Author Topic: Woodward's effect  (Read 803007 times)

Offline Stormbringer

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Woodward's effect
« Reply #1320 on: 03/22/2018 05:54 pm »
well you are writing a science fiction story ... so if the intrepid travelers get stranded and try to find a way to overcome this problem. They might decide to search for a proximal naturally occurring wormhole which would probably appear to be a normal black hole until examined for signatures that would differ from a normal black hole. Spectral data and refraction indexes. of course it might be thousands of light years away from their present location.

Cite:  https://phys.org/news/2011-02-scientists-possibility-wormholes-stars.html

if you decide the natural wormhole isn't in their star system (which very likely the case) they have to get to the proper wormhole via artificial wormholes or they have to find a (hand-wavy) way to connect an artificial wormhole to the primordial wormhole network. A primordial wormhole network started existing so far in the past that it is nearly completely "exempt" from time travel prohibition. According to some theories primordial wormholes are all connected to each other and any naturally occurring wormholes that appeared later are also potentially included depending on how they formed.

Or they might presume the home civilization is sending a new wormhole  which strands them a few weeks to a year or so or else have to communicate the request which would strand them years, centuries or millennia depending on the distance from home.
When antigravity is outlawed only outlaws will have antigravity.

Offline Stormbringer

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #1321 on: 03/22/2018 06:02 pm »
If Cramer's ideas about steering the distal end of the wormhole by sending energy or matter through it is true i think you'd gain access to freely available abundant negative energy. i do not know how far you can carry this idea but i think what develops at the other end due to the back reaction is the opposite of what is developed on the proximal end. So positive energy here would generate negative energy or mass on the distal end or maybe i am wrong in going that far? you could make a box with a short wormhole inside and you toss regular energy into and get negative energy on the other side. you could put regular matter into the region around the throat of the aperture and get anti particles around the region of the throat of the distal opening. and i do not know if matter just passing through is inverted into antimatter but i do know the image from the other end gets mirror reversed so... 

Anyway here is a set of intersting links about searching for preexisting wormholes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=astronomers+search+for+wormholes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
« Last Edit: 03/22/2018 10:12 pm by Stormbringer »
When antigravity is outlawed only outlaws will have antigravity.

Online HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #1323 on: 03/30/2018 10:34 pm »
Here’s the press release in full.

Mach Effect for In Space Propulsion: Interstellar Mission

We propose to study the implementation of an innovative thrust producing technology for use in NASA missions involving in space main propulsion. Mach Effect Gravity Assist (MEGA) drive propulsion is based on peer-reviewed, technically credible physics. Mach effects are transient variations in the rest masses of objects that simultaneously experience accelerations and internal energy changes. They are predicted by standard physics where Mach's principle applies as discussed in peer- reviewed papers spanning 20 years and a recent book, Making Starships and Stargates: the Science of Interstellar Transport and Absurdly Benign Wormholes published in 2013 by Springer-Verlag.

In Phase I we achieved the following:

Implemented chirped pulses to reduce heating and provide a longer duration thrust capability.
Designed and developed circuits to allow for 1f and 2f frequency impedance matched AC input to the device, to improve efficiency of the MEGA drive.
Developed a better theoretical model for the device and conceptualized a probe for an interstellar mission to Proxima b. In Phase II, the next critical step in the development of these thrusters is to test new designs with higher frequency to increase the output thrust.
We have been using Steiner Martin's SM-111 PZT for our devices. We also expect to test new materials, for example APC-840 PZT, and PIN-PMN-PT, which we have procured but not had the opportunity to yet evaluate. It would also be advantageous to operate multiple devices to determine the thrust scales in arrays of 2 or more devices. We view the independent verification of the MEGA Drive effects by experts in the vacuum testing of micropropulsion as a crucial step in Phase II. We envision a collaboration with several entities (from academia and industry) to enable the testing of new devices. Mach effects have the revolutionary capability to produce thrust without the ejection of propellant, eliminating the need to carry propellant as required with most other propulsion systems. Ultimately, once proven in flight, these thrusters could be used for primary mission propulsion, opening up the solar system and making interstellar missions a reality. This aerospace concept is an exciting TRL 1 technology, ready to take the next step to providing propellantless propulsion, first in incremental NASA smallsat missions, but later enabling revolutionary new deep space exploratory capabilities beyond anything achievable by conventional chemical, nuclear or electric propulsion systems.

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2018_Phase_I_Phase_II/Mach_Effect_for_In_Space_Propulsion_Interstellar_Mission

Online HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #1324 on: 03/31/2018 03:35 pm »
I wish to take this opportunity to thank Chris Bergin and this website's moderators for creating and hosting this sub-forum, because it is likely SSI and the Mach Effects team might not have received these NASA NIAC grants without your interest and support.  (Some members of the team came together by participating in this forum on New Physics for Space Technology.)  I'd also like to thank forum commentators and readers.

Thanks again for having the courage to establish this forum!  However the science and engineering turn out, it has been quite a ride.

Gary C Hudson
President & Trustee
The Space Studies Institute, Inc.
a 501(c)3 non-profit
www.ssi.org

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #1325 on: 03/31/2018 04:58 pm »
I wish to take this opportunity to thank Chris Bergin and this website's moderators for creating and hosting this sub-forum, because it is likely SSI and the Mach Effects team might not have received these NASA NIAC grants without your interest and support.  (Some members of the team came together by participating in this forum on New Physics for Space Technology.)  I'd also like to thank forum commentators and readers.

Thanks again for having the courage to establish this forum!  However the science and engineering turn out, it has been quite a ride.

Gary C Hudson
President & Trustee
a 501(c)3 non-profit
www.ssi.org

That's awesome to hear, Gary - and important to hear as there's been many a time I've questioned (via numerous people complaining about it, which becomes a pain as all the mods receive an e-mail every time someone 'reports to mod' on a post) if we should keep this sub section.

I think the post above will prove to be a good a reminder - now and in the future - it was/is right to keep it going.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1326 on: 03/31/2018 05:44 pm »

Gary C Hudson
President & Trustee
a 501(c)3 non-profit
www.ssi.org

That's awesome to hear, Gary - and important to hear as there's been many a time I've questioned (via numerous people complaining about it, which becomes a pain as all the mods receive an e-mail every time someone 'reports to mod' on a post) if we should keep this sub section.

I think the post above will prove to be a good a reminder - now and in the future - it was/is right to keep it going.

It also helps that the ‘heat’ has gone out of the topic. The general public has lost interest and moved on. In my view that’s probably for the best.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #1327 on: 03/31/2018 10:03 pm »

Gary C Hudson
President & Trustee
a 501(c)3 non-profit
www.ssi.org
Congrats on receiving a NIAC phase II grant! I hope that this money will allow you to proof the technology!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #1328 on: 04/01/2018 03:55 am »
congrats indeed...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online M.E.T.

• Liked: 2912
  • Likes Given: 508
« Reply #1329 on: 04/01/2018 05:45 am »
Well, probably no surprise based on my username, the Mach Effect Thruster discussion is what brought me to this forum in the first place, allowing me to discover all the other interesting topics also available here.

This NASA announcement sounds like the great leap forward that the research team has been waiting for for all these years.

Congratulations. This is fantastic news. Does anyone know what the timeframe of this study will be and when  the first results will start coming through?

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1330 on: 04/01/2018 08:25 am »
Well, probably no surprise based on my username, the Mach Effect Thruster discussion is what brought me to this forum in the first place, allowing me to discover all the other interesting topics also available here.

This NASA announcement sounds like the great leap forward that the research team has been waiting for for all these years.

Congratulations. This is fantastic news. Does anyone know what the timeframe of this study will be and when  the first results will start coming through?

I wouldn’t have thought that would be made public at this time.

Offline SeeShells

• Every action there's a reaction we try to grasp.
  • United States
  • Liked: 3186
  • Likes Given: 2708
« Reply #1331 on: 04/01/2018 11:35 am »

It is fantastic news.
Here is a summary with time frames.

https://goo.gl/zZDSpz

Mach Effect Propellantless drive gets NIAC phase 2 and progress towards great interstellar propulsion
NextBigFuture
brian wang | April 1, 2018

My Very Best,
Shell

Offline Star One

• UK
Woodward's effect
« Reply #1332 on: 04/01/2018 02:40 pm »

It is fantastic news.
Here is a summary with time frames.

https://goo.gl/zZDSpz

Mach Effect Propellantless drive gets NIAC phase 2 and progress towards great interstellar propulsion
NextBigFuture
brian wang | April 1, 2018

My Very Best,
Shell

When I use that link it defaults to that websites homepage so here’s the direct link.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/04/mach-effect-propellantless-drive-gets-niac-phase-2-and-progress-to-great-interstellar-propulsion.html

By the way as a general warning to people don’t bother looking on another well known site that still has a area dedicated to these experiments for coverage of this news as it really isn’t worth it these days compared to a few years back.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2018 04:01 pm by Star One »

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1333 on: 04/02/2018 06:00 pm »
With this NIAC grant and implicit recognition by NASA of the merits of this research, is there any possibility that more researchers will see EMdrive as a worthwhile research opportunity?

(If there's a breakthrough, then of course everyone will be scrambling to jump on the bandwagon - but as it's still early on, will skepticism continue to keep the mainstreamers away?)

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #1334 on: 04/02/2018 06:25 pm »
With this NIAC grant and implicit recognition by NASA of the merits of this research, is there any possibility that more researchers will see EMdrive as a worthwhile research opportunity?

(If there's a breakthrough, then of course everyone will be scrambling to jump on the bandwagon - but as it's still early on, will skepticism continue to keep the mainstreamers away?)

Can't compare the two. MAGA has shown some results that warrant a second look while EM drive has not. EM drive experiments need to show results above signal to noise ratio.

Offline sanman

« Reply #1335 on: 04/03/2018 01:54 am »

Can't compare the two. MAGA has shown some results that warrant a second look while EM drive has not. EM drive experiments need to show results above signal to noise ratio.

Oops - sorry to mention EMdrive - I should have said MEGA drive - getting my breakthrough propulsions mixed up.  :P

So, what I said before, but with MEGA drive.

Online M.E.T.

« Reply #1336 on: 04/03/2018 08:55 am »

Oops - sorry to mention EMdrive - I should have said MEGA drive - getting my breakthrough propulsions mixed up.  :P

I have personally been somewhat surprised that a cutting edge company like SpaceX hasn't gotten involved in this effort. For the cost of one F9 fairing, Musk could probably have boosted this research to the next level. And might have had first access to any potential breakthrough technologies unlocked.

The cost/benefit seems a no brainer. What was there to lose? Too late now, I guess. Now everyone will be interested.

Online M.E.T.

« Reply #1337 on: 04/03/2018 08:57 am »

Offline sanman

« Reply #1338 on: 04/03/2018 09:38 am »
I have personally been somewhat surprised that a cutting edge company like SpaceX hasn't gotten involved in this effort. For the cost of one F9 fairing, Musk could probably have boosted this research to the next level. And might have had first access to any potential breakthrough technologies unlocked.

The cost/benefit seems a no brainer. What was there to lose? Too late now, I guess. Now everyone will be interested.

Musk doesn't do new physics - he takes existing technologies and repurposes/recombines them for newer applications with better results.

Offline Bob Woods

• Salem, Oregon USA
  • Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 1579
« Reply #1339 on: 04/03/2018 11:14 pm »

September 25-27 | 2018 NIAC Symposium, Boston, MA - Location Not Specified
September 22 | NIAC Inventive Genius Lecture: From Science Fiction to Science Fact, Boston Museum of Science

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography