Author Topic: Blue Moon Lunar Lander  (Read 320409 times)

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1099
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: Blue Moon Lunar Lander
« Reply #860 on: 02/28/2024 09:02 pm »
A comparison of the the Lockheed Martin video screencap with the Aviation Week & Space Technology cover view from nearly the opposite angle:

Top image has an interesting porch design I think...

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7159
  • Likes Given: 3070
« Last Edit: 03/04/2024 03:38 am by yg1968 »

« Reply #862 on: 03/04/2024 02:11 am »
https://x.com/60Minutes/status/1764453960016867487

Stated in the full video, Blue expects the first cargo version of the lander to go to the moon in 12-16 months.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2024 02:12 am by spacenuance »

Offline AlexP

• Liked: 204
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #863 on: 03/04/2024 10:49 am »
What is the odds that BO will try a lunar landing with their own starter lander in 25?

I realize that BO has a lot of kuipner launches ahead of them, but I would think they could squeeze in some 'experimental operations' once NG is gaining cadence.

Would make a better use of a launch than just throwing up a mass simulator... although I would guess the Kupiner satellites are cheap enough they could be a reasonable substitute.
I guess this wasn't so outlandish an idea after all  ;)

Online whitelancer64

« Reply #864 on: 03/04/2024 03:24 pm »
What is the odds that BO will try a lunar landing with their own starter lander in 25?

I realize that BO has a lot of kuipner launches ahead of them, but I would think they could squeeze in some 'experimental operations' once NG is gaining cadence.

Would make a better use of a launch than just throwing up a mass simulator... although I would guess the Kupiner satellites are cheap enough they could be a reasonable substitute.

March-July 2025 is very aggressive scheduling. Good luck to Blue Origin.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3154
  • Likes Given: 3916
« Reply #865 on: 03/04/2024 03:42 pm »

Attempting an automated landing to prove out technology and hardware is pretty reasonable.

If they can recover New Glenn and reuse it quickly (and faster than many of us expect) then why not lob your own vehicle to the moon?

I think NG reuse will take awhile though.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5 (Welp a little early on IFT-4, but still have a shot at 5)

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4450
  • Likes Given: 1849
« Reply #866 on: 03/04/2024 04:10 pm »

Attempting an automated landing to prove out technology and hardware is pretty reasonable.

If they can recover New Glenn and reuse it quickly (and faster than many of us expect) then why not lob your own vehicle to the moon?

I think NG reuse will take awhile though.
A load of Kuipers would probably be cheaper, so even if the mission fails, the cost is lower. If the mission succeeds, its a win for Kuiper, and Kuiper really needs every launch it can get. Kuipers have better be inexpensive, since they need so many of them. Kuiper also needs to design build, and test its NG dispenser anyway. Cost share: BO would offer to fly the mission for free but with no guarantee of success.

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 299
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #867 on: 03/19/2024 05:11 pm »

March-July 2025 is very aggressive scheduling. Good luck to Blue Origin.
It's been their target for a while now (they were talking about landings in '25 for Mk1 in the award press conference, and even before then I think), and they have agreements for thermal vacuum testing and stuff with NASA this fall, I think? So it seems like it's stayed pretty much on schedule for about two or three years now.

Offline JIS

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #868 on: 04/12/2024 07:43 am »
Blue Moon lander doesn't need refueling. Just a single launch of New Glen. Blue Moon is subscale version of HLS, in development for very long time. So I would say it is very doable for Blue Origin to land on the Moon in 2025. 
It is in fact easier mission than SpaceX full scale unmanned HLS trial, which will need refueling to get to the Moon. It is also planned for 2025, so we have a Moon race going on. In my opinion it can go either way at the moment.
'Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill' - Old Greek experience

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7380
  • Likes Given: 3771
« Reply #869 on: 04/14/2024 07:07 pm »
It is also planned for 2025, so we have a Moon race going on.

Why does everybody seem to want a race? It is SO counter productive. To hell with a race. Slow and methodical is the way to go. Fewer mistakes caused by schedule pressure. The moon race was already decided in 1969. It's over. Done. Move on.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

« Reply #870 on: 04/14/2024 07:18 pm »
It is also planned for 2025, so we have a Moon race going on.

Why does everybody seem to want a race? It is SO counter productive. To hell with a race. Slow and methodical is the way to go. Fewer mistakes caused by schedule pressure. The moon race was already decided in 1969. It's over. Done. Move on.

I seriously doubt a race would stop Blue from being slow and methodical.
Wait, ∆V? This site will accept the ∆ symbol? How many times have I written out the word "delta" for no reason?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14144
  • Likes Given: 1397
« Reply #871 on: 04/14/2024 11:47 pm »
Blue Moon lander doesn't need refueling. Just a single launch of New Glen. Blue Moon is subscale version of HLS, in development for very long time. So I would say it is very doable for Blue Origin to land on the Moon in 2025. 
It is in fact easier mission than SpaceX full scale unmanned HLS trial, which will need refueling to get to the Moon. It is also planned for 2025, so we have a Moon race going on. In my opinion it can go either way at the moment.
It's also not a race for the precise reason you mentioned - the scope of the two programs is so different.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9596
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #872 on: 04/15/2024 11:23 am »
Blue Moon lander doesn't need refueling. Just a single launch of New Glen. Blue Moon is subscale version of HLS, in development for very long time.
I don't think Blue Moon can be any more described as a "subscale version of HLS" than New Shepard can be described as a subscale version of New Glenn. There is more difference than commonality in CONOPS, vehicle design, propulsion elements, etc.

Online Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 1380
  • Likes Given: 449
« Reply #873 on: 04/24/2024 03:50 am »
https://twitter.com/NASA_Marshall/status/1782831806535873004
🌕@NASAhas contracted SpaceX and Blue Origin to provide landing systems to take astronauts to the Moon’s surface. The agency has also asked the two companies to develop cargo versions of their landers to be in use NET the #Artemis VII mission.

MORE 👇 https://go.nasa.gov/49SaAzU

Offline JSz

• Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #874 on: 05/03/2024 08:55 pm »
Blue Moon lander doesn't need refueling. Just a single launch of New Glen.

I am surprised by this information! I was convinced that the Blue Moon needed: (1) refuelling at LEO, (2) the help of the Cislunar Transporter tug to get near the Moon (Gateway station). This is how it is described in NASA's "Human Landing System" presentation from last year: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20230010065 (slide 12).

Could it be that something has changed since last year?

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #875 on: 05/03/2024 09:40 pm »
Blue Moon lander doesn't need refueling. Just a single launch of New Glen.

I am surprised by this information! I was convinced that the Blue Moon needed: (1) refuelling at LEO, (2) the help of the Cislunar Transporter tug to get near the Moon (Gateway station). This is how it is described in NASA's "Human Landing System" presentation from last year: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20230010065 (slide 12).

Could it be that something has changed since last year?

Blue Moon mk1, not the HLS version. It's the small cargo version.
I tried it at home

Offline JSz

« Reply #876 on: 05/03/2024 10:03 pm »
If this phrase referred to the Mk1 version, then of course it is OK.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82617
  • Likes Given: 37180
« Reply #877 on: 05/08/2024 05:19 pm »
https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1788254387934052763

More and more hardware is arriving – paving our way to the Moon. Our gaseous hydrogen/oxygen reaction control system thrusters have completed acceptance testing ahead of installation on MK1, our first lunar lander. Our RCS thrusters enable different thrust levels for precision attitude control and are an important step toward humanity’s sustained presence on the Moon. These will help us land anywhere on the Moon’s surface, and best of all, they use propellants that can be manufactured from resources on the lunar surface!

Online harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 2757
  • Likes Given: 1867
« Reply #878 on: 05/09/2024 11:19 pm »
Recent documents note that Blue is currently building a Lunar Assembly Facility (what was previously known as the Composite Assembly Facility.

Source: Space Florida (Page 7: https://www.spaceflorida.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Investment-Committee-Meeting-Agenda-04-16-2024-and-meeting-materials.pdf)

Offline JSz

« Reply #879 on: 05/10/2024 10:03 am »
Does this mean that Blue Origin is hoping for a contract to build more of its landers? As far as I know, there is only one for A-V in the NASA-approved plans so far, apart from MK1 and Mk2?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography