Author Topic: L2 SpaceX  (Read 115430 times)

Offline SpaceXfan

• Toronto
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 19
L2 SpaceX
« on: 09/27/2013 09:33 pm »
Hi. Been reading this site's news for a long  time. always very good! joined the forum for the launch of Cassiope and i'm curious if it's a good idea to sign up for L2?

I know it's a good idea to support the site you like, but to be honest i'm only really interested in spacex. is L2 SpaceX part of L2 interesting?

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
Re: L2 SpaceX
« Reply #1 on: 09/27/2013 09:35 pm »
It should be a no-brainer! L2 has some fantastic SpaceX content. News is usually broken in that board 48 hours or so before everyone on the public side knows about it.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #2 on: 09/27/2013 09:36 pm »
L2 has lots of SpaceX stuff.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #3 on: 09/27/2013 09:39 pm »
Hi fellow fan! Yeah, it's awesome. Much easiler to follow too as there's no chatty threads. Lots of great and fast info, but also 1000s of unreleased photos of Dragon in space, like these....but it full res.

I have to say I do like the other sections too and I only came here as a SpaceX fan. Some astondiong videos on there.

And yeah, people should support the site for giving us all these other areas, like the SpaceX sections. Thing is, you get a lot back for supporting cause of L2.

Offline SpaceXfan

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: 09/27/2013 09:40 pm »
Thanks! Ok, I'm doing it! ;D How long does it take to get access?

Offline SpaceXfan

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: 09/27/2013 09:49 pm »
I'm in and there goes my weekend! already picking my desktop image of Dragon from hundreds of amazing pictures! ;D thanks everyone, that was a very, very, very good decision!  8)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 986
« Reply #6 on: 09/28/2013 02:09 am »
And there you go, in your case the answer was nine minutes. :D  Chris tends to be pretty on-the-ball.  (Unless he's sleeping, but I think he only does that once or twice a month.)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #7 on: 09/28/2013 02:23 am »
I'm in and there goes my weekend! already picking my desktop image of Dragon from hundreds of amazing pictures! ;D thanks everyone, that was a very, very, very good decision!  8)

Yes, it is definitely worth it, and yes, you will be spending a lot of time here!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 09/28/2013 11:40 am »
Oh, nice thread! :)

I'll probably pin it, so it doesn't come across as some sort of advert.....cause the "internet should free, servers grow trees" types hates these things, but the responses are great. That's the tester, as it's no good for me to say "yes, you should!" It's for other people to say if it's cool or not.

The phrase "support the site" is what makes it all worthwhile for me. That's exactly what L2 is and how L2 started....a tip jar with benefits. There simply would not be a NSF without L2 starting back in 2006.

The level of content a L2 member gains access to is simply a reward for the support. That's the model. A L2 member has directly supported the site's running costs (which is the servers), which justifies that member downloading a 2.5gb video you won't see anywhere else, while being part what is a very small membergroup, which also works well, because there's far less noise, and if you've got a question in L2 - which you can ask because it's the forum format - then you're likely to get a response from someone who just had their hands on the rocket you're asking about! :)

The "insider news"....which you see via it driving the news article content and when I post "per L2" in the open forum, is a by-product of allowing NASA and space industry people in L2 for free (free, because they work in the industry we're all fans of). A lot of those members - without it being a condition - volunteer content and information (nothing dodgy by proxy) as they see what L2 is about, know it's ring-fenced in front of a small audience - and want to help. That's a hugely organic side of the site.

L2 SpaceX section is relatively young by comparison to Shuttle, and you're not going to see FRR presentations for Falcon 9, etc. There's a much tighter line with the commercial side, but we work with these companies and they all know how this site works. You'd be surprised who I talk to from these commercial companies - which led to a hilarious situation once, where one middle manager wrongly assumed we were some sort of rouge secret-spilling site....only for his boss to pass on an e-mail from me, to which we invited him into L2 and he's now a big friend of the site. :)

Anyway, so as not to ramble on....

Do you like this site? Do you enjoy it? Then support it if you're able. All the support goes into the hosting. No one is taking a salary off this place. It allows the majority of the site to be free to all. For your support you are rewarded with access a massive collection of content you won't be able to find anywhere else.

If you do, the first line of the confirmation e-mail, which I personally send (no mail bots), is "Many thanks for subscribing to L2 for a X period, your support is greatly appreciated!" And you can be safe in the knowledge you will have become a proper part of this site, with the benefits that includes.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #9 on: 09/29/2013 06:05 pm »
Another great day for the site.

Proud L2 member.

Offline Davidthefat

• Rockets are life.
  • Greater Los Angeles Area, California
  • Liked: 288
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #10 on: 10/02/2013 09:31 pm »
This is kind of a stupid question, but is there a possibility for a student discount?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 10/05/2013 06:43 pm »
This is kind of a stupid question, but is there a possibility for a student discount?

For students studying in the field of space flight. I'm sure we'll help such people.....we have been for some teachers and some students already.

So we'll keep it on request until I can arrange a mechanism for both future and current L2 members who fall into that category! :)

I'll send you a message, David.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #12 on: 10/05/2013 11:07 pm »
Another great day for the site.

Proud L2 member.
My time management hates that I became an L2 member... but the rest of me loves it. Launch days are great days to realise why L2 is so awesome.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 10/14/2013 02:37 pm »

For students studying in the field of space flight. I'm sure we'll help such people.....we have been for some teachers and some students already.

So we'll keep it on request until I can arrange a mechanism for both future and current L2 members who fall into that category! :)

I'll send you a message, David.

After a think, this is what I've come up with as a trial.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33064.0

Offline ohlongjohnson

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #14 on: 03/06/2014 09:17 am »
If you are a SpaceX fan to whatever degree and have a day job that requires your full attention, I highly recommend to you to NOT, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, get a L2 membership. ;)

There are days where I open the L2 section, not suspecting anything, then I read what awesome new details Chris or others have come forward with and -BAMM- my productivity for the day is gone. No way i can think about anything other then awesome rockets for the rest of the day...

And another warning: I cannot see how i do NOT prolong my L2 subscription once my 2nd term is up in a few months. It is just addictive. It literally gets my heart racing to read the stuff on L2. Be warned ;)

I hope this is not too cheesy, but that's the way it is for me...

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 2574
« Reply #15 on: 03/25/2014 08:06 pm »
Get a lifetime membership. It will save you a lot of money.  ;)

Offline ciscosdad

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #16 on: 03/25/2014 10:08 pm »
You haven't seen anything until you see a thread with these guys speculating (with L2 info) on something SpaceX has given hints about(Elon's "bit" of leg!).
There is nothing else like it anywhere.
If you're a rocket fanboi, its a no brainer. Do it, you'll never regret it.

Offline Lourens

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #17 on: 04/13/2014 06:22 pm »
Yep. The content on L2 is awesome, but for me the true value is in the experts there. Seeing someone ask a question on some obscure (to me at least  :) ) part of the Space Shuttle Orbiter, followed by a reply that starts "I used to work on those things from time to time, and ..." is just priceless. Getting more information on SpaceX's future endeavours is also great, especially with the additional modelling and commentary from said experts. L2 costs less than a magazine subscription, and can you think of any magazine or website that has better space coverage than NSF? Doubly so with L2. It's a steal.

That's not why I got a subscription though. I got a subscription because running a high-traffic website like this one is expensive. On the Internet, you're either paying, or you're being tracked, profiled, and sold to the highest-bidding advertiser, or whoever else wants to know everything you do online. NSF doesn't do the latter, so I'm doing the former. Because it's simply the right thing to do.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 986
« Reply #18 on: 04/14/2014 01:27 am »
On the Internet, you're either paying, or you're being tracked, profiled, and sold to the highest-bidding advertiser, or whoever else wants to know everything you do online. NSF doesn't do the latter, so I'm doing the former. Because it's simply the right thing to do.

Indeed.  This is worth emphasizing.

Offline SpaceXfan

• Toronto
« Reply #19 on: 04/14/2014 07:27 pm »
Love launch days. Thank you NSF and L2 for amazing coverage.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography