Author Topic: NASA in the movies  (Read 5708 times)

Offline RHAnthony

• I'm in yer planetz, talkin 2 ur roverz
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
NASA in the movies
« on: 01/08/2007 05:10 am »
I really enjoyed the "Armageddon" thread about movie inaccuracies but I wanted to get a new threat started to talk about movies that showcase or somehow involve NASA (not pure sci-fi, but tied to the NASA we know, love, and usually support!)...

To kick it off, has anyone heard any good details about the upcoming film Challenger slated for 2008 release at Cannes?

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
Re: NASA in the movies
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/2007 12:45 pm »
In before Apollo 13.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2007 11:54 pm »
Other than that "Challenger" tells the story of Dr. Richard Feynman, a thorn in the side of the Challenger accident investigation group (was that the Rogers Commission?), not much.
Perhaps "Challenger" will open up the door for Dr. Douglas Osheroff of the CAIB. I hope that "Challenger" does well.
There is a tendancy in the movies to depict NASA and its people in less than a complimentary light. This saddens me, because how can we expect the next generation to want to be part of spaceflight when our only governmental agency is depicted in such a fashion?
I have used the example of "Apollo 13" to explain how NASA used to be, and "Space Cowboys" to depict how it is today. And before anyone flames me, it wasn't on Gene Kranz's watch that "I don't think there is much we can do" replaced "Failure is not an option".

Offline RHAnthony

« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2007 09:32 am »
I really wish as well, there were some pictures focused more at shedding a brighter light on NASA's people and directions!
What I'd love to see, is a fictional movie about life on a space station, grounded in approximated limits of technology about 10 years out from now or so.
Realistic, but looking forward.  Perhaps based on overcoming a "malfunction".  Just, nothing with aliens, or smuggled nuclear weapons with a crazy guy holding the keys... gah.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
RE: NASA in the movies
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2007 09:42 am »
To my taste it's either space is presented as real as possible, or none at all (leaving it all to the good documentaries).  Hoping that the Hollywood "pukes" would inspire a drive to space in general population is futile at best (detrimental at worst), IMO.

Offline RHAnthony

« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2007 09:56 am »
I don't hope they'd drive it... I just hope they don't do the opposite!  I don't like seeing the movies about ANY topic that are so over the top, it makes the reality of the subject matter seem to boring to get interested in.  I don't like seeing the faults of something, or the tragedies involved along the way, as the focus of story after story.

I would like to see someone say hey... this is what it's really like, and it's not all dramatic heart breaking horrific bad-stuff!

But, Hollywood will NEVER see a good $tory without over the top exaggerations, or climactic catastrophe.  That's a shame.
If I was in the movie industry, I honestly believe I'd be into documentaries.

Now that the topic is on the table ...

Heard of any good documentaries coming out?  
What is everyone's favorite documentary?

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 01/12/2007 10:02 am »
RHAnthony - 12/1/2007  2:39 AM
Heard of any good documentaries coming out?  
What is everyone's favorite documentary?

To me, The Apollo flight documentaries were the best to draw me into spaceflight.  What magnificence!  And it's happened!  It's real!  First human steps on an alien world!  Some time ago!   We can do it even now!  I was convinced right then.

Offline RHAnthony

« Reply #7 on: 01/12/2007 10:07 am »
Yeah, that was a pretty convincing sound stage they did that moon thing in ... I liked it too.

hehehehe... Anyone know where you could get those on DVD?  Any good source?
I found a tin-box "collectors" set of various documentary reels at Best Buy once.  Was on sale for $4. 6 DVDs.  Good stuff.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 01/12/2007 10:10 am »
RHAnthony - 12/1/2007  2:50 AM

Yeah, that was a pretty convincing sound stage they did that moon thing in ...

Eh?  Perhaps I'm being not up to date...  http://history.nasa.gov/apollo.html

[edit] although, perhaps you are being facetious, sorry

Offline RHAnthony

« Reply #9 on: 01/12/2007 10:21 am »
I was kidding :) s'ok.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 01/12/2007 10:26 am »
:) s'ok with me as well.  For a moment I thought there was a specter of the " NASA faked the Moon landings" spell.  I'm so tired of fighting the "windmills"  Sorry, if I implicated your post in this ;) :)

Offline RHAnthony

« Reply #11 on: 01/12/2007 10:32 am »
Thats a whole 'nother series of threads I'm sure.  A topic I'd love to look more into from both sides out of curiosity.  All I can find so far are mini-mentaries on YouTube, all very VERY biased towards the hoax theory side.  Theres a movie topic... Comedy, about the "astronauts" faking the moon landing... I'd go see that, but I yes it wouldn't send the message most of us here on this site would like to see on the big screen ;) But it'd be damn funny... oh yeah.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 01/12/2007 10:38 am »

Offline RHAnthony

« Reply #13 on: 01/12/2007 11:42 am »
Wow.  I just found www.MoonMovie.com and all I can say is... I'd beat that guy in the head too.
I mean there's being a skeptic and researching and interviewing and trying to discover the hidden truth if it exists...

... and then there's just being a really annoying [censored, but it's funny, just ask me!].

Seriously.  How do you expect to be taken seriously, when you employ tabloid tactics?

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 01/12/2007 11:58 am »
Checked out the www.MoonMovie.com ... "Recently uncovered footage of the crew of Apollo 11 staging part of their mission proves that the astronauts never made it beyond earth orbit.... "  Oy!  (what a load of ....)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography