Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375374 times)

Offline MP99

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #240 on: 12/02/2013 01:42 pm »
What setting have you got for Profile / Look & layout / Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible?

cheers, Martin

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #241 on: 12/05/2013 08:10 pm »
Thread for your feedback!

The layout has HUGE empty left and right margins.
As in: most of the screen width goes unused.

See attached screenshot. This is on Firefox 23.0.1.

That's just you. I'm sure someone will find a solution to whatever your browser is doing wrong.

This is what it looks like for everyone else....

Still some margin here. Chrome 31.0.1650.57, Mac OS X 10.8.5
« Last Edit: 12/05/2013 08:11 pm by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
« Reply #242 on: 12/05/2013 08:13 pm »
Also, the URL to my Avatar seems to have broken, it was an uploaded Avatar. Also, when I try to upload a new avatar I get:
An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #243 on: 12/05/2013 08:37 pm »
Also, the URL to my Avatar seems to have broken, it was an uploaded Avatar. Also, when I try to upload a new avatar I get:
An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Trying converting your avatar to .png (or .jpg) save it again and re-upload
there is some strict checking done on the image upload part

Offline The Roadie

• Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 2327
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #244 on: 12/07/2013 02:54 am »
NSF noob here - long time VBulletin user elsewhere. Is this the place to ask about broken links? I was looking for info on the Shuttle hydrogen burnoff system. Found this thread using "hydrogen burnoff" as the search phrase:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=4026.0

Last post links to:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4012&posts=12&start=1

but that's 404. Nothing else in a search comes up with a dedicated thread on the system, although other threads hint at it.

"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #245 on: 12/07/2013 08:17 am »
NSF noob here - long time VBulletin user elsewhere. Is this the place to ask about broken links? I was looking for info on the Shuttle hydrogen burnoff system. Found this thread using "hydrogen burnoff" as the search phrase:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=4026.0

Last post links to:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4012&posts=12&start=1

but that's 404. Nothing else in a search comes up with a dedicated thread on the system, although other threads hint at it.

It's tricky as we did a major version and server upgrade recently and sometimes we bump into this.
link has been fixed.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
« Reply #246 on: 12/08/2013 05:13 pm »
An Error Has Occurred!

Trying converting your avatar to .png (or .jpg) save it again and re-upload
there is some strict checking done on the image upload part

Nope. I think its broken. Every attempt I make to upload an Avatar gives the error I gave before. There's also the issue that I had already earlier uploaded an Avatar several months ago that worked and now it shows as a broken link.

Offline The Roadie

• Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 2327
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #247 on: 12/08/2013 05:16 pm »
I get the same avater error on my first few attempts. Thought it might require ten posts or something before one was avatar-enabled, but could not find a link to restrictions like that.
"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #248 on: 12/08/2013 07:40 pm »
Hi Chris
There is already a small icon that attaches to the thread icon showing whether or not one has posted in that thread. Is it possible to have a similar icon that identifies a thread that has been subscribed to, but not posted in? My thought was that once subscribed that icon would appear in the same spot where the "posted" icon is, and then once someone actually posts, it would be replaced by the current "posted" icon. I often subscribe to a thread but don't post for quite a while. Occasionally I like to lurk for a while. Also it would be a handy identifier when we go in occasionally to clean up outdated subscriptions. I know that I have occasionally noted several outdated threads I had subscribed to but never posted in. It would be a nice touch. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 12/08/2013 07:42 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #249 on: 12/15/2013 03:15 pm »
Still having huge issues adding an avatar. Adding by URL (http://gravatar.com/avatar/06f805ee4a6d002229ab6a9730d1b988.jpg) fails silently — SMF claims to update my profile but the avatar setting is always reset to "no avatar", and uploading any file gives a message that "the attachments directory is not writable".
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #250 on: 12/15/2013 03:30 pm »
Yep, just tried to do it for you and jpeg showed no errors, but didn't appear. Tried jpg version and got "The attachments upload directory is not writable."

So that's something we'll work on solving. Jester is in transit for a while, but we will sort it out.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #251 on: 12/18/2013 12:14 am »
Did a quick check and change, needs work by Mark though, seems to be working for the above issue (as in the uploaded image works now)

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #252 on: 12/18/2013 07:51 am »
Thanks folks!
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline Misha Vargas

« Reply #253 on: 12/30/2013 03:59 pm »
For some reason, the posts on page 6 and 7 of this thread are stretch'd. Here's a picture, just in case it's just me:

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #254 on: 12/30/2013 04:03 pm »
Some numpty posted a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge URL. Refresh, it'll be ok now :)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Misha Vargas

« Reply #255 on: 12/30/2013 04:07 pm »
Ah yes, I see it now. It's still on page seven, in a quote.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #256 on: 12/30/2013 04:15 pm »
Sorted.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #257 on: 01/08/2014 03:57 am »
Per some rather questionable google adsense adverts that were turning up (very few and far between, but that's still too many) in the second post of every thread page, we've disabled them for the interim. We'll either work on a filter to ensure they are better targeted for our audience, or we will ensure that by creating our own ad space, be it for L2 or space-specific advertisers.

I'd rather us lose out on a bit of cash than to have dodgy adverts.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #258 on: 01/08/2014 04:14 pm »
Chris, dodgy adverts can be entertaining but I appreciate your efforts keeping them off this site. The quality of information available here is absolutely amazing. Keep up the good work.
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #259 on: 01/08/2014 04:24 pm »
Thanks, and I appreciate that, a lot!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography