Author Topic: retire shuttles on orbit  (Read 1502 times)

Offline infocat13

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
retire shuttles on orbit
« on: 10/13/2006 03:32 am »
Years ago I had fun over in google groups with the idea that at the end of there lives at least one of the shuttles with the cargoe bay filled with spacehab modules and a docking module(the russian Mir docking module) would make a one way trip to the ISS.iss now has the cabability to run electrical power over to a orbiter.power down things not needed on the orbiter just keep the cargoe bay space powerd up and enough enviromental to use the flight deck as living space(iss would provide this ? )

items that where brought up at the time was where to dock shuttle permanantly and the shuttles mass VS the stations

The second orbiter would be launched into the 28 degree orbit and with spacehab and a docking mechanism would become a human tended space station with the assistance of an ATV perhaps(for power)
I am a member of the side mount amazing people universe however I can get excited over the EELV exploration architecture amazing people universe.Anything else is budgetary hog wash
flexible path/HERRO

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: retire shuttles on orbit
« Reply #1 on: 10/13/2006 11:27 am »
This has been discussed on another thread  "retirement".  The shuttles can't stay on orbit very long.  MMOD is a real threat, as demonstrated by the last mission.  The additional habitable volume is negligible.  While docked to the ISS, the orbiter would block other vehicles.  The additional mass of the orbiter would affect the attitude control of the station and also change the center of mass of the station, affecting the microgravity environment.  Also the orbiter would run out of attitude control propellant.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography