Author Topic: SpaceX Hawthorne Facilities  (Read 85019 times)

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10226
Re: SpaceX Hawthorne Facilities
« Reply #40 on: 06/19/2017 02:47 am »
Is there any chance that one of the more graphically gifted NSFers would be willing to create a map of SpaceX's Hawthorne footprint similar to what DaveG has done for Boca Chica properties in TX?

Incidentally, @Raul here at NSF has put together a Google Maps of SpaceX facilities.  It has the two facilities that I mentioned above, so it's probably pretty comprehensive.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1wvgFIPuOmI8da9EIB88tHo9vamo&hl

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #41 on: 06/19/2017 08:20 pm »
This photo show that the SpaceX parking structure was originally planned to have a walk bridge over Crenshaw but they may have decided that the first returned F9 1st stage is too good to passed up as a trophy so they had to settle for tunnel instead?

AIUI SpaceX applied for a permit to build the overhead walkway but it was denied by the city.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #42 on: 06/19/2017 09:27 pm »
This photo show that the SpaceX parking structure was originally planned to have a walk bridge over Crenshaw but they may have decided that the first returned F9 1st stage is too good to passed up as a trophy so they had to settle for tunnel instead?

AIUI SpaceX applied for a permit to build the overhead walkway but it was denied by the city.

That's odd.  Why would Hawthorne grant the easement and then not issue a permit?

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #43 on: 06/20/2017 03:52 am »
That's odd.  Why would Hawthorne grant the easement and then not issue a permit?

Concerns over the precise design (including materials, appearance, height above the ground); positioning; method of construction (including length of any road closures) or objections from third parties for some reason. Etc, etc.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #44 on: 08/16/2017 07:46 pm »
The Boring Company moving from Hawthorne to Torrance?  SpaceX satellite division?

One longtime Torrance defense contractor is shedding almost 100 jobs, while a SpaceX spin-off that could create up to 300 jobs within three years is in talks to move to the South Bay’s largest city, company and municipal officials have confirmed.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/20170815/torrance-aerospace-company-cuts-nearly-100-jobs-spacex-startup-could-bring-200-workers-to-city

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #45 on: 08/20/2017 03:05 pm »
The Boring Company moving from Hawthorne to Torrance?  SpaceX satellite division?

One longtime Torrance defense contractor is shedding almost 100 jobs, while a SpaceX spin-off that could create up to 300 jobs within three years is in talks to move to the South Bay’s largest city, company and municipal officials have confirmed.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/20170815/torrance-aerospace-company-cuts-nearly-100-jobs-spacex-startup-could-bring-200-workers-to-city

The article does not say it is a SpaceX spin-off, but a new start-up company founded by a former SpaceX employee.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #46 on: 08/20/2017 08:15 pm »

The article does not say it is a SpaceX spin-off, but a new start-up company founded by a former SpaceX employee.

The article was revised after I posted it.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #47 on: 03/22/2018 07:46 pm »
At its home base in Hawthorne, the rocket maker’s footprint has expanded to more than 30 buildings over nearly 1.7 million square feet.

Daily Breeze article about Ring moving to Hawthorne

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #48 on: 05/09/2018 07:17 pm »
The Real Deal is reporting that SpaceX currently leases 350,000 square feet of the 1.4 million square-foot Triumph facility and that it will take over the remainder starting in 2020 on a 10-year lease.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #49 on: 05/09/2018 08:38 pm »
So, with 1.7M ft2 already in Hawthorne, this additional million at Triumph facility and 200,000 at the port, SpaceX will have about 3M ft2 total in LA in 2020.  This is about the present size of Gigafactory 1 -- so we'll have a Rocket Gigafactory.  Michaud Facility is 1.87M ft2 BTW.
Impressive.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2018 08:49 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 1931
« Reply #50 on: 05/10/2018 02:38 pm »
So, with 1.7M ft2 already in Hawthorne, this additional million at Triumph facility and 200,000 at the port, SpaceX will have about 3M ft2 total in LA in 2020.  This is about the present size of Gigafactory 1 -- so we'll have a Rocket Gigafactory.  Michaud Facility is 1.87M ft2 BTW.
Impressive.

I hope we gain some insight into how the site is divided up as it grows.  Hawthorne is going to be an interesting mix of the F9 line and BFR components over the next decade.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #51 on: 05/10/2018 03:01 pm »
Impressive.

I hope we gain some insight into how the site is divided up as it grows.  Hawthorne is going to be an interesting mix of the F9 line and BFR components over the next decade.

This would be an excellent line of questioning for an article... facilities, functions, and staffing across the SpaceX complex (Hawthorne, the Port, Seattle, McGregor, the Cape, Vandenberg, Boca Chica, Bay Area, Washington DC, other?).  They are still hiring at a robust pace, and haven't gotten into the production flow on Starlink and its launch campaign yet. 
8,000 is approximate payroll IIRC; must have upwards of 3M ft2 overall already, with >1.2M ft2 being added over next couple years as discussed above.
« Last Edit: 05/10/2018 03:04 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #52 on: 05/10/2018 04:39 pm »
To help visualize posting these images. SpaceX has 3 facilities at Hawthorne, PLUS the Triumph Factory, which adds a huge capability to produce what ever it wants... or store whatever it wants... being next to an airport, can't hurt either...
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #53 on: 05/10/2018 05:54 pm »

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #54 on: 05/10/2018 06:03 pm »
SpaceX has 3 facilities at Hawthorne

Actually, Space has 7 or 8 Hawthorne facilities, as Raul's awesome map shows.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1wvgFIPuOmI8da9EIB88tHo9vamo&hl&ll=33.91947680489818%2C-118.32983894988917&z=16
Thank you so very much for posting this... I had looked at his previous version up thread, but this is so much more detailed... excellent... Thank you to Raul for all his work in keeping this up to date...

Gramps...
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #55 on: 09/14/2018 03:58 pm »
Visiting LA soon, and thought I might drop by to gawk at the displayed first stage.  Has anyone made this visit and might have some suggestions re:  parking, etc.?  I'll be there on a weekday afternoon.

Thanks!

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8807
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #56 on: 09/14/2018 04:00 pm »
Visiting LA soon, and thought I might drop by to gawk at the displayed first stage.  Has anyone made this visit and might have some suggestions re:  parking, etc.?  I'll be there on a weekday afternoon.

Thanks!

Depending on the time of day and day of the week, there's some street parking nearby, but I usually just park at Lowes and walkover.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online tater

• NM
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #57 on: 09/14/2018 04:04 pm »

Thanks!

I'll second the post just above. I rented a car at LAX a couple months ago, and stopped on the way out from the airport. I parked on the street just down the block (side street, not Crenshaw), and Lowes was literally across the street if that's too much trouble.

Totally worth the 5 minute side trip (there's an exit right there).

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #58 on: 09/14/2018 04:18 pm »

Thanks!

I went there randomly on a weekday and there was plenty of street parking just around the corner from it.

Pictures do not do it justice. It's well worth the experience seeing it in person!
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #59 on: 09/14/2018 04:21 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I'll try to take a few pics.

- Ed Kyle

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography