Author Topic: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch  (Read 64622 times)

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Antares A-One Going to View the Launch
« Reply #20 on: 04/09/2013 07:33 pm »
Chris,

Do you need to hike to the end of the beach (looks to be about 3 miles) or can you see the launch from the parking area?

Thanks

I wasn't there on the clearest of days -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsmjr/6181845197/in/set-72157627745593570 -- but given the distance I suspect that brush and grass growing on Toms Cove Hook would obscure Pad 0A from the parking lots.  (Of course you could see the LV after liftoff on a clear day.)  It's a pretty good hike down to Fishing Point, and we're already in the season when off-road vehicles are prohibited on much of the southerly beach.  (Dogs too, FYI.) 

Note also that Hurricane Sandy did a number on the Seashore and Refuge, and we're dealing with the sequestration too, so I would definitely call and check local conditions.  Here's a Flickr set of the damage:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/assateaguenps/sets/72157631953195426/  The website has the following notes:

Virginia District - Beach Parking Update

Due to Hurricane Sandy and the March 6 storm, there is limited parking in the Virginia District. As of 4/4/13 parking lot 1 and part of parking lot 2 are open. All parking lots are expected to be open by Memorial Day weekend.

Assateague Island National Seashore Sequestration Update

As of 3/1/13 both the MD & VA Districts are open. The Assateague Island Visitor Center is open daily 9am-5pm. The Toms Cove Visitor Center is open daily 9am-4pm.

Online chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #21 on: 04/10/2013 04:46 pm »
I recall that I was able to see the pad from the circle at the parking lot, but as you move south from the lot the view does become obscured.

Sandy did a number on the cove and beach.  We took a boat ride on sunday and it was very different from what I saw back in september as well as what is currently on GoogleMaps (which is significantly behind the times as it does not show the new viaduct into town).

As for entry to the park, I did not notice any restrictions due to sequestration but it was the weekend.  I agree a quick call would not hurt
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 04/10/2013 07:59 pm »
The ABSOLUTELY IDEAL location would the SE tip of Toms Cove Hook, past the "Fish Factory Ruins" and South of the old USCG station.

Unfortunately, I saw a Range Safety presentation that implied that the entire Toms Cove Hook was in the stay-out zone for launch...
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #23 on: 04/10/2013 09:31 pm »
Unfortunately, I saw a Range Safety presentation that implied that the entire Toms Cove Hook was in the stay-out zone for launch...

Care to elaborate?  Can't get enough quality info on this issue.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #24 on: 04/10/2013 11:16 pm »
I'm afraid I can't; it was one vugraph in a long presentation, but it showed a straight line, running maybe 130-310 degrees true (a direction that would be perpendicular to the shoreline at the pad?) cutting across maybe the middle of Toms Cove with the label "evacuated for liftoff" or something like that.

I may find out more Thursday during the Dress Rehearsal.
« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 11:16 pm by antonioe »

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #25 on: 04/11/2013 12:36 am »
Not sure if this is correct thread to ask about down range viewing. Has anybody seen a plot of areas where it may be visible from the islands. I am in the Turks and Caicos (south end of the Bahamas) and am wondering if it may be seen from here as it ascends. Thanks for any clues where I might find an answer to this question.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #26 on: 04/11/2013 04:12 pm »
Not sure if this is correct thread to ask about down range viewing. Has anybody seen a plot of areas where it may be visible from the islands. I am in the Turks and Caicos (south end of the Bahamas) and am wondering if it may be seen from here as it ascends. Thanks for any clues where I might find an answer to this question.

It looks like the closest approach of the flight path will be about 700-800 miles northeast of Turks and Caicos.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #27 on: 04/11/2013 06:06 pm »
I wonder if you can extrapolate that from THIS figure.  Hmmm... now that I look at it, the circles become straight lines... no, I think you're out of luck...
« Last Edit: 04/11/2013 06:07 pm by antonioe »

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #28 on: 04/11/2013 06:16 pm »
Yeah... I just asked Carlos Niederstarser (among other things our STK guru) to take a look... too far South of the trajectory...

On the other hand, THE place to be would be Bermuda... 60 degrees elevation, less than 100 miles lateral distance... you would be able to see from stage 1 MECO all the way through Stage 2 burnout...

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #29 on: 04/11/2013 07:05 pm »
Hmmm... I'm in the 5 degree zone, Thanks for the pleasant surprise, wonder if I can get wifi on top of Mt. Wachusett.

So your saying the best seats are in Bermuda... that I might be able to sell to the other half ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #30 on: 04/11/2013 07:06 pm »
Thank you all for the answers, much appreciated.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #31 on: 04/11/2013 07:09 pm »
On the other hand, THE place to be would be Bermuda... 60 degrees elevation, less than 100 miles lateral distance... you would be able to see from stage 1 MECO all the way through Stage 2 burnout...

Which explains: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/news/Bermuda.html

Bermuda Tracking Site Provides Big Boost for Wallops Expendable Launch Vehicle Operations

Following an agreement signed between NASA and Bermuda in early March 2012, range officials at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility have recently completed the successful deployment and check-out of a temporary mobile tracking station on Cooper’s Island, Bermuda.

The successful deployment, completed in August, means NASA’s only launch range now offers the full compliment of range assets for expendable launch vehicle operations.

Along with cost savings, perhaps the biggest impact lies in range scheduling. “Owning, deploying, and controlling our own assets means control over scheduling,” said Steven Kremer, NASA Wallops deputy range manager. “It gives us higher confidence in promising range availability to our customers when they come to Wallops for services. In addition, our services offered from Bermuda will benefit other customers who launch from other ranges such as the United States Air Force’s Eastern Range in Florida.”

NASA’s mobile tracking station in Bermuda provides telemetry, radar, and command and control services. It will support the launch of rockets carrying supplies to the International Space Station or satellites to low-Earth orbit. During a typical ELV launch operation, about 10 range personnel will deploy to Bermuda to configure the mobile tracking station, conduct the operation, and then pack the systems for shipment back to Wallops.

Bermuda has been a long-time partner of NASA in supporting space exploration. The British territory hosted a radar tracking station from the Mercury Project in the early 1960s through most of the Space Shuttle Program.

The Wallops Range provides the operational environment required to ensure safe and successful flight operations for rockets, missiles, aircraft, unmanned aerial systems and a variety of other mission types essential to the scientific, military and commercial use of space.

For more information on the Wallops Range, see:
http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/code840/
« Last Edit: 04/11/2013 07:10 pm by jsmjr »

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #32 on: 04/11/2013 09:39 pm »
The Notice to Mariners has been disseminated for the Antares One launch.

April 11, 2013
Notice to Mariners: Wallops Rocket Launch

What: ANTARES 1 for NASA/ORBITAL RESUPPLY TO STATION EFFORTS
When: April 17 1630 -2030 (Scheduled Operation Day)
April 18 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 19 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 20 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 21 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
Communications: “Wallops Plot” on marine channel 12.
Marine channel 22 is back up.

Contact Wallops Plot when traveling in the area.
Mission updates and completion will be noted on the Wallops launch status line at 757-824-2050. The Army Corp Engineers Danger Zone will be in effect for all launch attempts per 33CFR(Code of Federal Regulations) Part 334. Fines and arrest authority are permissible by U.S. Coast Guard and Virginia Marine Police.
Thank you for your assistance and support.

The NOTMAR identifies three "PSSA" areas by coordinate and map, which extend hundreds of miles down range, none of which precisely coincide with the Corps of Engineers permanent danger zone under 33 CFR 334.130.  See attachment.  I've updated my Google map for the near-shore PSSA1, which, by the way, completely covers Toms Cove Hook, Toms Cove Visitors Center, and the associated parking lots. 
« Last Edit: 04/11/2013 09:44 pm by jsmjr »

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #33 on: 04/11/2013 09:44 pm »

Which explains: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/news/Bermuda.html

Bermuda Tracking Site Provides Big Boost for Wallops Expendable Launch Vehicle Operations

Following an agreement signed between NASA and Bermuda in early March 2012, range officials at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility have recently completed the successful deployment and check-out of a temporary mobile tracking station on Cooper’s Island, Bermuda.

The successful deployment, completed in August, means NASA’s only launch range now offers the full compliment of range assets for expendable launch vehicle operations.

Along with cost savings, perhaps the biggest impact lies in range scheduling. “Owning, deploying, and controlling our own assets means control over scheduling,” said Steven Kremer, NASA Wallops deputy range manager. “It gives us higher confidence in promising range availability to our customers when they come to Wallops for services. In addition, our services offered from Bermuda will benefit other customers who launch from other ranges such as the United States Air Force’s Eastern Range in Florida.”

NASA’s mobile tracking station in Bermuda provides telemetry, radar, and command and control services. It will support the launch of rockets carrying supplies to the International Space Station or satellites to low-Earth orbit. During a typical ELV launch operation, about 10 range personnel will deploy to Bermuda to configure the mobile tracking station, conduct the operation, and then pack the systems for shipment back to Wallops.

Bermuda has been a long-time partner of NASA in supporting space exploration. The British territory hosted a radar tracking station from the Mercury Project in the early 1960s through most of the Space Shuttle Program.

The Wallops Range provides the operational environment required to ensure safe and successful flight operations for rockets, missiles, aircraft, unmanned aerial systems and a variety of other mission types essential to the scientific, military and commercial use of space.

For more information on the Wallops Range, see:
http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/code840/

The image of Bermuda tracking station is a "mirror image" - wants flipping around.

Phill

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #34 on: 04/12/2013 04:16 pm »
I wonder if you can extrapolate that from THIS figure.  Hmmm... now that I look at it, the circles become straight lines... no, I think you're out of luck...

Sorry if this is obvious, I'm mostly a lurker here...  Does that drawing mean that if you have a low enough view to the horizon in the locations listed you might be able to see the launch? 

Southern tip of Maine seems pretty far away to see anything.

Online chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #35 on: 04/12/2013 05:32 pm »
The Notice to Mariners has been disseminated for the Antares One launch.

April 11, 2013
Notice to Mariners: Wallops Rocket Launch

What: ANTARES 1 for NASA/ORBITAL RESUPPLY TO STATION EFFORTS
When: April 17 1630 -2030 (Scheduled Operation Day)
April 18 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 19 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 20 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
April 21 1630 -2030 (Back Up Day)
Communications: “Wallops Plot” on marine channel 12.
Marine channel 22 is back up.

Contact Wallops Plot when traveling in the area.
Mission updates and completion will be noted on the Wallops launch status line at 757-824-2050. The Army Corp Engineers Danger Zone will be in effect for all launch attempts per 33CFR(Code of Federal Regulations) Part 334. Fines and arrest authority are permissible by U.S. Coast Guard and Virginia Marine Police.
Thank you for your assistance and support.

The NOTMAR identifies three "PSSA" areas by coordinate and map, which extend hundreds of miles down range, none of which precisely coincide with the Corps of Engineers permanent danger zone under 33 CFR 334.130.  See attachment.  I've updated my Google map for the near-shore PSSA1, which, by the way, completely covers Toms Cove Hook, Toms Cove Visitors Center, and the associated parking lots. 

Im a n00b when it comes to understanding all these warnings/notices....does that mean that Assateague Island is basically out as a viewing location due to the PSSA?
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #36 on: 04/12/2013 05:42 pm »

Sorry if this is obvious, I'm mostly a lurker here...  Does that drawing mean that if you have a low enough view to the horizon in the locations listed you might be able to see the launch? 

Yes, theoretically, with binoculars or telescope, and if you could find a hilltop with an unobstructed view. If it were a night launch the bright trail would be a lot easier to see from a distance, but since this will be a daytime launch it's unlikely that anyone in southern Maine is actually going to see it.

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #37 on: 04/12/2013 06:01 pm »

Yes, theoretically, with binoculars or telescope, and if you could find a hilltop with an unobstructed view. If it were a night launch the bright trail would be a lot easier to see from a distance, but since this will be a daytime launch it's unlikely that anyone in southern Maine is actually going to see it.

How about the Jersey shore?  What are the odds of viewing something from there?  Turns out I might be close to there on Wed.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #38 on: 04/12/2013 06:27 pm »

How about the Jersey shore?  What are the odds of viewing something from there?  Turns out I might be close to there on Wed.

Odds are good if you bring binocs and get right on the water's edge with unobstructed view south/southeast.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #39 on: 04/14/2013 12:45 pm »
From the US FWS:

@jsmjr    09 Apr
Dear @ChincoteagueNWR: What's status for viewing of @OrbitalSciences #Antares launch from @NASA_Wallops 4/17? Parking? Facilities? Access?

@ChincoteagueNWR   12 Apr
@jsmjr All systems are go for viewing #Antares launch from recreational beach. Parking is limited so come early. :O)

(Emphasis added)
« Last Edit: 04/14/2013 12:50 pm by jsmjr »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography