Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CRS-4/SpX-4 DRAGON - Sept 20, 2014 - LAUNCH/FD1-2  (Read 109534 times)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Another beautiful long exposure of the launch:

Offline mhlas7

• Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 721
Another beautiful long exposure of the launch:

Who took that picture? I would love a higher res copy for a background

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 390
The view from Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral of the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch to the International Space Station from Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at 1:52 a.m. Sunday morning Sept. 21, 2014. This is a two and a half minute time exposure of the launch. AP/Malcolm Denemark/Florida Today

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/article2189308.html#storylink=cpy

Palm Beach Post has the highest res I've seen - http://tinyurl.com/p9x6nut

« Last Edit: 09/22/2014 08:58 pm by joncz »

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
I'd love to see a feed combination that shows separation vs LOX and SECO vs LOX. The LOX climbed in one direction meaning the second stage started tilting in the opposite. That tilt might be visible from outside.

Online Chris Bergin

New thread late tonight for RNDZ and Berthing updates.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
Funnies with the TLEs.
The object cataloged as "Dragon CRS-4", 40210, was actually one of the solar array covers until just now and is in a rapidly decaying orbit like 40211.
40210 has now been swapped with 40212 (i.e. the latest TLEs for 40210 give the orbit of the object formerly known as 40212, and vice versa). This objectis in a 204 x 349 km orbit as of 1400 UTC today, and, contrary to expectations
for Dragon, does not appeared to have maneuvered:

Sep 21 0548 UTC   Orbit 203 x 358 km x 51.6 deg  RA = 344 deg
  Sep 22 1357 UTC   Orbit 204 x 349 km x 51.6 deg  RA = 337 deg

although it is clearly dense and not rapidly decaying, the lack of maneuvers makes me think it might not be
Dragon either... there are usually independent orbital elements on NASA's SkyWatch page at
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html but they don't seem to have
added the Dragon yet for this mission, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Coverage now for people logged in as pre-warned.

Before this thread gets closed ... Chris B., you posted the above a few minutes before the launch.  I think you were warning people that if server load got too high you'd limit page views to people logged in, but it wasn't at all clear, and certainly would not have been to a newbie here, which is of course the key audience for those kinds of warnings.  So, a gentle suggestion that you be a little more clear next time.  If that IS what you meant :)

As always, thanks for the coverage!
« Last Edit: 09/23/2014 05:39 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline 411rocket

• Retired RCEME w/ tours in Cyprus, Croatia, Bosnia
  • Vancouver Island
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 120
Coverage now for people logged in as pre-warned.

Before this thread gets closed ... Chris B., you posted the above a few minutes before the launch.  I think you were warning people that if server load got too high you'd limit page views to people logged in, but it wasn't at all clear, and certainly would not have been to a newbie here, which is of course the key audience for those kinds of warnings.  So, a gentle suggestion that you be a little more clear next time.  If that IS what you meant :)

As always, thanks for the coverage!

Please refer to post #1, in this same thread.

UPDATE THREAD for SpaceX's CRS-4/SpX-4 launch - ATTEMPT 2

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE FULLY EXPECT THE SITE TO BE VERY BUSY ON LAUNCH DAYS FOR SPACEX MISSIONS. WE WILL RESTRICT IT TO FORUM MEMBERS ONLY - WITH NO ACCESS TO THE FORUM FOR GUESTS - WHEN THE SITE BECOMES TOO BUSY. READ THIS: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31697.0)

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
Can this thread remain open until we hear about first stage recovery/debris etc?
Unless it's already too late for that...
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline GregA

• Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 61
While I didn't read this at the time, chrisC is right, if it's worth doing then worth making it clear.

Little things can make a big difference. A good experience will help people come back. :)
« Last Edit: 09/23/2014 08:10 am by GregA »

Offline Paul_G

Funnies with the TLEs.
although it is clearly dense and not rapidly decaying, the lack of maneuvers makes me think it might not be
Dragon either... there are usually independent orbital elements on NASA's SkyWatch page at
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html but they don't seem to have added the Dragon yet for this mission, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Wasn't there a small satellite on the second stage of this launch - could this be what is being tracked here?

Paul

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Funnies with the TLEs.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html but they don't seem to have added the Dragon yet for this mission, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Wasn't there a small satellite on the second stage of this launch - could this be what is being tracked here?

Paul

Nope, no cubesats carried on board the rocket this time, and only SpinSat is on board the Dragon for deployment from the ISS.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online Galactic Penguin SST

In other news, more launch photos are available from SpaceX's website and KSC's multimedia gallery.

Some of my favorite choices:  8)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
NASA, SpaceX Share Data On Supersonic Retropropulsion

After multiple attempts, airborne NASA and U.S. Navy IR tracking cameras have captured a SpaceX Falcon 9 in flight as its first stage falls back toward Earth shortly after second-stage ignition and then reignites to lower the stage toward a propulsive “zero-velocity, zero-altitude” touchdown on the sea surface (see images).

http://aviationweek.com/space/nasa-spacex-share-data-supersonic-retropropulsion

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Cool! Here is the image from the article, and the caption:
In this thermal imagery captured shortly after stage separation, the top of the SpaceX Falcon 9 first stage appears as a dim dot with a fading plume within the brighter upper-stage plume. In the inset, the restarted first-stage engines power the first stage as it performs a propulsive descent to Earth.

NASA/Scifli Team/Applied Physics Laboratory Images

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
NASA, SpaceX Share Data On Supersonic Retropropulsion

http://aviationweek.com/space/nasa-spacex-share-data-supersonic-retropropulsion

Exciting article. Thanks for pointing to it.

Offline Maciej Olesinski

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 15

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/october/new-commercial-rocket-descent-data-may-help-nasa-with-future-mars-landings/#.VEFZPXWUdoA
Video. Well powered reentry looks very violent from that perspective.

Important info from video.
First stage maneuvers itself out of second stage fire plume
First stage peak altitude 140km.
Burn starts at 70km, ends at 40km.
« Last Edit: 10/17/2014 06:09 pm by Maciej Olesinski »

Online Chris Bergin

Yeah, that's very cool. No idea why they gave it to Aviation Week and held it from presser release.
« Last Edit: 10/17/2014 06:10 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Maciej Olesinski

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 15
Yeah, that's very cool. No idea why they gave it to Aviation Week and held it from presser release.

At least they gave them only single picture.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
Awesome video!
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman