Author Topic: LIVE: Chang'e-3 lunar probe and rover, CZ-3B - Xichang - December 1, 2013  (Read 464707 times)

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
I think this is the reason for which they do not advertise so much their missions until they successfully complete them!

which part of the two hour live feed on China Central TV Chinese, English and French channels plus frequent TV updates and special programs led you to this conclusion?

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Ugh!  :( Please don't use 'faked' and 'Moon' in the same postings!! As a 'Space Geek', I get tormented all the time by 'comedians' who prattle on about how I'm deluded to believe in all that  'Faked Moon Landing stuff'  ::)
I'm a "strong believer" in USA moon landing being true.
But I don't like the "mistery" around this mission, it really looks like they're attempting to keep it as secret as they can rather than advertising it all around the world!
Is there any information around about past FAILED Chinese missions? Or did all of them go fine? From first satellite to Moon landing, all went always fine? (Just asking, I don't know almost anything about past Chinese missions).
-- Jumpjack --

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
 They 'advertised it around the world' as best they could, by doing foreign-language coverage in their own media. You can't exactly blame them for apathetic coverage in your local area.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
They 'advertised it around the world' as best they could, by doing foreign-language coverage in their own media. You can't exactly blame them for apathetic coverage in your local area.

If the information existed on the Chinese side there would be translations, if needed. Orbital events hardly even need words though, numbers is enough.

This is the first "science" mission I've ever seen that has this much hidden information.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2013 09:14 am by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
Isn't this a bit oversized?!?

http://fjrb.fjsen.com/fjrb/html/2013-12/04/content_693650.htm?div=-1

And isn't this a bit... overpriced?!?  :)  (100$)
http://www.jieti.com/htm/221556.shtml
-- Jumpjack --

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
Lander is almost there, and yet it is not know how actually the rover deployment mechanism has been designed! "Rumors" talk about 2 different possibile designs existing, but none knows which one is actually used!
Probe is orbiting around the moon since two days with hi res cameras... and no images have been released yet?!?
It looks like... an ESA mission! >:-)
-- Jumpjack --

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
Look at how many models of chang'e3 are available!  :)
http://s.taobao.com/search?initiative_id=staobaoz_20131209&js=1&q=%E6%CF%B6%F0%C8%FD%BA%C5&stats_click=search_radio_all%3A1

But somew Chinese sites warn that someones can by "unauthorized". (?)
-- Jumpjack --

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561
Actually China is the best candidate for faking a moon landing, as in case of mission failure they will not like so much to admit the failure...  ;)
Uhhhh, what? It is impossible to fake Moon mission by anyone, be it USA, China, Russia or Zimbabwe. Stop this nonsense.

But somew Chinese sites warn that someones can by "unauthorized". (?)
Eh, it is just Chinese using copyright laws when it suits them.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212

How d'you think they funded Chang'E? :P Profit margins from all them Chinese goods...
(The second statement's actually true lol)

I wonder if twenty years would suffice, before the markets notice a scale down in "Made in China" labels, replaced by labels saying

"Made.. ON THE MOON" :D

Offline heinkel174

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 135

The model in the second link is terrible. Color is also terrible.

I dont want it even been given for free. Other online retailers offer hugely better models for both lander and rover.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

Interesting detail in these models
« Last Edit: 12/09/2013 11:37 am by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
Other online retailers offer hugely better models for both lander and rover.
Link?
A cheap plastic or even paper-to-be-built model would be interesting to me.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2013 12:21 pm by jumpjack »
-- Jumpjack --

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
I think this is the reason for which they do not advertise so much their missions until they successfully complete them!

which part of the two hour live feed on China Central TV Chinese, English and French channels plus frequent TV updates and special programs led you to this conclusion?

Yes. The Chinese have been very open about this mission. I think that the CCTV coverage was equal to if not better than most western TV coverage of space science mission launches (networks like Fox, MSNBC and CNN no longer cover space missions at all, and at most will devote ten minutes to covering a launch, as long as there is no Kardashian news). You can scroll back in this thread and see all the screencaps of the launch coverage. It included correspondents at mission control, the launch site, interviews with domestic and foreign space experts, and segments about the spacecraft and interviews with some of its builders.

They were somewhat secret about the launch date, but I think that it more of a cultural issue, not a government secrecy thing. The Chinese seem to not like to announce launch dates until shortly before launch. I imagine that they have to pass some milestone, like a flight readiness review. Until then, the date is provisional. Once they have confirmed the date for themselves, then they announce it.

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
Maybe magic and superstition are much more the cause of  keeping launch dates and design details secret rather than government policy, in a country like China! :-/
-- Jumpjack --

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
Anybody able to "put" Chang'e3 inside this image?

-- Jumpjack --

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
Thanks for the link to all the rover and lander models. Does anybody see any realistic versions? The Chinese seem to be really fond of the gold-plated models. I don't know why. Maybe they think it's artistic? I'd rather have an accurate version with correct color and details.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
Is there a shop in Beijing where you can buy these models from (And space envelopes?)

I'm going  Beijing soon

A-P

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
http://thespacereview.com/article/2418/1

It’s not bragging if you do it
by Dwayne Day
Monday, December 9, 2013

Later this week, if all goes according to plan, China will land a robotic spacecraft and rover on the Moon, something that nobody has done in nearly four decades. If the Chinese do what they did for the launch, they will broadcast much of the event live on television and over the Internet. Last week’s launch coverage on government-controlled English language CCTV was remarkable for its openness. Indeed, the coverage was indistinguishable from Western news coverage of a major space event. There was no propagandizing or nationalistic chest-thumping, just a straightforward reporting with lots of information about the mission and what was happening. The event, and its coverage, highlighted the fact that China has an attractive, technically sophisticated scientific space program that could serve international relations purposes. It was a demonstration of what American political scientist Joseph Nye has referred to as “soft power,” the ability to compel or attract nations to do what you want. China’s space program gives them this ability to attract partners. The problem is that some of China’s other activities undercut their attractiveness as a potential partner.

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
Is there a shop in Beijing where you can buy these models from (And space envelopes?)

I'm going  Beijing soon

A-P
Try asking here:
http://bbs.9ifly.cn/thread-11199-1-1.html
-- Jumpjack --

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
This link was in the thread: http://news.cntv.cn/2013/12/09/VIDE1386560881527612.shtml
A new animation about the Chang'e landing sequence starts at 3:26
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography