Author Topic: H3 Development Update thread  (Read 173024 times)

Offline Fuji

• Japan
  • Liked: 234
  • Likes Given: 14
« Last Edit: 04/11/2017 08:58 pm by Fuji »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81638
  • Likes Given: 36933
Re: H3 development update thread
« Reply #81 on: 06/26/2017 03:44 pm »
MHI says H3 rocket development on track for 2020
by Caleb Henry — June 26, 2017

http://spacenews.com/mhi-says-h3-rocket-development-on-track-for-2020/

Article includes:

Ko Ogasawara, MHI’s vice president and general manager for launch, told SpaceNews the critical design review, or CDR, for the H3 is scheduled for this autumn and will give an indication of how effective the company has been at reducing costs.

Offline cheesybagel

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #82 on: 07/03/2017 07:29 am »
LE-9 test engine #1 photos.
http://jda.jaxa.jp/result.php?lang=j&id=06dff376756d0df623d702256a0be7a2

So does this use tube-wall or channel-wall regen nozzle cooling?
The pumps, etc, look a lot more elegant and simpler than most first stage engines. An advantage of the expander cycle I guess. I wonder how many restarts this engine can do in theory? Or how deep it can throttle.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2017 08:05 am by cheesybagel »

Offline zhangmdev

• Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #83 on: 07/05/2017 11:31 am »
Close view shows channel-wall nozzle (with reinforced ribs?)

Offline Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #84 on: 07/12/2017 09:41 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what are some visual things that give away that a nozzle/bell is channel-wall? (Sorry if this would drift off-topic)
« Last Edit: 07/12/2017 09:41 pm by Prettz »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #85 on: 07/12/2017 11:28 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what are some visual things that give away that a nozzle/bell is channel-wall? (Sorry if this would drift off-topic)

Some engines (like the F-1, SSME, and M1C) have cooling pipes that are painstakingly welded/attached to the inside and/or outside of the nozzle well. (see http://heroicrelics.org/info/f-1/f-1-thrust-chamber.html )

Channel wall nozzles have these pipes engraved/printed right into the nozzle wall itself, which is easier to automate and creates a flatter, simpler, and more efficient structure. Virtually all newer regeneratively cooled engines use this method.

So since the outside of the nozzle appears to have a flat surface, the assumption is that it uses channel wall cooling.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :)
« Last Edit: 07/12/2017 11:34 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #86 on: 07/13/2017 01:24 am »
So since the outside of the nozzle appears to have a flat surface, the assumption is that it uses channel wall cooling.
Well that really wasn't the response I was expecting. I obviously meant visual cues besides "it's not a tube-wall".

Offline zhangmdev

« Reply #87 on: 07/13/2017 12:02 pm »
I was lazy. Assuming there are no tubes, so it must be channel walled.

Found "Visualization and Optimization of LE-X Engine System Margin", the nozzle extension (or nozzle skirt) is cooled by turbine outlet gas. Seems the gas is just dumped into the nozzle extension. There is no regenerative cooling channel.

Another feature is elongated combustion chamber. For some reason, the combustion chamber is called upper chamber. The nozzle is called lower chamber.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #88 on: 07/13/2017 12:16 pm »
That LE9 is just a beautiful engine - stunning piece of hardware!!
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline zhangmdev

« Reply #89 on: 07/15/2017 12:27 pm »
According to "Combustion Stability Improvement of LE-9 Engine for Booster Stage of H3 Launch Vehicle" from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Technical Review Vol. 53 No. 4 (December 2016)

...hydrogen with its pressure decreased when driving the turbo pump enters into the nozzle, and flows along the adjacent of the wall surface while cooling it (film cooling).

There is a diagram noting "Flowing along nozzle internal wall (film cooling)".

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #90 on: 07/15/2017 11:23 pm »
There is a discussion thread so use it people: H3 Development Discussion Thread (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37263.0).
« Last Edit: 07/18/2017 04:24 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: 08/11/2017 04:09 pm »
Translate yourself:
使いやすいロケットを目指して~LE-9ターボポンプ単体試験~
JAXA | 宇宙航空研究開発機構
JAXA角田宇宙センターでは、LE-9エンジンに使われるターボポンプの単体試験が行われています。
ターボポンプはエンジンに燃料(液体水素)と酸化剤(液体酸素)を供給する重要な構成品です。
この試験ではターボポンプに実際に燃料と酸化剤を流して設計通りの機能・性能を発揮できたか確認しています。
ターボポンプはLE-9エンジンに取り付けられてエンジン燃焼試験が開始されました。

▽ ロケットナビゲーター(第一宇宙技術部門)
http://www.rocket.jaxa.jp/

次世代大型ロケット「H3」新型エンジン「LE-9」燃焼試験(実機型#1-1)
JAXA | 宇宙航空研究開発機構
JAXAが開発を進める次世代大型ロケット、「H3」の第1段エンジン「LE-9」の燃焼試験が種子島宇宙センターで始まっています。「LE-9」にはJAXAが10年以上にわたり研究に取り組んできたエキスパンダブリードサイクルを採用。これまでのエンジンを上回るパワーと安全性の両立を目指しています。

▽ ロケットナビゲータ  | LE-9
http://www.rocket.jaxa.jp/engine/le9/

EDIT: videos were replaced with amended versions so links have been replaced.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2017 05:49 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #92 on: 08/17/2017 07:49 am »
Here is the translation.

"Aiming at easy-to-use rocket-LE-9 Turbo pump Unit Test
JAXA | Aerospace Research and Development Organization
The JAXA Tsunoda Space Center has a unit test for the turbo pump used in the LE-9 engine.
The turbo pump is an important component of supplying fuel (liquid hydrogen) and oxidizing agent (liquid oxygen) to the engine.
In this test, we have confirmed whether the turbo pump was able to demonstrate the function and performance as designed by actually shedding fuel and oxidizing agent.
The turbo pump was installed in the LE-9 engine and the engine combustion test was started.

Rocket Navigator (Cosmic Air Technology Division)
http://www.rocket.jaxa.jp/"

"Next-generation large rocket "H3" new Engine "LE-9" combustion test (actual type # 1-1)
JAXA | Aerospace Research and Development Organization
The combustion test of the first-stage engine "LE-9" of the next-generation large-scale rocket, "H3", which JAXA develops begins at Tanegashima Space Center. "LE-9" employs an expander bleed cycle that JAXA has been working on for more than ten years. We aim to balance the power and safety exceeding the previous engine.

Rocket Navigator | le-9"
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline yoichi

• Liked: 678
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #93 on: 09/08/2017 08:33 am »
JAXA New LE-9 Rocket Engine
« Last Edit: 09/11/2017 09:16 am by yoichi »

Offline ellerdrop

• Liked: 3
« Reply #94 on: 12/28/2017 03:50 pm »
MHI technial review no: 54/4 is out and its talks about H-3

http://www.mhi.com/company/technology/review/Vol.54No.4/indexe-54-4.html

edit/gongora: attached the H3 update as well as a couple other space related papers from that link
« Last Edit: 12/28/2017 04:35 pm by gongora »

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #95 on: 06/12/2018 07:30 pm »
I don't know if there's anything new here (maybe launch rate?), but this article in the Asian Nikkei Review comments on the H3;

Mitsubishi Heavy and JAXA aim to launch a prototype of the H3, the H-IIA's successor, in fiscal 2020. The goal is to slash costs to around 5 billion yen ($45.3 million) and the time from order to launch to about one year, using shared parts and components sourced from the private sector. The rocket will also be able to be fitted with different numbers of solid rocket boosters to adjust thrust capacity.

"In both price and reliability, the H3 will put up as good a fight or better" than competitors like SpaceX, said Naohiko Abe, Mitsubishi Heavy's senior vice president in charge of space systems, adding that he hoped to launch two to three satellites per year.
« Last Edit: 06/12/2018 07:40 pm by Dao Angkan »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #96 on: 07/04/2018 04:01 am »
【Re-edited version】 H3 rocket LE 9 real machine engine combustion test live relay

JAXA | Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency
Published on Jul 3, 2018

The LE-9 (Lee Nine) engine is a rocket engine that is being newly developed as a main engine of a new rocket "H3 (H3)" scheduled for the launch of the first machine in 2020. As part of this development, burning tests are continuing on April 2017 at the Tanegashima Space Center's combustion test facility. The purpose of this burning test is to obtain various data by repeating the tests with different operating conditions such as thrust and to check whether the function, performance, durability etc are as designed. This burning test is performed for about 240 seconds, using the second experimental engine. We have carried out seven tests so far and accumulated combustion results of about 1,150 seconds. The burning test at this stage is a challenge for each test to be unknown. During combustion, we monitor the operating condition of the engine, and if we get data beyond predicted, we will stop the engine safely. And we use the obtained data in the next exam. The live pattern of the burning test will be live from the Tanegashima Space Center large rocket launch site located about 550 m from the test facility. Please experience the development of the large liquid rocket engine through the image.
● Relay Date Heisei era June 25 (Monday)
● Scheduled air time 15: 45 ~ (planned)
● Please be aware of ※ This distribution will be carried out experimentally with the cooperation of Nikon Corporation is. * Depending on the progress of the examination and weather conditions, the distribution date/delivery time etc. may change or be canceled abruptly. Please note. ※ The burning time is a standard. The burning time may be shortened depending on the acquisition of technical data. ※ This test result will be posted on HP at a later date.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #97 on: 08/24/2018 09:58 pm »
SRB - 3 Ground burning test Tanegashima Lighthouse fixed point camera / Solid Rocket Booster - 3 Motor Burning Test

NVS
Started streaming 12 minutes ago (from date timestamp of this post)

We will deliver the state of the SRB - 3 ground burning test for the H - 3 rocket from the Tanegashima lighthouse by the unmanned fixed point camera. Expected to be tested (DATE): 2018/8/25 11:00 around and around 11:00 + 0900 (JST) ※ Tanegashima The lighthouse is normally restricted from entry. Please do not enter unauthorized entry. ※ For unattended delivery using mobile line, delivery may be canceled without notice.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #98 on: 08/25/2018 03:41 am »
Solid rocket booster for H3 rocket (SRB - 3) ground relay combustion test live relay

JAXA | Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency
Started streaming 2 hours ago

Solid rocket booster SRB-3 (SR B-3) of a new rocket "H3 (H3)" planned to be launched in FY 2020 for the first test machine. This time live broadcast from the Tanegashima Space Center Takezaki Observatory on site, located about 900 m from the ground burning test site, of the SRB-3 test flame test called "actual machine type motor". Please feel the development scene of the H3 rocket through the image. <Combustion Test Details> SRB-3 for test called "actual machine type motor" was ignited by placing solid fuel in the motor case which is a fuel tank, and it was confirmed whether the characteristics at the time of combustion were as intended I will. The data obtained from this test will be reflected in the design of SRB-3 for flight. The solid rocket booster is responsible for supplementing the thrust immediately after launch, and after burning for about 100 seconds, it finishes its task and is separated from the rocket. In the H3 rocket, you can replace this SRB - 3 with 0, 2, 4, so you can launch artificial satellites of various sizes. Combustion test date and time: August 25, Saturday, August 30, broadcast scheduled time: around 10:50 to 11:0510:50~11:05頃10:50~11:05頃10:50~11:05頃

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: 08/25/2018 04:12 am »
Report of scrub due to wind direction per NVS chat. Standing by to here if they will switch to the second window of the day at 1300JST. The NVS live stream will run until the camera battery shuts the camera down.
« Last Edit: 08/25/2018 04:16 am by russianhalo117 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography