Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Starlink Group 4-4 : VSFB SLC-4E : 18 December 2021 (12:41 UTC)  (Read 82935 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
Per these NGA notices, the marine hazard warnings are canceled, so the launch is postponed indefinitely.

Indefinitely meaning we don't know when it's rescheduled to, not necessarily a long time.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5054
  • Likes Given: 5463
Re: SpaceX F9 : Starlink Group 2-2 : VSFB SLC-4E : October 2021
« Reply #21 on: 10/14/2021 11:24 pm »
Per these NGA notices, the marine hazard warnings are canceled, so the launch is postponed indefinitely.

Indefinitely meaning we don't know when it's rescheduled to, not necessarily a long time.

That's correct.  They could conceivably change their minds and go ahead with the launch as originally planned (with new notices issued of course).

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1577
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 10/14/2021 11:31 pm »
Not likely.  OCISLY is heading back to the house.

Offline Vultur

• Liked: 762
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #23 on: 10/15/2021 07:00 am »
Has that happened for previous Starlink missions (sudden droneship turn-around)?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #24 on: 10/15/2021 07:07 am »
Has that happened for previous Starlink missions (sudden droneship turn-around)?
I do not know about Starlink but several missions have previously seen a sudden delay resulting in ASDS accelerated return to port. OCISLY  can only be at sea during certain force sea state conditions and has a lower maximum loitering time due to onboard fuel reserves.

Offline attathomeguy

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 5
Sorry work has been super busy this week but I am hearing the issue is not with the rocket. I do not have anymore information than that.

Offline cwr

Sorry work has been super busy this week but I am hearing the issue is not with the rocket. I do not have anymore information than that.

I see that the thread subject has changed from Starlink Group 2-2 to Starlink Group 2-3.
The same change has been made in the SpaceX Manifest Updates thread, but I don't see
a post that explains the change.
Nor can I find a post explaining the change, I've never been very successful with the NSF search
tool.

Can anybody shed light on this or is it a typo of some form?

Thanks

Carl

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
I see that the thread subject has changed from Starlink Group 2-2 to Starlink Group 2-3.
The same change has been made in the SpaceX Manifest Updates thread, but I don't see

2-2 was a guess on my part.  Apparently it's actually 2-3.  As for why it's 2-3, I'm really not sure, but it's not the first time I've been confused by SpaceX numbering.

Offline cwr

2-2 was a guess on my part.  Apparently it's actually 2-3.  As for why it's 2-3, I'm really not sure, but it's not the first time I've been confused by SpaceX numbering.

Thanks for the explanation.
Did we get this from SpaceX?
I've not seen any mention in L2.
Group 2-3 seems strange given it's the 2nd polar launch from VSFB for Starlink.
It almost seems like the mission numbers in the license applications.

Thanks

Carl

Offline Josh_from_Canada

• Saskatchewan Canada
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 182
Could 2-2 be the next Starlink launch from the Cape?
Launches Seen: Atlas V OA-7, Falcon 9 Starlink 6-4, Falcon 9 CRS-28,

The FCC file that was submitted a while ago said 2-3

[See up-thread: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=54823.msg2292422#msg2292422]

zubenelgenubi: edit
« Last Edit: 10/17/2021 07:31 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5908
  • Likes Given: 945
I can confirm this is Group 2-3 as gongora pointed out. 2-2 is flying from Florida

Spaceflight Now reports "Starlink launches from Florida’s Space Coast are expected to resume as soon as October".

What I'd like to know:

1. Will it be called Starlink 2-2, Starlink 3-1 or something else?
2. Will it be launching to 53.2° or 97.6° inclination?

Is it possible for Florida Starlink launches to the 70 deg inclination?  Launch last night was 2-1, and next FCC filing for SLC-4E states mission 2-3 (https://fcc.report/ELS/Space-Exploration-Technologies-Corp-SpaceX/1423-EX-ST-2021), skipping 2-2.  Could they alternate launches from both coasts and complete the 70 deg shell faster?  Logistically in space it makes sense for sats to be raising at the same inclination, no?

cross post of the fcc report stating 2-3.  If 2-2 is going to launch from Florida, the designation doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the same inclination, right?  My gut says that SpaceX doesn't want to pussyfoot and will try to fill each shell as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Offline Alvian@IDN

My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
Re: transoceanic support ship swap:
This could be the reason?
Unscheduled major maintenance or repair on Adele Elise, the need for which was discovered after OCISLY set sail?

When did GO Quest leave Florida?

Why would Adele Elise leave for Louisiana?  Why not perform hypothetical repairs in Long Beach? It's a major harbor.
« Last Edit: 10/20/2021 11:45 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
It appears GO Quest is just replacing the other ship, period.  The other ship leaving already does seem to suggest there isn't a launch imminent.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Problem with Starlinks?

Problem with Ground Support Equipment (GSE)?

Not enough information to draw a conclusion.

Quote from: Gav Cornwell tweet
OCISLY has turned around and appears to be heading back home to the Port of Long Beach. The droneship departed yesterday [October 13] for the upcoming Starlink mission out of Vandenberg.

The current West Coast support ship Adele Elise has set a destination for Louisiana, paving the way for OG former East Coast ship GO Quest to become the new support vessel in California. GO Quest crossed through the Panama Canal yesterday [October 19]...

Perhaps the ship swap was previously scheduled after the conclusion of recovery, predicated on an October 17 launch?
It appears GO Quest is just replacing the other ship, period.  The other ship leaving already does seem to suggest there isn't a launch imminent.
« Last Edit: 10/21/2021 01:14 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Follow up:
GO Quest has a loooong way to go to reach its new home in Los Angeles. Should arrive around November 2nd. Don't expect that postponed Starlink launch to happen anytime soon. [October 22]

Assuming GO Quest must dock in Long Beach before embarking on a recovery mission, this launch is now NET November.

DART launch scheduled for November 24 UTC. This is an interplanetary launch window and takes priority.

If SpaceX is only mobilizing Vandenberg staffing to support one launch campaign at a time, etc., then this launch could be NET December.
« Last Edit: 10/27/2021 09:31 am by zubenelgenubi »

Next Spaceflight now has NET ETA of December
https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/details/6798
« Last Edit: 11/14/2021 09:13 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post from the manifest discussion thread. Apparently this launch could be performed after SLC-4E is turned around from the DART launch = NET December.
Congratulations SpaceX on what appears to be a flawless flight and a return of east coast Starlink flights. 

The rest of the 2021 Manifest looks like it could finish strong. Hopefully there can be 1 or two more Starlink flights before 12/31

<snip> Been meaning to do this for awhile but per Elon's tweet that SpaceX plans to launch 80t in Q4, that will definitely require at least a few more Starlink launches. Based on him saying that SpaceX launched 41t in Q3, I'll ballpark that as 13t for Inspiration4, 14t for CRS-23, and 14t for Starlink 2-1.

In Q4, we have two launches behind us and five more confirmed missions on the manifest:
Crew-3 (13t)
Starlink 4-1 (15t)
DART (0.7t)
IXPE (0.4t)
CSG-2 (2.2t)
Turksat 5B (4.5t)
CRS-24 (14t)
Altogether, that's about 50t, leaving room for two more Starlink launches to reach Elon's 80t prediction. I'd personally guess that that means one more Starlink launch from each coast before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: 11/14/2021 11:29 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography