Author Topic: Shuttle Launch Complex Modeling  (Read 16688 times)

Offline SpaceCat

• Florida
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Shuttle Launch Complex Modeling
« Reply #20 on: 04/13/2006 02:53 am »
I'm amazed at the coloration too- you've got everything perfectly 'aged!'
If you shot that against a bluescreen, it would sure be hard to tell it is not the real thing!
You most certainly have incredible patience and dedication!

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #21 on: 04/13/2006 03:22 am »
As one of the few who might qualify as a professional in the launch complex modelling world, I'll say you sure have done the most remarkable job on that model.

I know the Shuttle Pads probably better than almost anyone who doesn't work on them regularly, and I am amazed by the details you've managed to include.   It's truly a masterpiece of the craft.

Where do you plan to finally display this beast of yours?   At home, or on public display somewhere?

Keep up the brilliant work, and when you do finish the entire diorama, including the Shuttle Stack, you *must* post pictures of it here!

Ross B Tierney.

PS - I can't be sure, but if you're Rob, I think I've said this before :)
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Online Bubbinski

« Reply #22 on: 04/13/2006 03:24 am »
Awesome job on that complex....I've been following it on Starship Modeler.  I look forward to seeing the shuttle stack done and ready to go.  

I've built a couple of 1/144th scale shuttle launch pads (Revell kit) but did not make them anywhere near as detailed.  I wish I could!  But I don't have any space to display one now even if I could get one.....ah well.  

I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline infimurf

• Liked: 0
« Reply #23 on: 04/13/2006 03:31 am »
hey ross....we have crossed paths a few times in the yahoo groups.   and you have complemented me before
I'm tom
i've been impressed with your LUT for a while now.

it's great to hear complements from someone like you.  your lut kit is great.

i think i was talking to you a while back when i was asking some questions on modeling the Crawler.
I'd love to add that to my model at some point.   but i never think i am ever going to finish it.

i'd really love to find somewhere public to display it. it's to beg for me to keep in my basement. and between the cats and the dogs it won't last to long....and i hate dusting.

and i already have had the whole thing come crashing down to the floor in pieces.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #24 on: 04/14/2006 04:57 pm »
infimurf - 12/4/2006  11:31 PM

hey ross....we have crossed paths a few times in the yahoo groups.   and you have complemented me before
I'm tom

Gotcha now :)   Sorry, I wasn't sure from your ID!

i've been impressed with your LUT for a while now.

it's great to hear complements from someone like you.  your lut kit is great.

Thank-you.

Having done these thing myself now, I'm always impressed with anyone who has the time, patience and dedication to complete such a project as a Launch Tower.   When you get it finished, I know from personal experience, that you feel a sense of accomplishment which must have been felt by the real guys behind projects like Apollo and STS when they saw their creations completed.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can see such a massive job through to completion.

i think i was talking to you a while back when i was asking some questions on modeling the Crawler.
I'd love to add that to my model at some point.   but i never think i am ever going to finish it.

That's okay.   I'll be doing a kit of the Crawler too:)

i'd really love to find somewhere public to display it. it's to beg for me to keep in my basement. and between the cats and the dogs it won't last to long....and i hate dusting.

and i already have had the whole thing come crashing down to the floor in pieces.

Yikes!

I've had some accidents like that myself, and I'm currently involved in a repair job for a friend's 1:96 Saturn-V model which got whacked.   Glad you were not discouraged by the mishap, and I hope you can keep it protected until it can be put in a museum nearby to where you live.

Models like that are always really cool and are appreciated by people who are both new and familiar to the program!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #25 on: 04/14/2006 05:22 pm »
Avron - 12/4/2006  5:01 PM
Flightstar - 12/4/2006  10:17 AMA great piece of work. I've seen some models before, which miss out the railings along the flame trench. You seem to have it all right here.
Great piece of work... truly amazing..Quick question... what is the cart that straddles the flame trench?

That is the SSME Servicing Platform.  It is used for accessing the SSME's on the pad and if necessary, allow changeout of one

Offline RRP

• Regular
  • USA
« Reply #26 on: 04/14/2006 05:41 pm »
It might be worth asking if NASA wouldn't like to display it when it is finished. Beautiful work. Looks museum quality from the picture.

Offline Shuttle Man

• Veteran
  • KSC
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: 04/14/2006 06:09 pm »
RRP - 14/4/2006  12:41 PM

It might be worth asking if NASA wouldn't like to display it when it is finished. Beautiful work. Looks museum quality from the picture.

Don't do it. Don't let NASA get their dirty hands on that fine peice of work :)
Ex-Apollo, waiting for NASA to finish what we started.

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 05/18/2006 07:03 pm »
Next job:  A fully functional space shuttle at the same scale.  If you did the lauch complex from scratch, the shuttle should be a peice of cake :D

What is the platform under the MLP for? it is the part that is across the flame treach I am wondering about.

How the heck did you do that?  I can see buying a hit, from all the parts from scratch?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #29 on: 05/18/2006 07:12 pm »
Jim - 14/4/2006  1:09 PM

Avron - 12/4/2006  5:01 PM
Flightstar - 12/4/2006  10:17 AMA great piece of work. I've seen some models before, which miss out the railings along the flame trench. You seem to have it all right here.
Great piece of work... truly amazing..Quick question... what is the cart that straddles the flame trench?

That is the SSME Servicing Platform.  It is used for accessing the SSME's on the pad and if necessary, allow changeout of one

Read the earlier posts

Offline infimurf

Re: Shuttle Launch Complex Modeling
« Reply #30 on: 06/19/2006 04:10 am »
hey guys.....questions for you.   i'm thinking about modeling the crawler-transporter.   anyone know where i can get good schematics for the thing?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography