Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-14 : April 2, 2018 - Discussion  (Read 85752 times)

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 575
  • Likes Given: 71
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 : CRS-14 : April 2, 2018 - Discussion
« Reply #40 on: 02/09/2018 07:30 pm »
What? Its going to take up its own junk? Seems like a pretty lame test, the challenge it to capture fast-moving junk in orbit, all this does is show that they can take something up and de-orbit burning in the atmosphere. This is done routinely with every launch upper stage.
One step at a time.  RemoveDEBRIS has no propulsion.  Safety issues would make it nigh-impossible to keep something with propulsion inside the ISS.

Also, there are other missions that have tested noncooperative rendezvous.  RemoveDEBRIS is mostly testing technologies for what to do after the rendezvous.

1. Net: Deploy a CubeSat and then hit it with a net at 7m distance.
2. Vision Based Navigation: Deploy another CubeSat and image it using a camera and LIDAR.
3. Harpoon: Hit a target at a range of 1.5m.
4. Dragsail: An inflatable dragsail is included on the main platform.

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/surrey-space-centre/missions/removedebris

Offline Greg Hullender

• Seattle
    • Rocket Stack Rank
  • Liked: 442
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #41 on: 02/11/2018 03:32 pm »
Wouldn't an ion engine be safe inside the ISS?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #42 on: 02/11/2018 04:21 pm »
I assume the above poster meant 'inside the safety envelope of ISS' rather than actually inside ISS.

Even something that can only achieve 1m/s can bang into stuff or get wedged in parts of ISS structure and damage things.
'proving' it's safe would be very hard indeed.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #43 on: 02/11/2018 04:42 pm »
I assume the above poster meant 'inside the safety envelope of ISS' rather than actually inside ISS.

Even something that can only achieve 1m/s can bang into stuff or get wedged in parts of ISS structure and damage things.
'proving' it's safe would be very hard indeed.

Was just about to post that plus the question of whether an ion drive even works in 1 atmosphere...  why bring it inside?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #44 on: 02/11/2018 06:03 pm »
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the comment was about someone stating that this payload was moved from a Dragon resupply flight to a Cygnus flight.  And since this would make it pressurized cargo (needing to spend at least some amount of time inside both Cygnus and ISS, which are both fully "inside" in that context) it would then have to be moved outside somehow if it is to be deployed outside.

This is based on my understanding that Cygnus does not offer unpressurized cargo, as Dragon does, and that the comment about changes to manifest was referring to the debris mitigation test system.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #45 on: 02/11/2018 09:44 pm »
The comment about a payload moving involved a 1U cubesat. Both Cygnus and Dragon bring up cubesats as pressurized cargo all the time.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #46 on: 02/12/2018 09:49 am »
One step at a time.  RemoveDEBRIS has no propulsion.  Safety issues would make it nigh-impossible to keep something with propulsion inside the ISS.

Here's what NanoRacks' Kaber Deployer payload guide(.pdf) says:

4.5.9 Propulsion System

The propulsion system will need to be assessed for hazard potential.  NanoRacks will assist in the identification of hazards.  Mechanical hazards may be related to pressure containment, flow containment, leakage, etc.  Systems may also have hazard potential if inadvertent operation of the propulsion system in or around ISS could be catastrophic or critical.  Depending on hazard potential, both mechanical and electrical fault tolerance may be required.   Systems with toxic propellant may not be allowed onboard ISS but might be approvable if outside ISS.  Propellants with explosive potential may not be approvable.  Acceptable propellant type must be coordinated with NanoRacks and documented in the ICA.

Other sections talk about the necessary inhibits for interior payloads, etc.  So, having a fueled propulsion system on your satellite while it is still inside the ISS is perfectly possible depending on design.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Chris Bergin

February 15, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-032
NASA Invites Media to Upcoming Space Station Cargo Launch

Media accreditation now is open for the launch of the next SpaceX delivery of supplies and equipment, including science investigations, to the International Space Station, currently targeted for no earlier than April.

A Dragon cargo spacecraft, previously flown on SpaceX’s eighth commercial resupply mission to the station for NASA, will launch on a Falcon 9 rocket from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS) in Florida.

Media prelaunch and launch activities will take place at CCAFS and NASA’s neighboring Kennedy Space Center. Credentialing deadlines are as follows:

International media without U.S. citizenship must apply by 4:30 p.m. EST Thursday, March 1, for access to CCAFS or 4:30 p.m. Monday, March 19, for access to Kennedy media activities only.
    U.S. media must apply by 4:30 p.m. Friday, March 23.

Highlights of space station research that will be facilitated by Dragon’s arrival are:

The Atmosphere-Space Interactions Monitor, an Earth observatory that will study severe thunderstorms and their role in the Earth’s atmosphere and climate.
    An investigation that seeks to better understand how the lack of gravity affects a process used to produce high-performance products from metal powders. This research could lead to improved manufacturing techniques.
    Continuing research on growing food in space, as the Veggie Passive Orbital Nutrient Delivery System experiment tests a new way to deliver nutrients to plants.

Among the cargo that will enable National Laboratory research, which is managed by the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space, is a platform that will enable testing of materials, coatings, and components in the harsh environment of space, and investigations into the process of antibiotic release and technology for the evaluation of drug safety and effectiveness.

This is the 14th SpaceX mission under NASA’s Commercial Resupply Services contract.

The International Space Station is a convergence of science, technology and human innovation that demonstrates new technologies and makes research breakthroughs not possible on Earth. The space station has been occupied continuously since November 2000. In that time, more than 220 people and a variety of international and commercial spacecraft have visited the orbiting laboratory. The space station remains the springboard to NASA's next great leap in exploration, including future missions to the Moon and eventually to Mars.

For launch countdown coverage, NASA's launch blog, and more information about the mission, visit:

https://www.nasa.gov/spacex
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #48 on: 02/15/2018 11:48 pm »
Among the cargo that will enable National Laboratory research, which is managed by the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space, is a platform that will enable testing of materials, coatings, and components in the harsh environment of space

Did the external payloads change, or is this something going up in the pressurized cargo?

Offline vaporcobra

Unrelated, but I'd bet that CRS-14 will be tasked with returning Robonaut to Earth for repairs. https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/space-robots/robonaut-has-been-broken-for-years-and-now-nasa-is-bringing-it-home

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
« Reply #50 on: 02/16/2018 03:03 am »
Unrelated, but I'd bet that CRS-14 will be tasked with returning Robonaut to Earth for repairs. https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/space-robots/robonaut-has-been-broken-for-years-and-now-nasa-is-bringing-it-home

ISS Daily Summary Report – 2/09/2018

Robonaut: The crew prepared and stowed Robonaut in preparation for return on SpaceX-14. Robonaut is a humanoid robot designed with the versatility and dexterity to manipulate hardware, work in high risk environments, and respond safely to unexpected obstacles. It is comprised of a torso with two arms and a head, and two legs with end effectors that enable the robot to translate inside the ISS by interfacing with handrails and seat tracks.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #51 on: 02/20/2018 02:22 pm »
https://twitter.com/ASIM_Payload/status/965952257891229697
April 2nd #CRS14 instant launch window to ISS is at 20:30 UTC, i.e. 22:30 CEST in Europe and 16:30 EDT at Kennedy Space Center.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #53 on: 02/24/2018 02:59 pm »

ISS Daily Summary Report – 2/09/2018

Robonaut: The crew prepared and stowed Robonaut in preparation for return on SpaceX-14. Robonaut is a humanoid robot designed with the versatility and dexterity to manipulate hardware, work in high risk environments, and respond safely to unexpected obstacles. It is comprised of a torso with two arms and a head, and two legs with end effectors that enable the robot to translate inside the ISS by interfacing with handrails and seat tracks.

I don't understand why they would consider sending the one off model back rather than one of the newer model quintuplets.
In either case, it sounds like a return trip would be perfect for one of the Commercial Crew Demo flights. Strap him in.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1079
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #54 on: 02/26/2018 06:44 am »

Doubt Robonaut will get a chance to ride back up on Dragon, so I guess it's goodbye...

Offline vaporcobra

Doubt Robonaut will get a chance to ride back up on Dragon, so I guess it's goodbye...

What makes you say that? Would be pretty sad to see it go to waste :(

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #56 on: 02/26/2018 11:44 pm »

Strip away the NASA PR and what exactly did it accomplish? Might have missed that but...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline IanThePineapple

Strip away the NASA PR and what exactly did it accomplish? Might have missed that but...

Yeah, I never understood the point of it. I totally forgot about it for like 2-3 years until a few days back.

Offline archae86

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #58 on: 02/26/2018 11:58 pm »
I got "inside whisper" information that it had a battery safety problem that was unlikely to get solved to NASA's satisfaction, and thus it was not likely to get used in the future.  I heard the whisper months ago, but believe the underlying information was years old at that point.  It is possible that the whisper referred to some other piece of station hardware, but I suspect it was this one.

Offline vaporcobra

Robonaut basically broke down weeks after it was launched to the ISS and has very, very infrequently undergone unsuccessful repair attempts in the years since. Just a wall decoration at this point. Not really sure why it existed in the first place, but it really never had even a slight chance to do whatever it was supposed or hope to do
« Last Edit: 02/27/2018 12:17 am by vaporcobra »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography