Author Topic: 15th anniversary of Mir Space Station's de-orbit  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

On March 23, 2001 at around 6 am GMT, the world's first multi-module space station ended its 15 year history and went down into the Pacific Ocean. While many close calls did happen on board, it was THE gem of Russian spaceflight in the dark ages of the 1990s and the 28 expeditions to the station paved the foundation to operating an outpost in space and gathered vital experiences to the effects of long term duration stays in space.

I was 7 years old at that time and was visiting Japan when this happened. Due to it being the last major landfall that Mir would have crossed, there was quite a bit of news coverage there IIRC. I think I knew about the ISS by then.....  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: 15th anniversary of Mir Space Station's de-orbit
« Reply #1 on: 03/23/2016 12:55 pm »
This was interesting.

Much thanks!

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8824
  • Likes Given: 7835
« Reply #2 on: 03/23/2016 05:53 pm »
Mir Space Station Re-Entry And Burnup Over The Pacific Ocean

Published on Jul 27, 2013
This is footage of the forced re-entry and burn up of the Mir space station over the Pacific Ocean

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
« Reply #3 on: 03/24/2016 03:49 am »
If I remember correctly there was a panel onboard that all the visitors had signed, the plan was to retrieve it on another mission but it never happened, and the panel was lost with the deorbit. Shame if the story is true.
« Last Edit: 03/24/2016 04:34 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #4 on: 03/30/2016 10:54 am »
So sad they couldn't bump it up into a long-lasting orbit. Would have been an amazing relic to have orbiting the Earth.

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
« Reply #5 on: 03/30/2016 03:42 pm »
 I heard or read somewhere that the cosmonauts had an amazing cassette collection on the Mir. 8)
A great program which, IMHO will loom larger in history than maybe it does now. For years my screen-saver was a shot of Mir floating in the distance above a beautiful Earth-view; but I recently switched to that Apollo 8 picture of the Earth coming up over the Moon's horizon, with the great "politician" quote from Edgar Mitchell! I would love to see the administration call up Putin and say "Let's get the moon base back on the agenda again"; but somehow I doubt it will happen. :(

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #6 on: 03/30/2016 04:07 pm »
Mir is a remarkable program. An outgrowth of the civilian side of the Salyut program. And now Mir II lives on as the Russian side of the ISS.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography