Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Hotbird 13F : Florida : 15 October 2022 (05:22 UTC)  (Read 65723 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
NextSpaceFlight lists a launch with a satellite for Eutelsat in November that will expend B1049
Based on the Eutelsat launch schedule this could be any of 10B, Hotbird 13F, Hotbird 13G.  All of them are electric propulsion and due to enter service in either H1 2023 or Q2/Q3 2023.

Cross-post; no changes to Hotbird 13F or 13G in-service quarters:
The Eutelsat 10B in-service date has now slipped from H1 2023 to Q3 2023.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220725005935/en/Eutelsat-Communications-Full-Year-2021-22-Results [July 26]
« Last Edit: 07/28/2022 09:14 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline GWR64

• Germany
  • Liked: 1697
  • Likes Given: 1042
This short term launch order could be the result of a canceled ILS Proton-M launch.
Probably for one of the two Hotbird satellites.

2.4 Impacts of the Russo-Ukrainian war
As of 30 June 2022, Eutelsat S.A. had a receivable of 37 million dollars from a supplier of fixed assets, ILS, following the termination of a launcher contract. The ability to recover this receivable will be reassessed at regular intervals as required by developments in the situation.

source: https://www.eutelsat.com/files/PDF/investors/2021-22/EC_consolidated_financial_statements_FY22.pdf

The apparently well-informed Stefan Barensky had already given a hint there.
The answer from Eutelsat CEO Eva Berneke was interesting.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=OsTNX-Krby8&t=3523s
« Last Edit: 08/06/2022 10:22 am by GWR64 »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
This short term launch order could be the result of a canceled ILS Proton-M launch.
As of 30 June 2022, Eutelsat S.A. had a receivable of 37 million dollars from a supplier of fixed assets, ILS, following the termination of a launcher contract. The ability to recover this receivable will be reassessed at regular intervals as required by developments in the situation.

source: https://www.eutelsat.com/files/PDF/investors/2021-22/EC_consolidated_financial_statements_FY22.pdf
Or the loss on an unused launch option or options?
See this thread: ILS Proton-M - Eutelsat launches 2016-2023 Agreement
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline GWR64

• Germany
Re: Ariane 64 VA2XX - Eutelsat Hotbird 13F & 13G (?) - 2023?
« Reply #23 on: 08/09/2022 07:42 pm »
Airbus Space
@AirbusSpace
✅ The first two Eurostar Neo 🛰️🛰️ have passed mechanical tests, demonstrating they can withstand the harsh conditions they will face during launch.
@Eutelsat_SA  #HOTBIRD 13F and 13G are almost ready for the launchpad! 🚀

https://twitter.com/AirbusSpace/status/1556655585491390464

This is the thread for these two satellites.
Even if the two don't launch together on an Ariane 64. My opinion.
Most likely with another launch provider, separately.
« Last Edit: 08/09/2022 07:46 pm by GWR64 »

Offline Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #24 on: 08/10/2022 10:45 am »
This is the thread for these two satellites.
Even if the two don't launch together on an Ariane 64. My opinion.
Most likely with another launch provider, separately.

Wouldn't it be better to create 1 thread for each satellite, if combined launch isn't sure ?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #25 on: 08/10/2022 02:17 pm »
There are threads for launches.  If this launch is no more then new threads will be created for the new launches.
« Last Edit: 08/10/2022 02:19 pm by gongora »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Intelsat made some FCC ground station filings to support LEOP of "Hotbird F1", which isn't actually a real name.  I'm guessing that should be Hotbird 13F.  The launch date given is October 17.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2022 05:27 pm by gongora »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
Intelsat made some FCC ground station filings to support LEOP of "Hotbird F1", which isn't actually a real name.  I'm guessing that should be Hotbird 13F.  The launch date given is October 17.
I'm guessing that you meant Eutelsat. I didn't know that the two companies were collaborating.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Airbus contracted with Intelsat for ground station support.  The filing was from Intelsat.  The satellite is not Intelsat's.

Online scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1596

Wouldn't Hotbird 13G be more likely? The plan seems to be for it to launch before 13F (based on the table a few posts above).

Maybe F1 isn't a typo, but some kind of alternative designation?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Could be 13G

Offline GWR64

• Germany

Or the loss on an unused launch option or options?
See this thread: ILS Proton-M - Eutelsat launches 2016-2023 Agreement

37 million dollars for an option?  It also says launcher contract.

With the highly flexible Breeze-M, Eutelsat would have had an excellent orbit for an all-electric 4.5t Hotbird.
The Falcon-9 can't do that, not even expendable.

Wouldn't Hotbird 13G be more likely? The plan seems to be for it to launch before 13F (based on the table a few posts above).

Maybe F1 isn't a typo, but some kind of alternative designation?

It may also be that Hotbird 13G gets the better orbit, i.e. an expendable Falcon 9.
With Hotbird 13G, Eutelsat wants to get the money for the EGNOS payload as soon as possible.
A total of 100 million euros in 15 years.
Hotbird 13F is not so urgent, but should also be launched this year.
I think both will be shipped from France to Florida together by boat and will be launched in quick succession.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2022 06:23 pm by GWR64 »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 08/16/2022 09:47 pm »
More regarding the launch of a Eutelsat geocom satellite aboard an expendable Falcon 9.  Hotbird 13G?
Intelsat made some FCC ground station filings to support LEOP of "Hotbird F1", which isn't actually a real name.  I'm guessing that should be Hotbird 13F.  The launch date given is October 17.  [Filing dated August 15.]
Could be 13G
It may also be that Hotbird 13G gets the better orbit, i.e. an expendable Falcon 9.
With Hotbird 13G, Eutelsat wants to get the money for the EGNOS payload as soon as possible.
A total of 100 million euros in 15 years.
Hotbird 13F is not so urgent, but should also be launched this year.
<snip>
« Last Edit: 08/30/2022 08:49 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
Why do we think this satellite exists at all? No one can seem to find which satellite is even being talked about nor has Eutelsat mentioned using Falcon 9 at all, which would be historically unusual for them as they always use Ariane vehicles. I would think there would be some kind of peep given that we're now less than 2 months out from launch.

And of all the satellites mentioned on this page, they're all listed by Gunter as using Ariane 5 or Ariane 6 vehicles.

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/eutelsat-10b.htm
https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/hotbird-13f.htm
« Last Edit: 08/21/2022 08:55 am by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Now there's a filing for LEOP ground station support of the other Hotbird sat, NET November 7.  Again no launch details given.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Re: CANCELLED? - Ariane 64 VA2XX - Eutelsat Hotbird 13F & 13G
« Reply #36 on: 08/30/2022 08:43 pm »
Cross-post; regarding Hotbird 13F?
Now there's a filing for LEOP ground station support of the other Hotbird sat [Hotbird F2], NET November 7.  Again no launch details given.  [Aug 30]

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Now there's a filing for LEOP ground station support of the other Hotbird sat, NET November 7.  Again no launch details given.
If Hotbird 13F launches on another Falcon 9, might Eutelsat pay for SpaceX to expend another older first stage?  To maximize the GTO and minimizing the delta-v and time to achieve GEO?

I think both [Hotbirds] will be shipped from France to Florida together by boat and will be launched in quick succession.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2022 09:06 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline GWR64

• Germany
Hotbird-F1
Intelsat expects the LEOP period to last approximately 150 days.

vs.

Hotbird-F2
Intelsat expects the LEOP to last approximately 165 days.

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5917
  • Likes Given: 945
If Hotbird 13F launches on another Falcon 9, might Eutelsat pay for SpaceX to expend another older first stage?  To maximize the GTO and minimizing the delta-v and time to achieve GEO?

I think both [Hotbirds] will be shipped from France to Florida together by boat and will be launched in quick succession.

My thinking is that the one that has expendable first stage has iSpace as their rideshare and adds enough mass to need an expendable launch to GTO. But that's a total guess.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography