Author Topic: XCOR and the Lynx rocket  (Read 610701 times)

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
Re: XCOR and the Lynx rocket
« Reply #100 on: 06/14/2011 01:17 pm »

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: 06/14/2011 05:29 pm »

Offline mlorrey

• International Spaceflight Museum
  • Grantham, NH
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #102 on: 06/14/2011 07:45 pm »

RC model of a Long EZ propelled by a pulse jet.... saw this vid and thought EZ-Rocket fans would be interested.
VP of International Spaceflight Museum - http://ismuseum.org
Founder, Lorrey Aerospace, B&T Holdings, ACE Exchange, and Hypersonic Systems. Currently I am a venture recruiter for Family Office Venture Capital.

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 3463
« Reply #103 on: 06/17/2011 03:16 pm »
I wonder if Victoria’s Secret model Doutzen Kroes is going to start a new fashion in women's space wear?

I'll keep my fingers crossed!  Ideally demonstrating a new "anti-grav" Victoria Secret line. 
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #104 on: 06/20/2011 04:22 pm »
RC model of a Long EZ propelled by a pulse jet.... saw this vid and thought EZ-Rocket fans would be interested.

That's awesome. I talked to Rick Searfoss at the recent SpaceFest III in Tucson, and he was rather dim on the prospects for Rocket Racing even as a sport. He said the management of Rocket Racing League had changed over to someone pointedly uninspiring, and he didn't think the business model would be sustainable, even with fully developed vehicles. (And video games obviously wouldn't fund it to much degree.)

He said XCOR has designs for a two stage orbital rocket. (I'll go ahead and assume liquid fuel.) He seemed to share my intrigue that Virgin Galactic is perfecting their cart without yet having a perfect horse (all substantive questions retired).

I checked with him on the propriety of the analogy that the Lynx is like a model T in ubiquity, footprint, turnaround, modularity, low(er) overhead, lesser infrastructure, all in respect to the most similar competitor SS2. He said he'd never thought of it that way before and would pass it on to Greason.  :-\

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • South Africa
  • Liked: 949
  • Likes Given: 2056
« Reply #105 on: 06/22/2011 10:13 am »
Awesome TED talk by Jeff:

Sad. I was never alive when Apollo went to the moon. We're losing shuttle, but gaining at least 3 space planes (Lynx, SS2, Dreamchaser)... heh, maybe even Skylon.

With reference to his Challenger story, I remember reading about the first Columbia flight when I was, I don't know, eight? National Geo had mentioned that some of the tiles had come off. Even then I worried about that - it was only a matter of time.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2011 10:15 am by Lampyridae »

Offline Robert Thompson

« Reply #106 on: 07/03/2011 10:33 pm »

Background, business plan, choice of wings, ideas for two-stage (winged?) orbital vehicle. (4/11)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #107 on: 07/05/2011 03:24 pm »
http://twitter.com/#!/RyInSpace/statuses/86822719324295168
RyInSpace: SwRI has contracted 2 providers (XCOR & @Virgin_Galactic) for 8 seats, which are going up to 17! @AlanStern 3 experiments designed & ready.

Cool!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Robert Thompson

« Reply #108 on: 07/13/2011 04:54 am »
Planetary Science Institute Selects XCOR to Fly Atsa Suborbital Observatory (July 12 2011)
http://www.xcor.com/press-releases/2011/11-07-12_Planetary_Science_Institute_selects_XCOR_for_Atsa.html

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #109 on: 07/13/2011 02:34 pm »

:o
« Last Edit: 08/16/2011 03:17 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline SpacemanInSPACE

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #110 on: 07/16/2011 05:00 am »
Out of all the spacecrafts being developed in the near term, I must say that I find the Lynx to be the most beautiful of them all.
Space is worth it God Damnit!

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #111 on: 07/16/2011 05:35 am »
Planetary Science Institute Selects XCOR to Fly Atsa Suborbital Observatory (July 12 2011)
http://www.xcor.com/press-releases/2011/11-07-12_Planetary_Science_Institute_selects_XCOR_for_Atsa.html

Has this Institute actually flown similar instruments in the past?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #112 on: 07/16/2011 05:54 am »
PSI is currently managing Dawn's Gamma-Ray and Neutron Detector. Does that count?
DM

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #113 on: 07/19/2011 01:30 am »

Now we only need to put a Gatling gun... Or a laser...
« Last Edit: 08/16/2011 03:18 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #114 on: 08/15/2011 01:12 pm »
http://xcor.com/press-releases/2011/11-08-12_NASA_selects_XCOR_for_suborbital_contract.html

"August 12, 2011, Mojave, CA:  NASA has selected XCOR Aerospace to provide suborbital flight and payload integration services for research and scientific missions in a program that will offer up to $10 million dollars in contracts to match payload customers with flight vehicle services. The awards were announced by NASA’s Flight Opportunities Program, a part of NASA’s Office of the Chief Technologist at NASA Headquarters in Washington, DC that is managed at Dryden Flight Research Center in Edwards, California.

“Through this award, NASA has recognized XCOR's Lynx suborbital vehicle as a useful payload platform that will benefit both NASA's R&D needs and the private research, scientific, and educational communities,” said Jeff Greason, XCOR CEO.  “By encouraging and incentivizing frequent, low cost access to space, NASA is helping to ensure America's future as a leader in space.”

XCOR’s suborbital reusable launch vehicle, Lynx, is capable of up to four flights per day using advanced rapid call-up and turnaround operations. The Lynx will provide three to four minutes of microgravity as well as, if desired, exposure to the harsh environment of space. This will provide opportunities to investigate the largely unexplored regions of our upper atmosphere. 

XCOR has partnered with four leading payload integration providers in the US to give NASA and the research community a first-rate experience for the Program’s missions. The Planetary Science Institute (PSI) of Arizona, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) in Texas, NanoRacks LLC of Houston, TX, and Spaceflight Services of Washington will provide payload processing and related support services based on their multiple areas of expertise.  These independent payload service providers specialize in atmospheric science, physics, microgravity research, planetary science, Earth observation, and life sciences, and other areas.  XCOR’s partners are among the premier organizations in specialized suborbital and orbital commercial payload development and integration.  PSI recently announced their Atsa Suborbital Observatory, a versatile facility that will maintain cameras and telescopes to conduct astronomical observations or remote sensing of the Earth, will fly on Lynx. SwRI is the pioneering national research institute that will be the first Lynx launch customer for broad based suborbital payload integration and research. NanoRacks and Space Flight Services are national leaders in orbital payload integration and science experimentation, with NanoRacks already providing research platforms on the International Space Station and SpaceFlight Services offering stand alone on-orbit research and transport of experiments to the ISS in the SpaceX Dragon capsule. "

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Last Edit: 08/25/2011 01:09 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #116 on: 08/25/2011 12:58 am »
Lynx vid explains why they didn't go down the road to Firestar for a non-toxic RCS fuel (NOFBX) - they're specifically avoiding nitrous oxide.
DM

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #117 on: 08/25/2011 01:18 am »

Now we only need to put a Gatling gun... Or a laser...
Nah... think big... Photon Torpedo! :D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 3463
« Reply #118 on: 08/26/2011 03:43 am »
Lynx vid explains why they didn't go down the road to Firestar for a non-toxic RCS fuel (NOFBX) - they're specifically avoiding nitrous oxide.

"For safety reasons"
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #119 on: 08/26/2011 04:34 am »

"For safety reasons"
Considering that rocket engines are at least as good at blowing up as they are at transporting you to space, it's safe to say this field has a strong evolutionary preference for folks with a bias towards being a little extra careful.

Reminds me of a quote about the early airplane pioneers:

"At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation" (Igor Sikorsky)
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography