Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : USA 328-331 / Globalstar FM15 : SLC-40 : 19 June 2022 (04:27 UTC)  (Read 78662 times)

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
  • Liked: 2685
  • Likes Given: 2725
L-3 weather forecast.  70% 'Go' for both June 19 and June 20.  Booster Recovery Weather risk is Low-Moderate for June 19.  All other Additional Risk Criteria are Low.

Isn't it unusual that it's a few days away from launch and we still don't know the name of the primary payload? Even Zuma was leaked a month ahead. Either SpaceX really up the game in terms of infosec, or people just don't care anymore (oh well it's another launch of the week...)

Maybe because Globalstar sat is finally the only payload. It seems the US gov payload is based on nothing real, just speculation based on the fact there was no other information available.
then why an asds recovery??

Offline Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 149
Isn't it unusual that it's a few days away from launch and we still don't know the name of the primary payload? Even Zuma was leaked a month ahead. Either SpaceX really up the game in terms of infosec, or people just don't care anymore (oh well it's another launch of the week...)

Maybe because Globalstar sat is finally the only payload. It seems the US gov payload is based on nothing real, just speculation based on the fact there was no other information available.

I know this, and I don't know why the ASDS... but this is only known facts, and as far as we know US Gov payload isn't a fact for the moment.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4986
  • Likes Given: 45057
Ben Cooper's Launch Photography Viewing Guide, updated June 16, clarifies the launch time to 04:27 UTC.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Offline PreferToLurk

• Liked: 381
  • Likes Given: 165

I know this, and I don't know why the ASDS... but this is only known facts, and as far as we know US Gov payload isn't a fact for the moment.
ASDS is a very important known fact.  SpaceX is not going to spend the cash to send out the ASDS if it is not needed. If it was only Globalstar, that F9 would be landing back at the cape. Maybe it's not a US gov payload, but something is on this mission that is adding mass which has not been disclosed.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3678
  • Likes Given: 220

ASDS is a very important known fact.  SpaceX is not going to spend the cash to send out the ASDS if it is not needed. If it was only Globalstar, that F9 would be landing back at the cape. Maybe it's not a US gov payload, but something is on this mission that is adding mass which has not been disclosed.
Could it only be disclosed after launch. Has this happened before with a national security launch?

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2559
  • Likes Given: 3259

I don't expect a camera view of the payload or fairing separation.  They'll say it's by customer request, but we'll be seeing a mostly Stage 1 centric flight.  (That's my 2 cent prediction)
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

that might be the case

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4986
  • Likes Given: 45057
We should be able to deduce more when the NOTAMs and/or NOTMARs are published.

The amateur astronomer satellite watchers, both optical and radio, will provide their observations and analysis as well.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2367
  • Likes Given: 1802
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Offline LH2NHI

• Japan
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0

The lightness of Globalstar-FM15 and the need to use ASDS suggest that a private payload has been added.
If the private mission is not a military mission, could it be a SpaceX internal mission?

For example, Starship's TPS experiment re-entry vehicle
or the larger Starlink V2 Mass / Electrical Simulator
or Starlink V2 dispenser prototype
 and so on.

Is it possible to exclude this possibility from the presence or absence of FCC application?
If they are only using second-stage telemetry for such tests, is it impossible to make a distinction in the FCC application?

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1321
  • Likes Given: 1146
It could be some kind of feint against the usual suspects by the spooks with this launch. Put a disguised stripped down satellite propulsion bus with attitude control and communication systems on the upper stage as a fake NRO surveillance satellite. It is just pocket change for the spooks to pay SpaceX to send an ASDS barge out on a decoy mission.

This nutty theory could explain all the abnormalities for this launch. Especially if SpaceX don't stream visuals of the payload on top of the upper stage for this launch.  :)

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1176
  • Likes Given: 99
LHA map for #Globalstar FM15 from CCSFS SLC-40 NET 19 Jun 04:27 UTC, alternatively 20 to 25 Jun based on issued NOTMAR/NOTAMs. B1061.9 planned landing and roughly estimated fairing recovery approx. 655km downrange. Stage2 debris reentry in Pacific Ocean. http://bit.do/LHA18

https://twitter.com/Raul74Cz/status/1538182168475799553

Online Rondaz

• Liked: 5143
  • Likes Given: 166
And that's the whole weird thing about this launch. ASDS landing, but a single Globalstar satellite only weighs 700kg. Another secret satellite has to be on board.

https://twitter.com/GewoonLukas_/status/1538182757544873986

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 76
Are TLEs released for this and/or SARah-1 launch?
Will that tell us how many satellites?

(presumably doesn't tell us if there is something that stays attached to the Globalstar sat.)

Offline kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1398
  • Likes Given: 3481
Even the 45th Weather Squadron is acting mysteriously.  They still haven't released a forecast since Thursday's L-3 report (70% GO / Low-Moderate booster recovery weather risk), despite it saying the next forecast would be released on Friday.

Offline RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6724
  • Likes Given: 1606
Mission patch and timeline.

3 (?!?!?) second stage burns
"The Starship has landed"

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 2367
  • Likes Given: 1802
SpaceX livestream
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
https://twitter.com/conexionspacial

Online JayWee

• Liked: 763
  • Likes Given: 1299
3 (?!?!?) second stage burns
How well does the launch azimuth match the target orbit?
Couldn't the ASDS landing be the result of a severe dogleg akin to IXPE? (325kg, but 653 km downrange ASDS)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 55553
  • Likes Given: 25092
Photos from SpaceX website

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement