Author Topic: L2 Intro Page - September 2016 onwards  (Read 107042 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

L2 Intro Page - September 2016 onwards
« on: 09/17/2016 11:30 pm »
Updated L2 Overview, Q&A and Reviews Section

What is L2?

L2 is a huge depository of content acquired and created via source contribution. It is continually - and organically - growing by the day. It opened in 2006 out of an idea of supporting the site via donations when NSF accelerated from a niche site to a heavily used website resulting in a large increase in the cost of hosting. Rather than just crowdsourcing donations and tips, L2 access is the "thank you" for member contributions. We then evolved it into a structured subscription area.

L2 consists of a database of over 7,000 gigabytes of presentations, videos, photos, images/renders, notes and high level discussion (and more) - using user friendly (via familiarity) format used on the rest of the forum. It also drives the entire site's content, with our large amount of unique news articles built from L2 acquired content.

However, rather than me telling you how good it is, let's use this thread for testimonials from L2 members to allow them to tell you what they think of it. Also, there's the previous - old (2010 onwards) - L2 overview thread with reviews and details to help while this new thread grows.

What does L2 pay for?

L2 revenue pays for the site's hosting costs - which are considerable given we're a site that includes a bandwidth-heavy forum and we're a very busy site. The same paypal business account for L2 payments is directly used pay our hosting company (IBM Softlayer in Texas). We also use L2 revenue for helping reporters travel expenses when out on assignment and also for site improvements (more cowbell).

Your contribution to the site via your L2 membership directly pays for this entire site. We would not have a site without our L2 support over the years. So if you enjoy NSF and can afford it, this is how you can directly help the site.

How to Join L2

Click here for a payment process overview

Resubbing to L2

If a current member, click here for details. If you're a former L2 member looking to resub, please click here to send me a resub option request via PM

Aerospace related Student Discount

We believe it is very important to provide assistance to the aerospace student community, to which end we have scholarship rounds (hugely successful the first time we did this) and we'll forever have a discounted option.
Click here for details

Space Industry Members

Click here for more on that:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44692.0
« Last Edit: 01/15/2018 06:51 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: L2 Intro Page - September 2016 onwards
« Reply #1 on: 09/21/2016 03:45 am »
I'll go first! Love NSF, love L2. Been a L2 member for years now and while I'd support this site regardless because I'd be lost without it, L2 is going to surprise new people who may join out of curiosity. It's huge, but also really interactive and there's some really cool space people in there who help explain things like ConOps or McGregor photos. And because it's a much smaller audience compared to the massive open site audience, it's a lot more condensed and clean to read. I can't praise it enough.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #2 on: 09/21/2016 09:18 am »
Shortly after joining this site I joined L2 as well. Best thing I ever did! You will not find a greater treasure chest of "everything space" anywhere else on the internet.

Offline BrianNH

• Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 653
« Reply #3 on: 09/21/2016 11:57 am »
I agree that I would be supporting this site regardless because I spend too much of my time here.   L2 is great in part because we get some some great insights from insiders like SpaceX_MS and in part because the quality of each post is kept to a high standard which means there are few posts to look through for updates.  There are also some great, detailed historic documents and photos constantly being added which give new insights into older programs and the problems that have be overcome to make all of this work.

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 8747
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #4 on: 09/21/2016 02:33 pm »
Best thing about L2, apart from it being a wonderful resource, a way of supporting this wonderful site and how it's one of the last sensible and informative places on the internet for space flight? Jim is actually polite to people in there. Seeing that has to a catalyst for some people to take the plunge! ;)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #5 on: 09/21/2016 05:19 pm »
Best thing about L2, apart from it being a wonderful resource, a way of supporting this wonderful site and how it's one of the last sensible and informative places on the internet for space flight? Jim is actually polite to people in there. Seeing that has to a catalyst for some people to take the plunge! ;)

Jim is polite to people everywhere... If they've done their homework. The percentage of people who have is higher in L2 than it is in the rest of NSF (which in turn is higher than a lot of other places)

Also, thank you for choosing Softlayer by IBM for the NSF hosting provider. :)  (the preceding was not an official IBM statement since you'd have to be daft to think I was an official IBM spokesperson)

Lifetime member with no regrets, ever.
« Last Edit: 09/21/2016 05:21 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline RocketStudent

• Texas
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #6 on: 09/22/2016 01:16 am »
NSF was a massive help in my Aerospace Engineering studies. I was sponsored into L2 (thanks Martin!) and that gave me not just a tremendous resource, but also provided some networking with all the space industry in there. I've been accepted to work with Blue Origin early next year! :)

Thank you for this amazing site!

Offline SpaceX_MS

• Liked: 10292
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #7 on: 09/22/2016 05:26 pm »
I find L2 invaluable as a sounding point and from a high quality of content evaluation standpoint. This site a credit to how media should operate. It is unique in both its news site and community combination and finding the balance must be a challenge, but one ably achieved. I post this in thanks and support of this site and if you are able to support it, I would recommend you do so.

Offline Graham

• Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #8 on: 09/23/2016 03:22 pm »
I guess I'll take my turn now!

L2 is an invaluable resource to me as both an enthusiast and a student. It provides up to date info on just about all the goings on in the space world, as well as providing countless technical documents that I use in my studies. From the update threads to the discussion threads, they are all full of pages of factual information, and educated discussion between the most knowledgeable members of this site. I find the section to be particularly useful during failure investigations, as well as for info regarding flight scheduling far into the future.

Combined with the public forums, L2 provides a literal treasure trove of information. If you really enjoy the site, please join L2! Everything in that section is public side times 10! And you're supporting the site, paying for servers and site upgrades, which I think we can all agree is a worthy cause!
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Online AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 751
« Reply #9 on: 09/24/2016 05:27 pm »
I was on the site for a little over a year before making the jump to L2 at the student rate a year ago. It has been incredible and just resubbed for another year. L2 doesn't just provide incredible info but it really keeps the site running and Chris and the mods do a fantastic job.

Offline DannySpaceMan

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: 09/28/2016 03:25 pm »
My curiosity was peeked at joining L2 from the amazing news articles this site produces. I joined L2 to support the site's continued production of articles without mass advertising or news article subscriptions and thought anything cool in L2 would be a nice bonus. I've been in there a few days and not even scratched the surface. What an amazing amount of superb content! This is going to keep me occupied for a long long time!

Offline SteveSpace

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #11 on: 10/01/2016 03:28 pm »
L2 Rocks. That's all you need to know.

But seriously, I've been in there for a long time now and I doubt I'm more than 10 percent in from viewing the content.  8)

Offline AARON17

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #12 on: 10/02/2016 04:49 pm »
I'll add my review too, as I love this site and L2. As a student it's been such an amazing help to my education and I thank mheney as my initial sponsor and Chris for extending my membership. If I get a career in the industry I will have this site to thank.

Supporting this site is an obvious thing people should do, but L2 is more than a reward for being a supporter. Amazing and astonishing amount of content and its not some static collection it grows daily and becomes addictive!  8) Really would not know what I'd do without NSF.

Offline Daniel9

• New York
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: 12/08/2016 08:13 pm »
A question. Can I purchase a L2 subscription for my son?

I want it as a stocking filler for him on Christmas Day, so any way to purchase it now, and on Christmas Day for it to be activated and for me to provide him with login details so he has access?

Thanks,
Danny. Space fan and father to a potential Mars astronaut.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #14 on: 12/08/2016 08:25 pm »

I want it as a stocking filler for him on Christmas Day, so any way to purchase it now, and on Christmas Day for it to be activated and for me to provide him with login details so he has access?

Thanks,

Hey Danny -

Short answer is yes!

Long answer is while an automated subscription system is often used by sites, ours has a human touch (i.e. me) where L2 subscription notifications are received by me and I then upgrade the member into L2. It allows me to correctly allocate the subscription and also thank the person for supporting the site (opening the line of communication should any member have any questions).

We've worked gift subscriptions over the years and it's pretty easy.

1) Complete the L2 subscription process here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41197.0

2) Add your requirements in the PM (as shown on the above link), noting it's a gift, when it's going to be active from (in this case I'd activate it before Christmas, so he's ready to go on Christmas Day - the first day of the term). And if you want me to set up an account for him (or if you're going to do it, to which I'd only need the username for me to upgrade).

3) Your son's account will have the welcome and overview message PM ready for him to read from the moment he first logs in and that acts like the front day (welcome, rules and great first links to use, such as our L2 Hall Of Fame).

Hope that helps!
 Chris.
« Last Edit: 12/08/2016 08:25 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Daniel9

• New York
« Reply #15 on: 12/08/2016 08:36 pm »

Thanks,

Hey Danny -

Short answer is yes!

Long answer is while an automated subscription system is often used by sites, ours has a human touch (i.e. me) where L2 subscription notifications are received by me and I then upgrade the member into L2. It allows me to correctly allocate the subscription and also thank the person for supporting the site (opening the line of communication should any member have any questions).

We've worked gift subscriptions over the years and it's pretty easy.

1) Complete the L2 subscription process here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41197.0

2) Add your requirements in the PM (as shown on the above link), noting it's a gift, when it's going to be active from (in this case I'd activate it before Christmas, so he's ready to go on Christmas Day - the first day of the term). And if you want me to set up an account for him (or if you're going to do it, to which I'd only need the username for me to upgrade).

3) Your son's account will have the welcome and overview message PM ready for him to read from the moment he first logs in and that acts like the front day (welcome, rules and great first links to use, such as our L2 Hall Of Fame).

Hope that helps!
 Chris.

Awesome! Thanks Chris. That's perfect and very helpful!

Offline Daniel9

• New York
« Reply #16 on: 01/07/2017 07:04 pm »
Just wanted to come back on site to say my son absolutely loves L2 and this site and I really appreciate how Chris and a moderator both helped my son find his way around. He was super excited and is spending a lot of his free time here and not on his Xbox.

Thank you for a great site and a great team.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #17 on: 01/07/2017 07:24 pm »
In the current world, where fake news fools people into making uninformed and wrong decisions and assumptions about companies and people, I find the L2 section to be a wonderful place to find validated information.  Plus it's a good source of inside information that usually doesn't make it out to the public, and provides a way to understand better what does make it out to the public.

This may sound weird, but I think the L2 information provides sort of a calming effect for general public topics that generate intense interest, since even though what's in L2 has to stay in L2, many people know who the people are that have L2 access, and watch their comments for subtle indications of what's going on.  And since speculation is usually more extreme than the truth, I think this helps to keep discussions in the public forums more constructive.

As a lifetime aerospace geek, it has been a joy to be an L2 member.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2017 12:23 am by Coastal Ron »
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline SpaceyStu

• Earth
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #18 on: 02/11/2017 01:19 pm »
I just joined, very exciting after years of lurking. Sent PM to Chris. How long do I have to be impatient for? ;D

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #19 on: 02/11/2017 01:20 pm »
38.2 seconds :) (I saw it come in and I have this thread on notification ;D)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography