Author Topic: Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection  (Read 39575 times)

Offline IanThePineapple

Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection
« on: 02/22/2017 01:36 am »
NOTE: This page is a wall of pictures with some text mixed in.

Hi everyone!

In the past year I began creating paper (mostly cardstock, actually) models of active, retired and future rockets. I decided I'd like to share some pictures of them, and eventually document creation of new models.

I know many people will ask, so I got these models from http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ and http://papermodelingman.com/gallery_models.html. Both are great websites and feature/produce very high quality models. I would not be surprised to see some of these models (Not the ones built be me, they're MINE *Hiss*) in museums.

Final note: All models are in 1:144 scale, except the Falcon 9s (1:100 scale), the separate capsules in front of them (I'll mention the scale under their pictures), and the Lego Shuttle (No clue about its scale)

Poyekhali! (Russian for: let's go!)

First: A complete view of (most of) the models on my model-shelf.

Left to Right:
Steel model of the Martian rovers Opportunity/Spirit
1:100 scale Apollo CSM
The giant SLS Block I,
1:96 scale Orion capsule
Ares 1-X
Falcon 9 1.1 (1:100 scale) expendable
Crew Dragon
F9 Full Thrust recoverable
Antares 230 series
Steel Space Shuttle Atlantis replica
Atlas V 401 and 501
Lego Space Shuttle (With a random Apollo 13 patch for good luck)

Next, a landed F9 first stage model (On my workbench, no room on the shelf anymore!)

This is by far my favorite model, and so far the one that came out the best. I actually tried attaching my drone to the top and attempting to fly it. I never considered the center of mass/thrust relationship, and it ended up falling over and breaking on all 4 tests. Easy repairs, though. Project scrapped.

Up next, the steel models, Shuttle Atlantis, and the rover Opportunity/Spirit (I refer to it as Spirit, homage to the now-dead rover.)

I purchased these as kits from Barnes & Noble's games section. They come as sheets of steel with laser-cut designs printed in them, you pop them out, fold them as needed, and bend locking tabs into place (No welding or gluing, only pliers needed)

Up next (I'll be using that phrase a lot), the 1:100 Apollo CSM

This (and the other capsules) was made as part of a two-day-per-capsule project to kill some down time over the summer. I now just need a LM alongside it (hint hint, possible future project)

Next, the giant SLS Block I (1:144 scale) and the Orion (1:96 scale)

The SLS was very fun to make, and took a LONG time to build (The reason I built it, to kill weeks of time over the summer). If you look at the photos showing the encapsulated Orion+LES at the top of the rocket, you'll notice it's pretty beat up. I'll just say it needs a proper stand to not fall off a 6-foot-tall shelf after every gust of wind.

Next, the Ares 1-X.

This model was also fun to make, and is one of my favorites. The LES is similar to what the SLS' looked like just after completion.

Next, the Antares 230.

This model is one of the few that are made of plain paper, not the thicker cardstock used on most others. I now realize that was a pretty poor choice, as it's wrinkled everywhere. I made this to kill a 3-day weekend (Man, I love killing days off). It shares a (cardboard) stand with the recoverable Falcon 9. I'm trying to figure out how to make a more minimalist stand, using clear plastic, wires, etc.

Up next, the Falcons and Crew Dragon

The expendable Falcon 9 1.1 was the second model I made, the first cardstock model. I was relatively inexperienced in modeling, so I didn't add in the legs or grid fins, and added an Orbcomm fairing because the second Orbcomm mission was the first Falcon launch I ever watched (And boy, was it great). I made the second Falcon because I had improved my modeling skills and wanted a modern version of the Falcon- with landing legs. I also made this version have interchangeable payloads after taking these photos (2 months ago). The Crew Dragon was part of the previously mentioned time-killing Capsule-making marathon this summer.

(Almost done) The Atlases (Atlas V 401 & 501)

The 501 was my first ever model rocket. I never changed any part of it, apart from cutting the fairing off to allow for interchangeable fairings (The MUOS 4 fairing (tallest fairing) was the original fairing). The original 401 (4th or 5th rocket I made) turned out HORRIBLE, so I almost completely remade it (saving the engine section), and it turned out very clean (in my opinion ;) )

Finally, the (1:144) Saturn V. This was the hardest model I made so far, and took, like the SLS, very long (MONTHS (mostly waiting for glue to dry, and taking one- or two-day breaks))

Man, where do I start. First off, this thing is so tall it can't fit on my model shelf without the ceiling getting in the way, so I put it on a lower shelf. I made the stages separate-able (word?) so I can use it for demonstrating how rockets stage, and what each Saturn V stage looked like. The first stage looks awful on the backside, I might redo it later. The second and especially third stages came out pretty well, so I'm overall happy with the model.

And that's it (for now). Thanks for reading/looking!

I'll be documenting my future builds in the comments. I'm not entirely sure what I'll make next, perhaps an Ariane 5 or Delta II? Maybe another fairing for the F9 or Atlas V...
« Last Edit: 03/31/2018 12:34 am by IanThePineapple »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
Re: Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection
« Reply #1 on: 02/22/2017 11:20 pm »
Really awesome, Ian!  I really admire you paper modelers.  I can never get them to look right.  I am so stuck with plastic!

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #2 on: 02/24/2017 12:14 am »
Really awesome, Ian!  I really admire you paper modelers.  I can never get them to look right.  I am so stuck with plastic!

Thanks!

This will sound very lame, but don't give up. For more than half these models I had portions that came out horribly or ripped. Reprinting and retrying fixed the problem. I actually mostly redid the Atlas V 401 because it looked awful, and it was my fourth or fifth model!

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #3 on: 03/05/2017 03:10 pm »
Tory Bruno loves the models  ;D ;D ;D

https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/838421092641406978

"@IanPineapple Wow. Those are amazing"

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2017 06:12 pm »
Oh boy what's this...

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2017 01:41 am »
My Next project: making a second stage engine for my Falcon 9 model. No plans, printing NOTHING. Making this entirely by hand with only pictures to guide me. Oh dear.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2017 03:50 am »
Alright, engine made (from SCRATCH), bottom dome of S2 done, go for final assembly.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #7 on: 03/17/2017 02:30 am »
I finished the second stage, and it doesn't look too bad to me!

I'm also upgrading my expendable Falcon 9 1.1 to have interchangable fairings, and will get an Echostar fairing soon. My desk is now looking like the Hawethorne factory with all these stages sitting there!

I have a 3-day weekend ahead of me, and I'm thinking of making a Gemini-Titan II or other historic vehicle.

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1925
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #8 on: 03/17/2017 02:45 am »
Nice work!  Any plans for flying models?

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #9 on: 03/17/2017 02:50 am »
Thanks! The thought occasionally crosses my mind, but I won't fly any of these, they take too long to make to have to rebuild after each flight. I will get into model rocketry eventually, using PVC pipes and cardboard, nothing fancy and delicate.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #10 on: 03/17/2017 05:30 pm »
I'm making a Titan II/GLV next, but first, a Mercury Atlas!

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #11 on: 03/20/2017 11:35 pm »
The Atlas is coming along well (Almost done), I'll post pics of it finished soon.
I'll be taking a break after the Atlas, so don't expect the Titan II/GLV until April or May.

If you want to try making these models yourselves, here are some good sites I've used:
http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ Very high quality, well put-together instructions (I got the Atlas Vs, Antares, the capsules, the Falcons, SLS and Ares 1X from here)
http://www.ariespapermodels.nl/ Haven't used this site yet, but it looks good
http://www.nielspapermodels.com/links.htm Here's where I got the Mercury-Atlas from, and there are a lot of other old rockets.
http://papermodelingman.com/gallery_models.html I got the Saturn V from here and plan to get the Titan II from here as well. It seems as though the site hasn't been updated in a while, but there are still a lot of good models here.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2017 11:35 pm by IanThePineapple »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1537
  • Likes Given: 1741
« Reply #12 on: 03/21/2017 02:33 am »
Up next, the steel models, Shuttle Atlantis, and the rover Opportunity/Spirit (I refer to it as Spirit, homage to the now-dead rover.) ... I purchased these as kits from Barnes & Noble's games section. They come as sheets of steel with laser-cut designs printed in them, you pop them out, fold them as needed, and bend locking tabs into place (No welding or gluing, only pliers needed)

I've got one of those MER rovers on my shelf!  My god, what a pain.  It took me like a week to complete.  Here's the kit.

« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 02:36 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #13 on: 03/23/2017 09:57 pm »
Up next, the steel models, Shuttle Atlantis, and the rover Opportunity/Spirit (I refer to it as Spirit, homage to the now-dead rover.) ... I purchased these as kits from Barnes & Noble's games section. They come as sheets of steel with laser-cut designs printed in them, you pop them out, fold them as needed, and bend locking tabs into place (No welding or gluing, only pliers needed)

I've got one of those MER rovers on my shelf!  My god, what a pain.  It took me like a week to complete.  Here's the kit.

That model took me about 2-3 hours to build, no joke.

I mgiht havea bit ofa gift in spacecraft modelling.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #14 on: 03/26/2017 03:37 am »
I'll get Atlas pics up sometime soon when I remember, but now I'm thinking about making a Delta III....

P.S. Feel free to post YOUR models on here, I LOVE to see what others make!
« Last Edit: 03/26/2017 03:37 am by IanThePineapple »

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #15 on: 03/26/2017 08:33 pm »
I have pictures of the Atlas to share, along with the now-finished Sojourner rover and the current configuration of the Rocket-Shelf. (NOTE: The Atlas is not to scale with ANY of the models. If it were to scale it would be about as tall as the first stage of itself.

I printed out a Titan-II, and will be working on that slowly throughout the coming week.

For some reason these pictures like appearing upside-down. I truly apologize for that.

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1925
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #16 on: 03/29/2017 02:28 pm »
P.S. Feel free to post YOUR models on here, I LOVE to see what others make!

OK.  Using AXM PaperSpace's models all scaled up/down to 1:88 I built a flying Falcon 9 with deployable legs and a Dragon 2 to fly on top or on its own as the "pad-abort" model.

F9 legs were made with carbon fiber struts wrapped in cardstock from the AXM prints.  The Dragon 2 is double walled cardstock with a balsa wood nose that was turned on a drill press "lathe", the heatshield was built of plywood and can be removed with the intent of nestling a camera in there.

F9 reached 215m on an Estes E-9 and leg deployment works at apogee but still have some tricks to try in regards to stability on descent with the chutes.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #17 on: 04/02/2017 12:54 am »
That's a really cool model! I'm waiting until AXM releases the flight-config Dragon 2 for my Falcons.

I really want to fly one now...
« Last Edit: 04/02/2017 02:44 am by IanThePineapple »

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #18 on: 04/02/2017 12:59 am »
The Titan II is slowly coming along, the Gemini capsule is almost complete. The fuselages are done (the glue is currently drying actually), and the engines are done. I need to finish the engine mounting points and then I'll be ready for final assembly. It will probably be done by the end of this week

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #19 on: 04/04/2017 01:40 am »
I'm now throwing around the idea of starting a multi-week project, making a paper Shuttle, and retiring my LEGO model.

The only question is: Which orbiter?

I'm thinking Discovery (my favorite  ;D)
« Last Edit: 04/04/2017 01:41 am by IanThePineapple »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography