Poll

How many successful landings of F9 first stages (cores) will SpaceX have in 2017?

None, all the landings so far were flukes (or fakes)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
2 (1.2%)
6 (3.6%)
1 (0.6%)
11 (6.5%)
15 (8.9%)
17 (10.1%)
17 (10.1%)
19 (11.2%)
9 (5.3%)
19 (11.2%)
11 (6.5%)
11 (6.5%)
4 (2.4%)
7 (4.1%)
4 (2.4%)
4 (2.4%)
1 (0.6%)
20 or more
11 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: 01/19/2017 07:16 pm

Author Topic: POLL: Successful landings of F9 first stages (cores) by SpaceX in 2017?  (Read 23047 times)

my vote of 16 is looking a tad optimistic at this point.... but I'm OK with that.
Maybe, but considering they're becoming very good at this and that all the remaining missions for this year may fly reusable... we could get there with 'just' 6 more flights plus the FH demo  ;)
Failure is not only an option, it's the only way to learn.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the custody of fire" - Gustav Mahler

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
I voted 20+.

So with 7 so far and the other 3 EXPD, it will take another 12 which includes the FH demo to get to 20 since 1 of those 14 may be an EXPD flight. Another 12 is actually currently reasonable number for the rest of the year. The turning point is when will LC-40 launch Sept? Oct? Later? The longer the pad is delayed the lower the chances of both a FH demo flight this year and for other launches a combined LC-39A and LC-40 to reach 7 launches for Aug thru Dec.

It is a wait and see on the restoration of LC-40.

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
Currently sitting at 9.
Probable recovery attempts via this thread
OTV 5
Iridium 3
Koreasat-5
Iridium 4
FH Demo
CRS 13
SES 16
Bangabadhu
Paz

So far this year if SpaceX attempted a landing they did land. If all these missions launch this year (and FH doesn't blow up), they will get 11 more landings this year for a total of 20 landings.

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
So that's me out of the count now, I voted 9. It is very unlikely that it won't increase in the remaining months of the calendar year- and my conservative (perhaps pessimistic) outlook was clearly wrong.

This is good news if they keep surprising us in this way... well they surprised me at least.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Looks like my 16 has a good chance if there is significant manifest slippage, but will (barely) undershoot if they keep up the 2.5 week cadence... and undershoot more if they pick up the pace. (the FH launch, if it happens, hurts me as it gets 3 landings! :) )
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Looks like my 16 has a good chance if there is significant manifest slippage, but will (barely) undershoot if they keep up the 2.5 week cadence... and undershoot more if they pick up the pace. (the FH launch, if it happens, hurts me as it gets 3 landings! :) )

I've also chosen 16 and think it might be an underestimate.  FH may destroy our guestimate -- don't mind going out that way.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
The landings are becoming routine. That was much faster then I (and it looks like most people based on this poll) predicted.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
I voted 10, and it looks like I'll be wrong too.  I'm ecstatic about that!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Eagandale4114

Currently sitting at 9.
Probable recovery attempts via this thread
OTV 5
Iridium 3
Koreasat-5
Iridium 4
FH Demo
CRS 13
SES 16
Bangabadhu
Paz

So far this year if SpaceX attempted a landing they did land. If all these missions launch this year (and FH doesn't blow up), they will get 11 more landings this year for a total of 20 landings.

Now at 12 landings. The probable recovery attempts via this thread

Koreasat 5A
CRS 13
Iridium 4

I think we will get 15 landings this year. If FH does fly late this year we might get 18 but that seems unlikely.

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
16 seems like the most likely number now the Zuma in the works and FH slipping. What is perhaps more important than the number is that there have been no landing failures since Eutelsat in Q2 2016, and only three ditched cores in 15 flights. Landings are completely operational including dedicated refurbishment facilities and operational reflights. I was a bit disillusioned last year by Amos-6, but SpaceX has definitely followed through this year (except for FH).

I voted 12, thinking that they would have fewer total launches and the Falcon Heavy would fly.

Offline Eagandale4114

With the surprise cancellation of Iridium 4’s landing we are now at 14 1st stage landings this year.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
Well, dang - I picked 14!!   For the highly technical reason that my birthday is on the 14th ...

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Well, dang - I picked 14!!   For the highly technical reason that my birthday is on the 14th ...
Well done. I was off by 2 but I have no regrets.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
I guessed 14 because I expected 4 to fail on hot GTO landings. I was surprised by the 4 expendable flights.

Offline Tass

• Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 208
In this also they managed to double my prediction. I went for 9 launches, they got 18. I predicted 7 landings, they got 14.

Amazing year.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography