Author Topic: Forum Theme Evolution. NET Sept. 27, 2019  (Read 80419 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Forum Theme Evolution. NET Sept. 27, 2019
« Reply #200 on: 10/13/2019 06:08 pm »
Yep. Revise sorts it out, but it's obviously something noted. So, it's noted for Mark :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 872
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #201 on: 10/13/2019 09:06 pm »
I just noticed that the “new topic” option does not appear anywhere on my NSF pages. Also not seeing a way to send a PM to anyone. What should I do?

Using Safari browser on iMac.

If the screen width is below a certain point the user links disappear, but if you tap the users name you get to a page with a PM link, (so two taps instead of one, hopefully not to bad).

Edit: note to mods: considering that the content is loaded anyway, just hidden, it can be made into a flyout instead of a page load to make it much quicker.
IMHO, the automatic reformatting is a mistake...

99.99% of the time I want the content, so on a small screen I want to give the content more space at the expense of something I might want 0.01% of the time (and is now just one click away).

Edit: if you want the desktop layout on mobile, check if your browser has a 'desktop site' option, on my device (android/chrome) this gives you likely what you want.
« Last Edit: 10/13/2019 09:45 pm by mn »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8784
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #202 on: 10/14/2019 06:20 am »
Yep. Revise sorts it out, but it's obviously something noted. So, it's noted for Mark :)

Chris,  I was having that search issue weeks before the change.  So I don't think it's the site change.  Yes, the revise makes it work.  May be a timing issue with the results screen and the return from the DB query completing.
« Last Edit: 10/14/2019 06:21 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #203 on: 10/14/2019 11:30 am »

Chris,  I was having that search issue weeks before the change.  So I don't think it's the site change.  Yes, the revise makes it work.  May be a timing issue with the results screen and the return from the DB query completing.

I agree - search problem existed before the forum refresh.  I've been using the "revise" button click as a workaround for several months now.

The search function on the forum is a poor excuse of a thing - any possibility that something could be done to replace it.? And before someone suggests Google (which I frequently use) that won't work in L2!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #204 on: 10/15/2019 03:05 am »
I just noticed that the “new topic” option does not appear anywhere on my NSF pages. Also not seeing a way to send a PM to anyone. What should I do?

If the screen width is below a certain point the user links disappear, but if you tap the users name you get to a page with a PM link, (so two taps instead of one, hopefully not to bad).

Edit: note to mods: considering that the content is loaded anyway, just hidden, it can be made into a flyout instead of a page load to make it much quicker.

99.99% of the time I want the content, so on a small screen I want to give the content more space at the expense of something I might want 0.01% of the time (and is now just one click away).

Edit: if you want the desktop layout on mobile, check if your browser has a 'desktop site' option, on my device (android/chrome) this gives you likely what you want.
It is the same result on desktop if you resize the window to near mobile size. So it does not respect "request desktop site" as it should; it merely automatically resizes everything for you, if you like it or not.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline mn

• United States
« Reply #205 on: 10/16/2019 12:07 am »

It is the same result on desktop if you resize the window to near mobile size. So it does not respect "request desktop site" as it should; it merely automatically resizes everything for you, if you like it or not.

It works as expected on my mobile device (chrome/android). Did you try it?

What happens on desktop when you make the window smaller is actually also expected when designing a responsive website, and it is not a contradiction to what happens when you request desktop site on a mobile device.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #206 on: 10/16/2019 03:47 am »

What happens on desktop when you make the window smaller is actually also expected when designing a responsive website, and it is not a contradiction to what happens when you request desktop site on a mobile device.
It actually is. When I request desktop on my mobile device, it should give me the same view as desktop (with the ability to zoom out), just like the old version of the website does. The new version does not respect that request as it automatically sizes it for you. It's a user-hostile method of designing for mobile, IMHO...

For folks who used the mobile site anyway before (or have a large screen), doubtless they don't care.
« Last Edit: 10/16/2019 03:47 am by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #207 on: 10/16/2019 04:44 pm »

It actually is. When I request desktop on my mobile device, it should give me the same view as desktop (with the ability to zoom out), just like the old version of the website does. The new version does not respect that request as it automatically sizes it for you. It's a user-hostile method of designing for mobile, IMHO...

For folks who used the mobile site anyway before (or have a large screen), doubtless they don't care.

I agree with Robotbeat's assessment that this is a problem.

I prefer to use the "desktop" mode on smartphone and tablet browsers.
Restricting zoom makes it impossible to do simple things like selecting a page or topic.
Perhaps with a stylus it might be possible, but I generally don't have one handy.

This was not an issue before the recent "theme evolution".
As this capability was essential to my usage - I have found a way around this by changing Accessibility options on both Android/Chrome and Android/Firefox.
e.g. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-force-zoom-in-android/

That said, we should not have to go through the effort of finding and changing browser settings on mobile devices.

(edit: spelling)
« Last Edit: 10/16/2019 04:45 pm by ehb »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #208 on: 10/16/2019 04:52 pm »
It should allow zooming in now without changing your browser settings.

Offline mn

• United States
« Reply #209 on: 10/16/2019 11:12 pm »

I agree with Robotbeat's assessment that this is a problem.

I prefer to use the "desktop" mode on smartphone and tablet browsers.
Restricting zoom makes it impossible to do simple things like selecting a page or topic.
Perhaps with a stylus it might be possible, but I generally don't have one handy.

This was not an issue before the recent "theme evolution".
As this capability was essential to my usage - I have found a way around this by changing Accessibility options on both Android/Chrome and Android/Firefox.
e.g. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-force-zoom-in-android/

That said, we should not have to go through the effort of finding and changing browser settings on mobile devices.

(edit: spelling)

Zooming works just fine on my device, both in mobile mode and 'desktop' mode.

Edit: I tested Firefox on my device just out of curiosity and I found that request desktop also works (looks like they use a slightly wider viewport, might be you will like it better than chrome), and zoom also works just fine.
« Last Edit: 10/16/2019 11:52 pm by mn »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #210 on: 10/17/2019 02:39 am »
Thanks! Half-done.

Still can't zoom out, though. :(

It maybe should be a forum setting, since some people might prefer it one way or the other.
« Last Edit: 10/17/2019 02:39 am by Robotbeat »

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #211 on: 10/17/2019 08:47 am »
Thanks! Half-done.

It maybe should be a forum setting, since some people might prefer it one way or the other.

Zooming seemed to work for me on Android/Firefox without the browser Settings Accessibility Zoom override.
Not sure what is Half-done for Robotbeat, as I can zoom in and out.

« Last Edit: 10/17/2019 08:48 am by ehb »

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5136
  • Likes Given: 5539
« Reply #212 on: 10/17/2019 02:47 pm »
Is it possible to block someone here? I don't see an option for it in the profile section.

I haven't used it, but Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List might do what you want.

Offline ThePonjaX

• BsAs. - Argentina
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 982
« Reply #213 on: 10/18/2019 03:11 am »
First the good news: I used the option to force the Zoom on Chrome on my Android phone ( Yes, phone, call smart them is a bad use of word smart) and it works great.

Now the question: When is going to be available the "night" or "dark" theme?  The site is "too" white for me.
I work in IT, and I have every tool on dark/knight themes because my eyes. I'd like to have the possibility with the forum.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5136
  • Likes Given: 5539
« Reply #214 on: 10/18/2019 05:00 am »
Now the question: When is going to be available the "night" or "dark" theme?  The site is "too" white for me.
I work in IT, and I have every tool on dark/knight themes because my eyes. I'd like to have the possibility with the forum.

It's already available.  I turned it on several days ago.  There are some quirks though.  It's not meant for GA yet.

Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout > Dark forum theme.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #215 on: 10/18/2019 05:14 am »

It's already available.  I turned it on several days ago.  There are some quirks though.  It's not meant for GA yet.

Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout > Dark forum theme.

An early version is available for L2 members to try.
« Last Edit: 10/18/2019 05:15 am by gongora »

Offline Mandella

• Liked: 799
  • Likes Given: 2592
« Reply #216 on: 10/19/2019 04:49 pm »
Dark theme's blue (used for sticky threads) seems a bit garish and eye hurting as viewed on Windows desktop.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #217 on: 10/23/2019 01:01 pm »
Thanks! Half-done.

Zooming seemed to work for me on Android/Firefox without the browser Settings Accessibility Zoom override.
Not sure what is Half-done for Robotbeat, as I can zoom in and out.
So it's not reflowing the content to fit your screen? I highly doubt that. Screenshot, please.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #218 on: 10/23/2019 03:55 pm »
The old desktop mode with a large minimum width is gone, and not likely to return.

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 390
« Reply #219 on: 10/23/2019 08:37 pm »
Don't know if this has been reported, as I've only been on NSF sporadically the past two months

Whatever font is in the "Mark all messages read" isn't rendering too well.

This is under W10, Chrome, 1920x1080.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography