Author Topic: Gravity assist  (Read 1081 times)

Offline cube

• Canada
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 51
Gravity assist
« on: 09/01/2022 06:56 pm »
Hello, I have a question about gravity assist, how is it possible that a planet can accelerate a space probe that is already faster than the planet (around the sun)? or how is it possible that a planet can decelerate a probe that is already going slower than the planet (around the sun)?

I have difficulty understanding this.

Thanks !
« Last Edit: 09/01/2022 06:58 pm by cube »

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 867
  • Likes Given: 1727
Re: Gravity assist
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2022 07:02 pm »
Hello, I have a question about gravity assist, how is it possible that a planet can accelerate a space probe that is already faster than the planet (around the sun)? or how is it possible that a planet can decelerate a probe that is already going slower than the planet (around the sun)?

I have difficulty understanding this.

Thanks !
Good question. Have a look and read here. Enjoy.

http://gravityassist.com/articles.htm

http://www.gravityassist.com/IAF-2%202010/IAF2Pub.pdf

The method involved using the gravitational influence of an easy-to- reach nearby planet to catapult a free-fall space vehicle to a more distant planet—a trip that would ordinarily require substantial rocket propulsion and/or trip time using traditional direct-transfer trajectories. Moreover, Minovitch also recognized that by using a series of such trajectory-changing planetar)' encoun­ ters, it is theoretically possible for a free-fall vehicle to travel to many planets without any onboard rocket propulsion (beyond that required to reach the first
planet and to correct for minor trajectory errors).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography