Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Hispasat 30W-6 (1F) : March 6, 2018 - DISCUSSION  (Read 161147 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
DISCUSSION thread for Hispasat 30W-6 (Hispasat 1F) mission.

NSF Threads for Hispasat 30W-6 : Discussion / Updates / L2 Coverage November-December,
 January-February / Party
NSF Articles for Hispasat 30W-6 :

Successful launch on March 6, 2018 at 0033 EST/0533 UTC on Falcon 9 (B1044) from SLC-40 at Cape Canaveral.  Payload mass was about 6mT.  Hispasat 30W-6 carried a secondary payload, PODSAT-1, which separated after insertion into GTO.
 Although a drone ship landing was initially planned, the offshore weather on the new launch date led to the decision to expend the booster.

Other SpaceX resources on NASASpaceflight:
   SpaceX News Articles (Recent)  /   SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews)
   SpaceX Dragon Articles  /  SpaceX Missions Section (with Launch Manifest and info on past and future missions)
   L2 SpaceX Section

Hispasat Press Release July 1, 2014:
Spanish satellite telecommunications operator HISPASAT has chosen Space Systems/Loral (SSL) to produce the Hispasat 1F, to be located at orbital position 30º West. The Hispasat 1F will serve as a replacement for the Hispasat 1D and will give the Group additional Ku band capacity, in the Andean region and in Brazil. Likewise, the Hispasat 1F will expand the Group’s transatlantic capacity in Europe-America and America-Europe connectivity. Ka band capacity with European coverage will furthermore be incorporated, in order to enable HISPASAT to continue expanding its broadband service offer in the region.

The Hispasat 1F is expected to have a useful life of 15 years. The satellite will be built on the SSL 1300 satellite platform, with 11.5 kW power and a multi-mission payload distributed across:

48 Ku band transponders, which serve three coverage areas:

- Europe and North Africa, with coverage on the Iberian Peninsula, the Balearic Islands, the Canary Islands,  the Azores, Cape Verde and Madeira; Mauritius, Morocco, Mediterranean countries in North West Africa and  the large part of the European continent visible from 30º West.

- The Americas, with coverage from Canada to Patagonia, not including Brazil.

- South America, with coverage over the large part of the continent, especially in Brazil.

6 Ka band beams, with coverage on the Iberian Peninsula, the Balearic and Canary Islands, North West Africa and South East and Central Europe.
    1 Ka BSS band beam, with coverage centred in the Iberian Peninsula.
    1 C band beam, with coverage centred in Brazil.

In the words of their managing director, Carlos Espinós, “HISPASAT is once again placing its trust in SSL, given the high-quality and reliability of their products. SSL has provided us with a compelling opportunity to team together. We are sure their 1300 platform is best suited for delivering the high service performance our company designed the Hispasat 1F to deliver. Furthermore, we are pleased to note that as a leader in geostationary satellite manufacturing, SSL benefits from Spanish built components on nearly all of its satellites”.

Indeed, John Celli, president of SSL, confirmed that “Hispasat 1F is the third satellite that SSL will build for HISPASAT and we are pleased to welcome our colleagues back to our facility. Our companies share a focus on quality, reliability and value and we look forward to teaming together again to build an outstanding satellite”.

The 1300 platform makes it possible to house a wide range of payloads for commercial communications satellites and its wide in-orbit experience serves to testify the high reliability it provides. In fact, the Hispasat 1F will be the Group’s third satellite to be built based on this experience. Furthermore, SSL’s expertise in manufacturing such large, complex satellites guarantees the Hispasat 1F will be delivered in line with HISPASAT requirements.
Hispasat page for 30W-6

Hispasat 30W-6 on Gunter's Space Page
« Last Edit: 03/17/2018 01:36 pm by gongora »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Launch mass in FCC filing is 6092kg.  (I saw that number on the Satbeams site and looked around for a source.)
« Last Edit: 07/28/2017 02:50 pm by gongora »

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
Launch mass in is 6092kg.

So F9 expendable? or is this a candidate mission for a switch to FH (assuming demo and first confirmed payload flights go well)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

So F9 expendable? or is this a candidate mission for a switch to FH (assuming demo and first confirmed payload flights go well)

No way this goes on FH unless they delay it a year.  Most likely expendable.
« Last Edit: 07/28/2017 02:56 pm by gongora »

Offline xm11

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 11
the launch will be on q1 2018 ?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
the launch will be on q1 2018 ?

Do you have a source for that?  (It wouldn't surprise me at all, but I haven't seen it reported.)

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201

That, or Block 5 does impressive things and manages this much while recovering the booster.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
Tweet from Stephen Clark
SpaceX sets Oct. 7 & 9 launch dates for next two Falcon 9 flights from East and West Coasts. Koreasat 5A in late Oct. confirmed from pad 39A

With KoreaSat 5A confirmed as launching from LC-39A, it appears the "return to launch" for SLC-40 will be Hispasat 30W-6, in late November or early December.

(Unless the next Dragon flight takes precedence.)

EDIT: Post #1000!

EDIT 2: Apparently, the next Dragon flight, SpX-13, takes precedence after all.
« Last Edit: 10/10/2017 10:48 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Wow! She's a giant! Is that pretty much the top of the size range for commercial comsats?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline eeergo

Wow! She's a giant! Is that pretty much the top of the size range for commercial comsats?

Heaviest are slightly under 7 T, so not really at the top, but pretty heavyweight. For immediate reference, see for example AsiaSat-9, who is being launched by a Proton on Sept 28th, at 6140 kg.
« Last Edit: 09/28/2017 02:23 pm by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81286
  • Likes Given: 36776
So with both block 5 and FH hopefully being operational in the next few months, this is likely to be the last expendable Falcon launch? If true I think that's a significant milestone.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
So with both block 5 and FH hopefully being operational in the next few months, this is likely to be the last expendable Falcon launch? If true I think that's a significant milestone.

Well, an already booked customer could opt to switch to a flight-proven Block 3 or 4 for a cheaper (than new Block 5) ride that results in an expendable launch.  So I wouldn't venture "last expendable" just quite yet.

Offline IanThePineapple

Is it possible for this to attempt a landing, since B4 is more powerful than B3?

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 2963
Is it possible for this to attempt a landing, since B4 is more powerful than B3?
At over 6 tonnes? Quite unlikely.

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
At over 6 tonnes? Quite unlikely.

They have already tested super hot landings, some times crashing, but even when not, the stage is in bad shape. No need to test more, and better to keep their streak of successful landings going.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Well, there's always the possibility of ASDS downtime. Ship inspections, unplanned hydraulic fires, heavy seas, storm damage...

Offline Formica

Well, an already booked customer could opt to switch to a flight-proven Block 3 or 4 for a cheaper (than new Block 5) ride that results in an expendable launch.  So I wouldn't venture "last expendable" just quite yet.

Indeed. This seems like a good candidate for a block 3/4 expendable re-use. I'm still a bit surprised we haven't seen such an arrangement take place yet, given block 3s apparently aren't being reused more than once.

Online Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2316
Indeed. This seems like a good candidate for a block 3/4 expendable re-use. I'm still a bit surprised we haven't seen such an arrangement take place yet, given block 3s apparently aren't being reused more than once.

I too am surprised they're not using flights like this to dispose of cores in their inventory.  They could have rehabbed core 1032 by now instead of building new, and wouldn't have to re-install the fins/legs.  I'm sure they have their reasons, still surprising.
« Last Edit: 10/31/2017 01:29 pm by Norm38 »

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365

I too am surprised they're not using flights like this to dispose of cores in their inventory.  They could have rehabbed core 1032 by now instead of building new, and wouldn't have to re-install the fins/legs.  I'm sure they have their reasons, still surprising.

Sure. But the customer has to agree. Hispasat must not be sold on re-use yet.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 3899
  • Likes Given: 5264
Several customers have indicated that the primary driver for flying a previously flown booster is schedule (at least, it is right now).  Hispasat has a new booster slotted for them, so it wouldn't buy them much to switch at this point.
« Last Edit: 10/31/2017 07:49 pm by abaddon »

Tags: Lessons 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography