Author Topic: Forum Bug Reports  (Read 67039 times)

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
Re: Forum Bug Reports
« Reply #80 on: 07/22/2021 02:08 am »
This is about the front page stories rather than the forum:  when I print hardcopies of a story it's started cutting off the right hand edge of the text, as illustrated below. The amount of text lost seems to vary.
This seems to have started (or perhaps just gotten worse) in the past week.
« Last Edit: 07/22/2021 02:09 am by jcm »
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
    • JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Software Library
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #81 on: 07/27/2021 06:57 pm »
Seems like it's OK, at this moment. It appears to be sporadic. Will post specifics i it happens again.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #82 on: 07/27/2021 08:14 pm »
This is about the front page stories rather than the forum:  when I print hardcopies of a story it's started cutting off the right hand edge of the text, as illustrated below. The amount of text lost seems to vary.

Its the same for me printing from Firefox when using the "scale to fit" option.  A temporary workaround is to select 90% scaling (from the "print preview" page in Firefox) - this avoids clipping the RHS of the text.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5137
  • Likes Given: 5539
« Reply #83 on: 07/27/2021 10:40 pm »

Its the same for me printing from Firefox when using the "scale to fit" option.  A temporary workaround is to select 90% scaling (from the "print preview" page in Firefox) - this avoids clipping the RHS of the text.
This is a bug introduced in Firefox 90.0, supposedly fixed in 90.0.2 released this past Thursday.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/90.0.2/releasenotes/

I'm still on Firefox 89.0.2 so I haven't experienced it, though I've downloaded 90.0.2 and plan to install it tomorrow morning.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #84 on: 07/27/2021 10:47 pm »

This is a bug introduced in Firefox 90.0, supposedly fixed in 90.0.2 released this past Thursday.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/90.0.2/releasenotes/

I'm still on Firefox 89.0.2 so I haven't experienced it, though I've downloaded 90.0.2 and plan to install it tomorrow morning.

Actually this particular bug appears in Firefox 52.9.0 for me (yes, I know!)

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
    • JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Software Library
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #85 on: 08/23/2021 03:50 am »
Trying to access nasaspaceflight.com through a VPN fails. I get an error, with a message saying access is blocked.
Please provide any browser error codes (i.e. Error 404), system/browser details and VPN service provider info if you would like fourm help.

Lists of system/browser HTTP error codes:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

Happened again today. Got this error (got a screen grab of the error but can't find a way to post that.):

---
Error 1005 Ray Id: 6825db528eea74ab * 2021-08-21 18:17:10 UTC
Access Denied
What Happened?
The owner of this website (www.nasaspaceflight.com) has banned the autonomous system number (ASN) your IP address is in (14618) from accessing this website.
---

If I turn off my VPN, I can access the site again, and then after I turn back on the VPN, I seem to have no troubles at all. It seems to happen only when I have had the web site up for some time (days) and then try and access it with the VPN on. Again, turning off and back on the VPN seems to resolve it.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #86 on: 08/23/2021 04:43 am »
Trying to access nasaspaceflight.com through a VPN fails. I get an error, with a message saying access is blocked.
Please provide any browser error codes (i.e. Error 404), system/browser details and VPN service provider info if you would like fourm help.

Lists of system/browser HTTP error codes:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

Happened again today. Got this error (got a screen grab of the error but can't find a way to post that.):

---
Error 1005 Ray Id: 6825db528eea74ab * 2021-08-21 18:17:10 UTC
Access Denied
What Happened?
The owner of this website (www.nasaspaceflight.com) has banned the autonomous system number (ASN) your IP address is in (14618) from accessing this website.
---

If I turn off my VPN, I can access the site again, and then after I turn back on the VPN, I seem to have no troubles at all. It seems to happen only when I have had the web site up for some time (days) and then try and access it with the VPN on. Again, turning off and back on the VPN seems to resolve it.

I get that sometimes. The error messages I get states Cloudflare has blocked the ASN your IP address was using. NSF's host must be using Cloudflare for security.

Edit: I recreated the error and attached it.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2021 04:50 am by RonM »

Online ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
« Reply #87 on: 08/25/2021 10:37 pm »
This is not really a bug per say, but I noticed a hard margin set for the left forum pane that shows the user posting's info.  For FutureSpaceTourist's sake....can we either make it more auto scaling or at least a little bigger?  I noticed more and more longer names getting chopped like this and was just curious if it is easily fixable or not.

Unless you like being FutureSpaceTouri    ;D

EDIT:  It just occurred to me.  Is there a max character length for a username?  If so, set the margin to a width that and this never happens.
« Last Edit: 08/25/2021 10:44 pm by ulm_atms »

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2180
« Reply #88 on: 08/26/2021 01:38 am »
EDIT:  It just occurred to me.  Is there a max character length for a username?  If so, set the margin to a width that and this never happens.

Set by the admins, but I think the default is a 20 character limit. (Two more than FutureSpaceTourist.) However, that doesn't necessarily solve the issue, because (I believe) column sizes aren't set by character width, but pixel width, and the font is proportional, so 20 characters of capital 'W', 'G', etc is wildly different from 20 lower-case 'i's or 'l's. Setting it for the worst case means a lot of wasted space to cater for that rare event.

Not sure if FutureSpaceTourist himself can insert a zero-width space in his name between the 'e' and 'T' to allow more intelligent line-breaking, assuming phpBB even does that kind of line-breaking.

WGSHWGSHWGSHWGSHWGSH
FutureSpaceTourist
illillillillillillil

(The first one is actually a swearword in Welsh, the HW is pronounced like 'i-oo'. The last is a battlecry in traditional Sicilian. True story.)
« Last Edit: 08/26/2021 01:49 am by Paul451 »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #89 on: 11/07/2021 06:52 pm »
I'm getting a bunch of rayid's

One of many:

Error 504
Ray ID: 6aa911cbcdcf66e9 •
2021-11-07 19:46:45 UTC
Gateway time-out

Offline gemmy0I

• Liked: 595
  • Likes Given: 1958
« Reply #90 on: 06/21/2022 03:02 am »
Have email notifications of new posts in subscribed threads been bottled up lately for other users, or is it just me?

I noticed an outage last night between roughly 4:00-6:00 UTC (2022-06-20) based on the timing of the last notification I received before the outage and the first after.

From what I can tell, the missed notifications were not re-sent; I had to catch up on the threads I missed by going to the "Notifications" page in my account settings and reading the threads with "New" labels on them to clear them so future notifications could be sent (as I have notifications set to "instantly, but only for the first unread reply").

After about 6:00 UTC, notifications started coming through immediately again for me, which continued through this morning. However, they stopped again sometime after 13:40 UTC (2022-06-20) and haven't resumed since, despite (per my Notifications page) many new posts having been made since then to threads I'm subscribed to.

I noticed the outage last night mainly because of the odd coincidence that I just happened to be migrating to a new personal email address and attempted to change my account's associated address (from Gmail to a personal domain) during that time. :) Since my verification code wasn't coming through, I was locked out of my forum account until the jam cleared at ~6:00 UTC (since evidently the forum software doesn't know how to keep the old address active pending the new one's verification...which is kind of a weird loophole that could lead to problems if someone mistyped an address, but I digress). During that time, I confirmed that the problem was not on my end (which I was initially afraid of since it's a personal domain address); I was able to send test messages to myself from other email providers (e.g. Gmail) and they were received instantly with no problems. Only NSF forum messages were bottled up. Additionally, I confirmed that some forum notifications had been missed during the first ~hour of the outage that should have been sent to my old Gmail before I requested the address change. So it doesn't appear to be connected at all to my own address change - although I figured I should mention it for full disclosure in case I'm wrong.

After ~6:00 UTC, my delayed NSF verification code emails came through (both of them, since I'd hit the "send new code" button at first to see if that would help), about a minute apart. The headers showed that they had evidently gotten stuck at NSF's third-party bulk mail provider (I'm guessing?), "Mailgun", having been generated by the forum at 5:05 UTC and received immediately at Mailgun's SMTP relay server, but then not handed off to my domain's receiving MX until 6:08 UTC, after which the message was promptly sent through the rest of the receiving chain and delivered to my inbox.

Hope this helps! Let me know if it would be helpful to provide any more information (e.g., headers from the verification emails that got delayed last night).

Update (just when I was about to post this): It looks like things maybe just came un-stuck, but maybe aren't perfectly working again yet. About half an hour ago (02:32 UTC) I finally got a new notification email from the NSF forum, for a new post that had just been made at that time; the headers show that the email was delivered without delay (within seconds). As in the past, I'm guessing that notifications that were generated during the outage were lost and won't be retried.

Edit: Looks like it's blocked up again shortly after posting the above. :( Only that one notification email at 2:32 UTC got through.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2022 04:57 am by gemmy0I »

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
« Reply #91 on: 06/21/2022 11:36 am »
I haven't noticed any missing NSF emails of late.

I had problems a couple of weeks ago, but there were emails missing from other senders also, not just NSF, so I assume it was a problem with my email provider.  I also am using a personal domain, but it's running on the Gmail infrastructure.

Offline Keldor

• Colorado
  • Liked: 896
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #92 on: 07/11/2022 05:25 pm »
I get a "The message body is empty" error when trying to post a message with a somewhat deep nested quote.  Trimming the quote resolved the issue and allowed me to post, but...

1. The error message was incorrect.
2. Would it be possible for the software to automatically trim nested quotes?  It's really quite painful to do this by hand using a touchscreen...

Offline kcrick

• Connecticut
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 2630
« Reply #93 on: 07/12/2022 04:21 pm »
This is about the main page, not the forum section.
I use Microsoft Edge on my personal laptop and about 2 months ago, the Tweets by NSF section under Starbase Live on the right side on the main page no longer shows. I can see it on my cell phone but not on my laptop.

I've gone into Settings on my browser to change some settings to make it display again, but no joy.
Just wondering if anybody else has encountered this and the resolution to it.

It's not a big deal, just an inconvenience.
Kevin

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
« Reply #94 on: 07/12/2022 04:49 pm »
I use Microsoft Edge on my personal laptop and about 2 months ago, the Tweets by NSF section under Starbase Live on the right side on the main page no longer shows. I can see it on my cell phone but not on my laptop.

I've gone into Settings on my browser to change some settings to make it display again, but no joy.

Do embedded tweets still show in the forums?

I use Firefox, not Edge, but to get embedded tweets to show both on the main pages and in the forums I have to create exceptions in Enhanced Tracking Protection for:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com

Offline kcrick

• Connecticut
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 2630
« Reply #95 on: 07/12/2022 04:59 pm »

I use Firefox, not Edge, but to get embedded tweets to show both on the main pages and in the forums I have to create exceptions in Enhanced Tracking Protection for:

Yes, embedded tweets still show up in the forum threads. I haven't had any issues with those, just the main page that started a month or two ago. I did make some changes in Tracking Protection, but it had no effect.
So, I should put the above 2 urls in Enhanced Tracking Protection or something similar in Edge?

Edit: Ok, I added the 2 urls to the Exception list under Tracking. I cleared my cache, closed Edge, and re-opened Edge. Unfortunately, the Tweets by NSF section still doesn't show up.

« Last Edit: 07/12/2022 05:27 pm by kcrick »
Kevin

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
« Reply #96 on: 07/12/2022 09:43 pm »

Yes, embedded tweets still show up in the forum threads. I haven't had any issues with those, just the main page that started a month or two ago. I did make some changes in Tracking Protection, but it had no effect.
So, I should put the above 2 urls in Enhanced Tracking Protection or something similar in Edge?

Edit: Ok, I added the 2 urls to the Exception list under Tracking. I cleared my cache, closed Edge, and re-opened Edge. Unfortunately, the Tweets by NSF section still doesn't show up.

I don't have any further suggestions.  For me, the FF Enhanced Tracking Protection exceptions enabled tweets in "Tweets by NASASpaceflight" and tweets embedded in articles and forum posts.

Maybe someone more familiar with Edge can come up with something.

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1840
  • Likes Given: 1299
« Reply #97 on: 08/17/2022 06:16 am »
The mobile view of NSF forum (which is default on mobile phones, or enabled by the "Mobile" link at the page bottom) is no longer compatible with Chrome's dark mode. At least on Android phones. Text is very fat and hard to read, see screenshot, which is really hard to read when viewed in dark mode.

To enable Chrome dark mode

- set chrome://flags/#darken-websites-checkbox-in-themes-setting to Enabled
- restart Chrome
- open the settings and choose "Design"
- select "Dark" and check "darken websites"
« Last Edit: 08/17/2022 06:19 am by PM3 »
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 867
  • Likes Given: 1727
« Reply #98 on: 11/14/2022 03:53 pm »
Someone posted a way to search this forum using Google. If they could post that search parameter here, that would solve your search needs. Such a search parameter could be uses or adapted to other search engines.

Paste this into the Google search box:

[put your search terms here] site:forum.nasaspaceflight.com

Note, this will only work for the public threads, L2 stuff is not accessible by Google.

And the Google equivalent query to search in the title only should be

site:forum.nasaspaceflight.com intitle:"Forum Bug Reports"

See also https://churchofgoogle.org/search-tips.html
Just a friendly reminder that the "search tab" on the forum is behaving strange for the last few years. Here a screenshot of an example via NSF (left) which came up empty three times in row before a good result, versus a search engine (right).  Would be great if it was fixed.

Online Mark K

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #99 on: 01/30/2023 12:15 am »
I have been trying Dark mode and it works but has a couple of issues for me.
1. Quoted text is black/dark  which is unreadable to me on the darker background. I have to highlight it to read it.
2. Not specifically dark mode but the text is smaller in the quote and that makes it even harder to read. I can't find any text size adjusters in settings so I have to use Firefox's and that screws up the boxes in the forums at the sizes I use.

Just a couple of inputs. My eyes thanks you for the dark mode.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography