Author Topic: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion  (Read 204038 times)

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion
« Reply #20 on: 12/02/2017 02:18 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Payload will be my midnight cherry Tesla Roadster playing Space Oddity. Destination is Mars orbit. Will be in deep space for a billion years or so if it doesn’t blow up on ascent.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/936782477502246912
Crazier than the wheel of cheese on the first F9.
The best reply someone posted was what's the sober Elon payload?

Seeing as how delayed Falcon Heavy is I wonder if  said Roadster is actually a rover built using hardware derived from Tesla's cars to be landed on the Moon or Mars?
They do have all the hardware needed to build a lander.
For the Moon they could use the F9 second stage as a crasher and then have a lander be based off the propulsion system off Dragon V2.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2017 02:23 am by Patchouli »

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 2963
« Reply #21 on: 12/02/2017 02:19 am »
So is S2 capable of that longevity wise, or some kind of kicker stage to get Mars orbit? Never mind the special one-off adapter, space-rating the car, wrong time of year to launch to Mars and I'm sure a plethora of other issues. As cool-factor of a launch it is, one where they don't want to risk a customer on and need to find a payload to test with. I was going to be disappointed if it was a hunk of concrete, because it would be a missed opportunity for either something "cool" or something of some value such as a test of something.

So what value does launching an electric car have over say, a hunk of 'crete. And how the eff are they getting it to Mars ORBIT.
The big implication of the Mars orbit is that it almost certainly rules out a second stage recovery attempt.

But it was already mentioned that the upper stage for this flight is some sort of 'Frankenstein' stage.  And if it is going to be going to mars orbit, then that seems to imply it would have some significant form of propulsion capable of boosting it from an eccentric earth orbit - so I wouldn't completely rule it out just yet. 

Also, assuming this isn't a joke, there would be significant value in practicing deep-space navigation to Mars in lieu of Red Dragon.

The hard part is going from solar orbit to Mars orbit - that requires a 3 to 6 month coast and then around 1 km/s worth of delta-v.

That means a spacecraft bus with power, comms, nav, and propulsion for deep space. Much more than a mass simulator.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #22 on: 12/02/2017 02:27 am »
The hard part is going from solar orbit to Mars orbit - that requires a 3 to 6 month coast and then around 1 km/s worth of delta-v.

That means a spacecraft bus with power, comms, nav, and propulsion for deep space. Much more than a mass simulator.

Well the roadster 2 does have a 200kwh battery, over the air updates and gps. Not sure about propulsion, but it hits plaid speed.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2017 02:29 am by nacnud »

Offline envy887

« Reply #23 on: 12/02/2017 02:33 am »
Trajectory from https://trajbrowser.arc.nasa.gov/example_queries.php

January 2018 is not an ideal launch date for a Mars transfer. 2 year transfer, 4.5 km/s injection.

Offline punder

• Liked: 1826
  • Likes Given: 1434
« Reply #24 on: 12/02/2017 02:35 am »
Wait a minute, does he really mean in orbit around Mars?  Or in Mars' orbit around the Sun?

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #25 on: 12/02/2017 02:36 am »
The big implication of the Mars orbit is that it almost certainly rules out a second stage recovery attempt.

I'd rather have a Mars Car than S2 recovery, to be honest.

Also, did anyone else think this will be GLORIOUS PR for Tesla?

"Fastest car ever", "First commercial car in space", "First car in Mars orbit"
Wouldn't be surprised if they film a Tesla Roadster ad in Mars orbit.

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #26 on: 12/02/2017 02:36 am »
I assume he means a mars transfer orbit that does not actually aim at mars. I highly doubt the falcon upper stage can loiter long enough to circularize. or are they going to stick a satellite bus on it?
« Last Edit: 12/02/2017 02:37 am by DanielW »

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #27 on: 12/02/2017 02:37 am »
From what he said, it's Mars orbit. I guess we'll have to wait until sober Elon wakes up and decides to do it anyway.

Offline Darkseraph

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #28 on: 12/02/2017 02:48 am »
Would prefer if it was a free return refurbished Dragon around the Moon. To practice for the tourist mission they are allegedly doing in 2018.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." R.P.Feynman

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #29 on: 12/02/2017 02:50 am »
So is S2 capable of that longevity wise, or some kind of kicker stage to get Mars orbit? Never mind the special one-off adapter, space-rating the car, wrong time of year to launch to Mars and I'm sure a plethora of other issues. As cool-factor of a launch it is, one where they don't want to risk a customer on and need to find a payload to test with. I was going to be disappointed if it was a hunk of concrete, because it would be a missed opportunity for either something "cool" or something of some value such as a test of something.

So what value does launching an electric car have over say, a hunk of 'crete. And how the eff are they getting it to Mars ORBIT.

But it was already mentioned that the upper stage for this flight is some sort of 'Frankenstein' stage.  And if it is going to be going to mars orbit, then that seems to imply it would have some significant form of propulsion capable of boosting it from an eccentric earth orbit - so I wouldn't completely rule it out just yet. 

Also, assuming this isn't a joke, there would be significant value in practicing deep-space navigation to Mars in lieu of Red Dragon.
Maybe they will use some sort of Dragon like thing to perform deep space maneuvers?

Offline colbourne

• Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #30 on: 12/02/2017 02:54 am »

I always thought the film "Heavy Metal" was a documentary.

Offline envy887

« Reply #31 on: 12/02/2017 02:55 am »
I assume he means a mars transfer orbit that does not actually aim at mars. I highly doubt the falcon upper stage can loiter long enough to circularize. or are they going to stick a satellite bus on it?

The Roadster is only 1,235 kg, which is approximately what F9 (not FH) can launch to Mars transfer with a RTLS booster landing.

That's only 7.3% of Falcon Heavy's maximum payload to Mars transfer, so I would expect something more substantial than just the car.

Offline envy887

« Reply #32 on: 12/02/2017 02:59 am »
Would prefer if it was a free return refurbished Dragon around the Moon. To practice for the tourist mission they are allegedly doing in 2018.

I'm sure Elon would too, but there are a lot of practical issues with putting Dragon in a fairing and they need to demo the fairing.

« Reply #33 on: 12/02/2017 03:03 am »
Bonus if they strap in a family of crash test dummies in the car with Go Pro's on their heads that can be controlled from Earth by school kids so they can look around.  ;D

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9098
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #34 on: 12/02/2017 03:30 am »
Eric Berger confirms it's not a joke: https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/with-bowie-playing-on-the-radio-elon-musk-plans-to-launch-his-tesla-to-mars/

Ars was able to confirm Friday night from a company source that this is definitely a legitimate payload.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #35 on: 12/02/2017 03:30 am »
Do the Tesla going past Mars!!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #36 on: 12/02/2017 03:41 am »
Guess the SX CTO wants to pre-position his Mars retirement surface ride. ;D

But seriously. How much could Musk write off as a business expense with the areocentric Roadster orbiter as ad promo for his side-business?

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #37 on: 12/02/2017 03:43 am »
Eric Berger confirms it's not a joke: https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/with-bowie-playing-on-the-radio-elon-musk-plans-to-launch-his-tesla-to-mars/

Ars was able to confirm Friday night from a company source that this is definitely a legitimate payload.

Once again Helodriver predicts the Future in regards to SpaceX. Called the use of the former shuttle carrier for moving landed F9 cores, and now, called the Tesla Roadster, from 5 years ago in a post here from September 2012.

They should use the flight to test the fairing, and with the same mindset that put the first wheel of cheese in space, under that fairing should be a Tesla roadster. The first car in space and with a reignition of the second stage, the first car in solar orbit or on an escape trajectory out of the solar system. Inside the car, cameras and a telemetry system, powered by the car's lithium ion cells, which should last while a while if low powered enough or indefinitely with solar panels on the hood, roof and rear deck lid. Imagine the marketing and PR buzz.

Elon if you want to PM me for more ideas, I'm available.  8) You don't have to lurk on my posts here.  ;D

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #38 on: 12/02/2017 03:50 am »
The Mars orbit thing makes me sceptical. He also announced on Twitter that the Tesla Semi can transform into a robot and fight aliens. It can also make an awesome Latte.

So maybe to TMI but it would also need to be reenforced to survive launch. We will see.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #39 on: 12/02/2017 03:56 am »
I'm thinking this post on Twitter from a couple weeks ago might have some new meaning now.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/932322853009080320

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography