Author Topic: NSF news website (not forum site) feedback / issues  (Read 2286 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1517
  • Likes Given: 1706
I'm not seeing a thread for reporting issues with the main NSF website (where the news stories are posted) so I'm starting a thread.  Feel free to merge with an existing thread if appropriate.

I've noticed that the "Latest News" section near the top of the main website's home page seems to have gotten stuck after June 16th.  Of course NSF has published new stories since then, but they aren't showing up there.  Newer stories ARE appearing in the various sections farther down on the homepage (e.g. "SpaceX", "Commercial"), and in the HTML5 graphical feature thing at the very top, but not in the "Latest News" section.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8075
  • Likes Given: 7404
Re: NSF news website (not forum site) feedback / issues
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2023 09:23 pm »
I'm not seeing a thread for reporting issues with the main NSF website (where the news stories are posted) so I'm starting a thread.  Feel free to merge with an existing thread if appropriate.

I've noticed that the "Latest News" section near the top of the main website's home page seems to have gotten stuck after June 16th.  Of course NSF has published new stories since then, but they aren't showing up there.  Newer stories ARE appearing in the various sections farther down on the homepage (e.g. "SpaceX", "Commercial"), and in the HTML5 graphical feature thing at the very top, but not in the "Latest News" section.

Yep, I see that the refresh bar (Red line) gets stuck.  Should scan towards the right side of the page and load the articles.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

Not an issue. Just a case of all recent articles being "featured". Non-featured go into that area. I unfeatured one to show it still works :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1517
  • Likes Given: 1706
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2023 03:29 am »
Huh. OK, it works, but oddly.  I think the user's expectation from that language would be that that category shows the latest of ALL stories.  Or maybe push that section down to the bottom and call it "other news".  But hey if you're happy with it then nevermind!
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Chris Bergin

We're best to change it to "Other news" not "Latest news" I think.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 863
  • Likes Given: 1718
« Reply #5 on: 07/06/2023 04:44 pm »
Another request please. Could you please keep your images in the news articles with extension .jpg or .jpeg or similar? I have a funny observation that the lead image of the article "SpaceX, Blue Origin, others highlighted in new NASA low-Earth orbit partnerships" is a link to something like ".webp" and that is not always loaded. When I click on the article itself then the image is not loaded in Safari and fine in Firefox.
My suspicion, which could be wrong :), is that Safari does not recognize ".webp" as an image. When I try that link directly then it asks my "Do you allow to download from NSF".
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/A85B8BD6-95FD-43F4-8CB8-5B2BF61E8FE8-1170x658.webp
Attached a screenshot of my desktop where I have the NSF homepage open in Safari and Firefox. As far as I can tell, it is not an Adblock issue (as you can see an ad in the screenshot) but something else. Keep images as image .jpg and .jpeg would help IMHO :) Thanks

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography