Author Topic: "Hundreds and Hundreds" of Rockets Found  (Read 1156 times)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3491
  • Likes Given: 702
"Hundreds and Hundreds" of Rockets Found
« on: 08/19/2016 11:45 PM »
"We've found hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of U.S. Air Force rockets that they were testing from 1948 forwards, and also shrimp boats, airplane engines, airplanes, " Pritchett said.
http://www.space.com/33805-colonial-age-shipwrecks-found-off-florida-coast.html

I would *love* to see some of Prichett's photos.  His descriptions of large intact fuselage sections, some sticking straight up out of the sea bed, are tantalizing.

- Ed Kyle

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1006
  • Likes Given: 559
Re: "Hundreds and Hundreds" of Rockets Found
« Reply #1 on: 08/20/2016 12:04 AM »
"We've found hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of U.S. Air Force rockets that they were testing from 1948 forwards, and also shrimp boats, airplane engines, airplanes, " Pritchett said.
http://www.space.com/33805-colonial-age-shipwrecks-found-off-florida-coast.html

I would *love* to see some of Prichett's photos.  His descriptions of large intact fuselage sections, some sticking straight up out of the sea bed, are tantalizing.

- Ed Kyle
I have a yacht and you have rocket information such as launch azimuth and heading so we could go searching.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3491
  • Likes Given: 702
Re: "Hundreds and Hundreds" of Rockets Found
« Reply #2 on: 08/20/2016 02:03 PM »
My guess is, since these guys were likely searching within a few miles of the Florida coast, that the rocket debris mostly consists of failed rocket remains (plenty of those from the early days), of strap-on solid rocket booster casings, and of Polaris/Poseidon/Trident and Pershing and Minuteman first stage motors.  It may surprise people to learn that the majority of launches from the Cape and Atlantic Missile Range over the years have been for the U.S. Navy (Polaris, etc.)!

Personally, I would love to see some bits of early Bumper, Redstone, Navaho, Viking/Vanguard, and Jupiter.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 08/20/2016 02:14 PM by edkyle99 »

Tags: