Author Topic: Any suggestions why my Dad has lost access to these forums?  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Spider1

• Australia
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 4
Hi NASA Spaceflight forum participants!
My dad has been following these forums as long as I can remember (based in Australia) but he is for some reason he cannot open any as it is ‘timing him out’, nor allowing him to access to apply to the L2 forums.
I am entirely new to the forums, just trying to work out this issue on his behalf. Is there an email address for the powers that be here in case he has been kicked out for some reason?
Thank you, hope someone can help.

Offline Chris Bergin

A few Aussies have said Australian IP Optus blocked access to the forum (as apparently they think all PHP forums are pushing sites (stupid). Tell him to use a different provider or a proxy. That's out of our control, but the two who flagged it say alt provider or proxy solves that.

Tell him to send "NSF is not a phishing site to [email protected]

Also:

If you use an Australian ISP and use their default DNS servers, you will encounter these issues. In Australia, only DNS blocks are enforced.

If you wish to bypass it, you don't need to use a VPN. You can simply change your DNS server to any DNS server you like.

Common ones are:
--
8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 (Google)
1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 (CloudFlare)
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 04:32 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Spider1

• Australia
Thank you for your help, Chris, on behalf of myself and my dad. Optus are not being helpful, it is definitely the source of the issue.
Thanks again.

Offline Spider1

• Australia
Hi Chris,
I received this from my Dad today following contact with Optus, this is their response. Neither of us understand phishing, any ideas? I’m thinking he may just have to change internet providers?
Hopefully this photo loads.
Thanks for trying to help.

Offline Chris Bergin

Sounds like nonsense. The forum is hosted by Digital Ocean. Cloudflare is the DNS. Passed it on to the webmaster :)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline bstrong

• Liked: 704
  • Likes Given: 454
Hmm, this actually looks like a legitimate issue:

https://cxsecurity.com/issue/WLB-2019030006

I tried, and it does in fact work on this site, which is a problem for reasons explained here:

https://www.netsparker.com/blog/web-security/open-redirection-vulnerability-information-prevention/

It is not impossible that Optus has found someone exploiting it for phishing attacks.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
Hmm, this actually looks like a legitimate issue:

https://cxsecurity.com/issue/WLB-2019030006

I tried, and it does in fact work on this site, which is a problem for reasons explained here:

https://www.netsparker.com/blog/web-security/open-redirection-vulnerability-information-prevention/

It is not impossible that Optus has found someone exploiting it for phishing attacks.

Thanks for pointing this out! A fix was implemented minutes ago and the "exploit" (redirect) doesn't work anymore to sites other than NSF itself.

Offline widow18

• Australia
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
I am back on.  Thanks to Bstrong and webmaster.

Peter

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
I am back on.  Thanks to Bstrong and webmaster.

Peter
Welcome (back) to NASA Spaceflight.com!
Paul

Offline Spider1

• Australia
So I can stand down?
Thank you everyone involved.

Offline Chris Bergin

So I can stand down?
Thank you everyone involved.

Yep! Thanks for the information and check your messages (PMs - the thing at the top of the forum) as we've got a thank you for your Dad when he gets back in one way or the other.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography