Author Topic: LIVE: Shenzhou-11 Mission Coverage - October/November, 2016  (Read 219178 times)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 7959
Are they going to demonstrate how to build a modular space station without EVA? Or will the 2015/20 phase work specifically on EVA experience? Just a thought.

Mir was assembled without EVA. The larges Chinese station appears to use the same approach.
The solar arrays installed on 1987 was done by EVA, among others. And they had to do EVAs for repairs.
List of Mir EVAs
I still think they'll have to do EVAs, even if only for repairs. But they have to develop experience and a spacesuit with the necessary mobility for space repairs. Plus the development of tools and techniques, plus training. From looking into the astronaut training times, they should be, at the very least, building the EVA simulation pools right now.

Offline heinkel174

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 135
Are they going to demonstrate how to build a modular space station without EVA? Or will the 2015/20 phase work specifically on EVA experience? Just a thought.

Mir was assembled without EVA. The larges Chinese station appears to use the same approach.
The solar arrays installed on 1987 was done by EVA, among others. And they had to do EVAs for repairs.
List of Mir EVAs
I still think they'll have to do EVAs, even if only for repairs. But they have to develop experience and a spacesuit with the necessary mobility for space repairs. Plus the development of tools and techniques, plus training. From looking into the astronaut training times, they should be, at the very least, building the EVA simulation pools right now.

They already have a neutral buoyancy tank for SZ-7 training, which to me seems large enough to accommodate at least one full-size 20t module.

And I'm pretty sure more sophisticated EVAs will be conducted at the new station, maybe attempted as early as TG-2. There's no rush. Remember Soviets also have a 8-year gap between soyuz 4/5 and salyut 6.

Offline Zero-G

• Switzerland
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 31

List of Mir EVAs

They already have their own EVA spacesuit. It's called Feitian and looks very similar to the Russian Orlan suit. Zhai Zhigang wore a Feitian on his EVA on Shenzhou-7, while Liu Boming wore an Orlan.
As already mentioned, they also have their own hydrolab for EVA training. See here for example: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=5137.msg275684#msg275684
"I still don't understand who I am: the first human or the last dog in space." - Yuri Gagarin

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 649
  • Likes Given: 868

List of Mir EVAs

Still minimal compared with ISS.

But yes, I would expect China to do more EVAs in due course.
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline beidou

• Mars
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 3
On a seminar given to Chinese college students, a senior adviser to Chinese Manned Space Project mentioned the launch could be in the May of 2016.
Source: http://bbs.9ifly.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=12879&fromuid=24484

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1557
  • Likes Given: 890
So I think this probably takes the launch of TG-2 to the last quarter of 2015 (?).

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 555
  • Likes Given: 1078
So I think this probably takes the launch of TG-2 to the last quarter of 2015 (?).

And if we get one piloted mission a year then three flights would be 2016, 2017 and 2018.   Then we hand over to the modular station, "The Tiangong Complex".   Or maybe "ISS 2".
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

The same interview also mention that the mission will have no more than 3 astronauts flying for a maximum of 7 days. The launch date is tentatively set following the launch of TG-2 and the first flight of the CZ-5, both in 2015.

Let me see if I have time soon to note the details from the interview with Huang Chunping.....
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
The same interview also mention that the mission will have no more than 3 astronauts flying for a maximum of 7 days. The launch date is tentatively set following the launch of TG-2 and the first flight of the CZ-5, both in 2015.
Let me see if I have time soon to note the details from the interview with Huang Chunping.....

Seven days seems extremely short, especially since the two flights to TG 1 were about two weeks each.   Maybe a short flight to prepare TG 2 and transfer goodies from the cargo module and then let the two later visits be for 1-3 months or so?

Offline beidou

• Mars
China will also launch a manned spacecraft, the Shenzhou-11, and Tianzhou-1 cargo spaceship to dock with Tiangong-2, Yang said.

http://english.cri.cn/12394/2014/09/10/189s843637.htm

Offline beidou

• Mars
It has been confirmed that this will fly in 2016.

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 100
Re: Shenzhou-11 (SZ-11) - CZ-2F/G - JSLC - 2016
« Reply #31 on: 01/21/2016 07:47 pm »
With acknowledgement to a poster on the NK Forum, as well as the 9ifly source:-

http://bbs.9ifly.cn/thread-12879-3-1.html

It appears that Chinese sources are reporting the completion of  thermal control testing of the completed SZ-11 assembly (as per Google Translation)!

I wonder if we can backtrack to the same report for earlier SZ's, as this will provide an indication of the projected launch date.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #32 on: 01/22/2016 03:37 am »
Since Tiangong 2 is due in September 2016 at the earliest, I would put Shenzhou 11 as being the "fourth quarter".

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #33 on: 01/22/2016 07:53 am »
Since Tiangong 2 is due in September 2016 at the earliest, I would put Shenzhou 11 as being the "fourth quarter".

Phil, where has the September date for TG-2 originated. Clearly SZ-11 must follow TG-2, presumably by weeks or months, but I haven't seen such a firm date for TG-2 quoted elsewhere?

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1480
  • Likes Given: 456
« Reply #34 on: 01/22/2016 09:44 am »
According to http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/sci/2016-01/08/c_134990792.htm Tiangong 2 will be launched in the first half of 2016.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #35 on: 01/22/2016 10:27 am »
According to http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/sci/2016-01/08/c_134990792.htm Tiangong 2 will be launched in the first half of 2016.

That might well be out-of-date now, even though it's only two weeks away.

Offline Nordren

• Finland
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #36 on: 01/22/2016 11:33 am »

That might well be out-of-date now, even though it's only two weeks away.

There's news from CASC today that Tiangong-2, Shenzhou-11 and Long March 7 will be launched within half a year. Seems typically vague, but it's notable that they aren't adding Long March 5 into the mix, suggesting that these will be done before CZ-5 takes off in September/October.

But I would say this will all be cleared up before or during the annual parliamentary sessions in March, at the latest.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1557
  • Likes Given: 890
« Reply #37 on: 02/14/2016 03:58 pm »
I think these are the first images we have from SZ-11 (?)

http://news.cntv.cn/2016/02/14/VIDEcWlzchMP8zOWmjj3yhVX160214.shtml
« Last Edit: 02/14/2016 03:58 pm by Satori »

Offline lucspace

• Hilversum, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #38 on: 02/14/2016 05:42 pm »
Not sure if it is very revealing, but some nice footage of tests on the docking system here: http://gbtimes.com/china/tiangong-2-video-shows-docking-system-chinas-new-space-lab

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 19702
  • Likes Given: 3260
« Reply #39 on: 02/15/2016 05:37 am »
I think these are the first images we have from SZ-11 (?)

http://news.cntv.cn/2016/02/14/VIDEcWlzchMP8zOWmjj3yhVX160214.shtml

Could be! Screen captures attached. The animation pictures at the end, except for the modular space station, look like they are from earlier missions.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography