Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Hispasat 30W-6 (1F) : March 6, 2018 - DISCUSSION  (Read 161151 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
Has the payload left SSL in Palo Alto and been delivered to SpaceX operations at Cape Canaveral for pre-launch processing?  (I know our NSF contributors are usually very quick to report such things, if they are free to do so.)

It takes a finite amount of time to process the payloads for launch.  What is the average processing time for a geo-comm payload, from delivery to stacking on the launch vehicle?

If that process has not yet started, then perhaps the launch must be delayed into early 2018?

(The focus here on NSF is on the LV, particularly so for Falcon 9--1st stage watches, etc.)
« Last Edit: 11/11/2017 09:54 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
In the Zuma static fire article that Chris G. wrote today he lists the expected flights for the rest of the year, and Hispasat isn't on there.  It seems likely to slip into 2018.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
In a June FCC filing Hispasat said "launch and place in operation scheduled for May 2018".  There is typically some gap between launch and placing in operation, so that's a bit vague.  Then in an August press release for another mission the manufacturer said it would be launching later this year.  As noted in the Zuma static fire article, it doesn't seem to actually be on the manifest for 2017.  I'm going with first half of 2018 for now, and will refine the estimated date if we get any more news on the mission.

Offline Ragmar

• Space is the Place
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 87
Any idea what happened to push this mission to 2018? I saw Chris's article, just seemed rather sudden that it dropped from the manifest entirely without any announcement/update from Hispasat.

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
Any idea what happened to push this mission to 2018? I saw Chris's article, just seemed rather sudden that it dropped from the manifest entirely without any announcement/update from Hispasat.

The reason it was hanging around the 2017 manifest its that there hasn't been an update and their looked to be a launch slot out of LC-40 at the end of December. Every other mission that would have taken this spot had a new date in 2018. Zuma has now taken this spot which has slipped a week or so due to the delays in getting LC-40 ready for CRS-13.

The question is where this launch is in the manifest order. It seems clear it is at least after Govsat-1/SES-16, which would make this NET February. It could easily be NET April after SES-12, Bangbandhu, CRS-14, and TESS.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
The reason it was hanging around the 2017 manifest its that there hasn't been an update and their looked to be a launch slot out of LC-40 at the end of December.

That's not really true.  A lot of people seemed to think this payload was near the front of the line.  It's not like Es'hail-2 where there has been no info at all.  It will be interesting to see when this payload actually flies.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2017 03:13 pm by gongora »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
Looking at the other Hispasat satellite launch threads, particularly those manufactured by SSL, the satellite's delivery to the launch site (or from the factory) is noted with a press release.

No one has posted news of this satellite's delivery to the Cape or to the SpaceX processing facilities.

That seems to be the next news that will allow a rough estimate forward to a launch date.

This >could< be a delay due to the manufacturer, rather than the launcher?
« Last Edit: 12/08/2017 11:09 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline vaporcobra

Time will tell, but I suspect this could be Hispasat's launch license, NET Feb 15. No mention of booster recovery yet, which is the source of my suspicion.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=81605

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Time will tell, but I suspect this could be Hispasat's launch license, NET Feb 15. No mention of booster recovery yet, which is the source of my suspicion.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=81605

There is a corresponding app for ASDS recovery. I think Raul's guess was SES-12

Offline vaporcobra

There is a corresponding app for ASDS recovery. I think Raul's guess was SES-12

You're correct! My RSS feed didn't pick up those pending applications :(

Offline Chris Bergin

SpaceX Opens Media Accreditation for Hispasat 30W-6 Mission

HAWTHORNE, Calif. – January 9, 2018. Media accreditation is now open for SpaceX's Hispasat 30W-6 mission from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The launch is targeted for no earlier than mid-February 2018.

Falcon 9 will deliver Hispasat 30W-6, a commercial communications satellite, to a geostationary transfer orbit (GTO).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline toruonu

Supposedly Hispasat core. Landing legs? Isn’t it a bit heavy for it?

Source: FB SpaceX group reported the link and that it’s Hispasat core seen now.

Offline vaporcobra

No landing legs in that video. Boosters aren't transported with legs attached.

Offline toruonu

Leg mounts was reported, sorry for confusion

Offline vaporcobra

Gotcha. No worries :) For reference, from the same day, here is a photo from the bus. I may just be oblivious or not know what I'm looking for, but I don't see any obvious leg attachment points. Please correct me if I'm wrong :D

Gotcha. No worries :) For reference, from the same day, here is a photo from the bus. I may just be oblivious or not know what I'm looking for, but I don't see any obvious leg attachment points. Please correct me if I'm wrong :D

The bulge always above the first tire at the back.
Seen here https://i.imgur.com/lAC5RR8.jpg.
Not seen here https://imgur.com/a/t9UAX (Inmarsat's booster).
« Last Edit: 01/13/2018 01:30 pm by MazenHesham »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81286
  • Likes Given: 36776
Spain's @Hispasat: 30W-6 telecom sat arrives at Cape Canaveral from builder @sslmda to prepare for Feb launch on @SpaceX Falcon 9. Sat carries Ku-, C- & Ka-band payload for Americas/trans-Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/953241484362469377

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
[SatelliteProME.com] Hispasat 30W-6 reaches launch site
The fleet’s new satellite has been transferred from the installations of Space System Loral (SSL) in Palo Alto (California), where it was manufactured, to the space centre on-board a truck in a container adapted to transport heavy components and whose characteristics guarantee the safety of the satellite.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1536
  • Likes Given: 567
From FCC documentation dated January 5:
"Hispasat 1F is expected to launch on February 14, 2018"

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
From FCC documentation dated January 5:
"Hispasat 1F is expected to launch on February 14, 2018"

Their next set of permits for launch communications is NET Feb. 15.

Tags: Lessons 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography