Author Topic: SpaceX Manifest Table Formatting Discussion  (Read 48500 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13774
  • Likes Given: 5890
Re: SpaceX Manifest Table Formatting Discussion
« Reply #140 on: 01/10/2023 06:08 pm »
A simple conversion of Excel to BBCode probably doesn't help me at all unless I changed the functionality of the table

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #141 on: 01/10/2023 06:36 pm »
A simple conversion of Excel to BBCode probably doesn't help me at all unless I changed the functionality of the table

I mean, you stated above (unless I misunderstand) that youíre basically just keeping a text document now.

If you converted to a true tabular format in something like Excel or a comparable spreadsheet application, you could manipulate, arrange, sort, and parse the data at will from inside the spreadsheet, then export whatever data, in whatever order or format you like, infinitely.

If there are readily-available tools to convert that output (whether it be natively inside Excel, or from CSV or tab-delimited files or whatever), why would you not want to take advantage of that flexibility?
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13774
  • Likes Given: 5890
« Reply #142 on: 01/10/2023 06:58 pm »
The conversion needs to include formatting information, not just data.  Otherwise I'm better off maintaining my current routine.

Online Comga

• Liked: 4558
  • Likes Given: 5063
« Reply #143 on: 01/10/2023 07:55 pm »
The conversion needs to include formatting information, not just data.  Otherwise I'm better off maintaining my current routine.

Sure, but thatís easy
The formatting can be in hidden columns that print the hypertext coding, and ate copied down en mass with a drag.
For instance, you could augment the (table column stop, table column start) before and after the mission name with the green color that was extra work to add
After a launch, you cut the row with the dashes, and insert it under the launched mission.
Then you just drag-copy the format with the green color start and stop.
Piece of cake
Quick as a wink
And thatís just off-the-cuff
YMMBB (Your mileage may be better)

I keep my own manifest and history in a spreadsheet that has been evolving for almost  19 years.  A real database might be better, but it works well for me.

ďTo a man with a hammer,
Every problem looks like a nail.
I have Excel!Ē
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2511
  • Likes Given: 2172
« Reply #144 on: 01/11/2023 02:32 am »
Sure, but that’s easy
The formatting can be in hidden columns that print the hypertext coding, and ate copied down en mass with a drag.
For instance, you could augment the (table column stop, table column start) before and after the mission name with the green color that was extra work to add
After a launch, you cut the row with the dashes, and insert it under the launched mission.
Then you just drag-copy the format with the green color start and stop.

I was goofing around with an Excel s/sheet (pedantically, a Libreoffice s/sheet saved as .xls) and figured the most user friendly way of doing it is to be as dumb as possible.

No macros/scripts. Use multiple sheets. First sheet is just data (but with extra columns for the colour/urls for their associated cell.) The second sheet turns that into markdown format for each single TD cell, but with as many extra columns as needed to first explode then stepwise concatenate the cell markdown. Third sheet concats the completed cells in each row into a single line of text. Fourth concats all rows into a single copyable line for the whole table.

The idea being that if you need to change anything about the format, not just the data, everything is exploded into pieces that can hopefully be manipulated fairly easy, without having to worry too much about the upstream or downstream layout/formulae. And if you do break something, it'll generally just be a borked cell ref.

I might play around with it some more on the weekend.

Even if it isn't useful to Gongora, I hate creating BBCode tables directly, so doing it in Excel once will be a useful exercise in deciding whether a particular future table will be quicker to do manually or to hack out a spreadsheet.

“To a man with a hammer,
Every problem looks like a nail.
I have Excel!”

[edit: A more interesting puzzle would be turning someone else's BBCode markdown table as a single line into a spreadsheet and getting it to break it apart into Excel/etc formatted cells. Lots of lookups chained together, I suspect, if I want to avoid scripts.]
« Last Edit: 01/11/2023 02:39 am by Paul451 »

Online Comga

• Liked: 4558
  • Likes Given: 5063
« Reply #145 on: 07/18/2023 03:25 pm »
Can the column width for booster number be expanded by a single character?
At present it wraps for boosters on their tenth or greater flights, because there are two digits after the dash for a total of seven (ď10XX-1XĒ)
That started only recently but is now frequent.
Itís hard to keep up with SpaceX!
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography