for linking their birds up with a rocket:
 https://www.rocketbuilder.com/start/configure

You should then send their parents a letter asking to fund their launch! ;D

Or go with small sats and look at RideShare.
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/11/free-cubesat-rideshares-offered-ula-atlas-v-launches/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 08/21/2018 04:31 pm »

Naming convention was for small kids, but it worked.

Favorite Color.
Favorite Animal.
Favorite Number.

RedHorse7 - definitely a GEO bird. ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Gary NASA

• KSC
  • Liked: 4867
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #5 on: 08/21/2018 04:57 pm »
Jim's list is good. A local or personal name to make it their satellite and go from there. You can see the build specs of most sats on websites like SES, etc.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography