Author Topic: Built a calculator for laypersons to compare Saturn V to modern rockets  (Read 3633 times)

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 774
  • Likes Given: 468
There have been tons and tons of articles written about "Why can't we rebuild the Saturn V" and so forth. I eventually decided to set up a spreadsheet that allows people to play rocket lego with modern engines, etc., to see what it takes to duplicate the Saturn V's performance.

I went through a few iterations and worked out a lot of the kinks. It seems to work quite well, giving accurate payload figures for the Saturn V as well as the Atlas V. I haven't yet added on the capability to give first-stage SRBs but that is coming next.

If anyone would like to play around with it and see if there are any obvious problems, let me know! Also, if anyone would be able to turn this into a web app, that could be really useful.

Here's the Google spreadsheet. You can either play around with it as-is (anon users can only edit the independent variables) or download/copy and go from there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UNuPfjZE-YVIrmLINiUMcOzJk-voZ2TqM6R7MgyaM-I/edit?usp=sharing

The first three tabs are all separate "sandbox" sheets so you can feel free to play around with them, even if there are multiple people in the spreadsheet. You can start by putting the Saturn V engines onto stages that use modern construction, or putting modern engines on the original Saturn V stages, etc.
« Last Edit: 04/29/2020 06:38 pm by sevenperforce »

Offline Aeneas

• Germany
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 105
Which tool did you use to test the delta-v losses?

Offline Aeneas

• Germany
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 105
There have been tons and tons of articles written about "Why can't we rebuild the Saturn V" and so forth. I eventually decided to set up a spreadsheet that allows people to play rocket lego with modern engines, etc., to see what it takes to duplicate the Saturn V's performance.

I went through a few iterations and worked out a lot of the kinks. It seems to work quite well, giving accurate payload figures for the Saturn V as well as the Atlas V. I haven't yet added on the capability to give first-stage SRBs but that is coming next.

If anyone would like to play around with it and see if there are any obvious problems, let me know! Also, if anyone would be able to turn this into a web app, that could be really useful.

Here's the Google spreadsheet. You can either play around with it as-is (anon users can only edit the independent variables) or download/copy and go from there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UNuPfjZE-YVIrmLINiUMcOzJk-voZ2TqM6R7MgyaM-I/edit?usp=sharing

The first three tabs are all separate "sandbox" sheets so you can feel free to play around with them, even if there are multiple people in the spreadsheet. You can start by putting the Saturn V engines onto stages that use modern construction, or putting modern engines on the original Saturn V stages, etc.

drag loss doesn't seem to be right. Saturn V looses about 45 - 50 m/s to air drag. Gravity drag ~ 1,700 m/s. So probably you should reduce stage mass by the propellant burned before launch (~40 tons).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography