Author Topic: Webcomic-The Meridian Way  (Read 36233 times)

Offline lamontagne

• Otterburn Park, Quebec,Canada
  • Liked: 3459
  • Likes Given: 621
Re: Webcomic-The Meridian Way
« Reply #240 on: 10/26/2022 04:08 pm »
New shirt!  but still same old fashioned collar.
A bit chatty these last few pages, but you need to have some story now and then!
« Last Edit: 10/26/2022 04:10 pm by lamontagne »

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #241 on: 10/30/2022 01:33 pm »
A few slightly awkward frames, showing the limitations of the posing software I use and some stiffness.
To be honest I wouldn't do much better by hand.
Does the light highlighting of the phone work, as a technique?
« Last Edit: 10/30/2022 01:35 pm by lamontagne »

Offline SpeakertoAnimals

• Oregon
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #242 on: 10/30/2022 03:26 pm »
While I'm at it, if you enjoy this story you might enjoy this one as well, in a similar vein.
A complete story this time, mostly done during the lockdown.
Let me know if you think I should share it more generally in a forum, or whatever comments come to mind.

Link to the story (click on link):
https://sites.google.com/view/worldships/flight-of-the-firefly
I like it, understandable architecture and scenario. I think you can start a forum with this or both your stories in one. Got any more?

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #243 on: 10/30/2022 10:04 pm »
While I'm at it, if you enjoy this story you might enjoy this one as well, in a similar vein.
A complete story this time, mostly done during the lockdown.
Let me know if you think I should share it more generally in a forum, or whatever comments come to mind.

Link to the story (click on link):
https://sites.google.com/view/worldships/flight-of-the-firefly
I like it, understandable architecture and scenario. I think you can start a forum with this or both your stories in one. Got any more?

My older work is here.  https://sites.google.com/view/bd-espace/Home
Most of it is in French, so hope you read it, or that the illustrations are good enough so they can be understood.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2022 10:08 pm by lamontagne »

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #244 on: 11/02/2022 12:29 pm »
Ah! a Spaceship!  Enough talking heads!

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #245 on: 11/06/2022 06:47 pm »
I like this page.  Just noticed there is an element missing.  Will publish as is though.  See if anyone spots it.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2022 09:47 pm by lamontagne »

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #246 on: 11/09/2022 03:59 pm »
An attempt at illustrating what a quasi direct interface with an AI might be like.

Lucie is wearing augmented reality contact lenses (she puts them on at the beginning of the story)  In this sequence she closes her eyes to get a black background and improve readability.  In other contexts the info would superimpose itself on her visual field.  So it is not directly to the visual cortex but simply an overlay on the visual field.

Lucie is using subvocalization recognition for her part of the conversation.  The IE is creating the images seen in the frames, although I guess audio through earbuds might be possible as well.  Or likely both.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2022 04:07 pm by lamontagne »

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #247 on: 11/13/2022 12:11 pm »

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #248 on: 11/16/2022 03:25 pm »
Perhaps a good time to remind readers that the entire story is available on the first post of the thread.
Much easier to read that way!

Not quite certain what '500 probes a minutes might look like'.  Left it blank for the moment, open to suggestions...

Offline SpeakertoAnimals

• Oregon
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #249 on: 11/18/2022 06:10 pm »
Perhaps a good time to remind readers that the entire story is available on the first post of the thread.

Not quite certain what '500 probes a minutes might look like'.  Left it blank for the moment, open to suggestions...
By "probes", do you mean hostile attacks or just "pings" to check connectivity? I would think that the network architecture on Mars would be pretty skinny and locating/identifying and isolating bad actors would be relatively easy. Unless the "probes" are initiated by the cities? (By "skinny", I'm thinking the "ISP's" would be just a few servers in the few cities. Unless you a picturing a more distributed network? )

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #250 on: 11/20/2022 06:20 pm »
Spaceships!
The Albatros (essentially the X-33) is an SSTO designed and build on Mars.  Also used for point to point, in the present case.

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #251 on: 11/20/2022 06:24 pm »

By "probes", do you mean hostile attacks or just "pings" to check connectivity? I would think that the network architecture on Mars would be pretty skinny and locating/identifying and isolating bad actors would be relatively easy. Unless the "probes" are initiated by the cities? (By "skinny", I'm thinking the "ISP's" would be just a few servers in the few cities. Unless you a picturing a more distributed network? )
Attacks and pings, I guess.  There are a few separate settlements and a complete local network with replication of the Earth network.  Of course the delays make real time networking with Earth impossible
The entire Martian population by the time the story takes place is nearly two million, so I don't know how large a network that is and how many viruses could lurk in the system.
I have very limited knowledge of computer networks :-)

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #252 on: 11/23/2022 12:54 pm »
The robots are designed for crown control rather than military operations.
They do try to look fearsome though.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1321
  • Likes Given: 1146
« Reply #253 on: 11/24/2022 05:19 am »
No, not fearsome at all. The robots looks fragile and easy to take out. From ex armoured cavalry guy. ;)

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #254 on: 11/24/2022 01:15 pm »
No, not fearsome at all. The robots looks fragile and easy to take out. From ex armoured cavalry guy. ;)
Well, they wouldn't look fearsome to you. ;)  This morning the paper had a picture of a captured T-80 tank being used by the Ukrainians.  Naively, I would have thought one of those would be fearsome and quasi invulnerable!
I was trying to avoid the Mecha concept, and was thinking of something that would be fairly effective at blocking people for crowd control, so close to the ground and fairly wide, capable of linking with others to create a movable barrier.  I was very impressed with the work of the police at the Ottawa occupation, that used this type of tactics.
I guess that on Mars you might be able to jump over them, that would be awkward...
Any suggestions for improvements?  How could you design a robot that can block, perhaps control but should not be deadly?  In a context of a democratic society, with greatly interdependent individuals in a fragile environment...
And has to look cool.
That's a problem with comics, in a book you can write 'fearsome looking robots' and the reader can supply the rest, actually illustrating them is another matter :)  plus in this case expert readers need to be happy! 
So, the whole point of publishing here is to get feedback for better realism.  What could I do to improve these?

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #255 on: 11/24/2022 01:45 pm »
Perhaps I might add that we don't expect these to be used in a context where there is heavy armement around, although the definition of this may be changing, when you can turn a cheap drone into a weapon...
Again think of Mars as an extension of Canada (cold, extensive, not to violent, and did I mention cold?) and not of a theater of war  ;)

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #256 on: 11/24/2022 04:25 pm »
Well actually, since this story is coming to an end, likely a negotiated one, what might be the way this will turn out?

There was a robbery, and it's a lot of value, but it's also not all that much of a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

The nuclear fuel is not per se dangerous, and cannot be weaponized in it's current state.  So that is hardly a reason to intervene violently.  It's not really worth the death of a settler, is it?

I have an idea how to close but I am curious as to what my be your suggestions?

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #257 on: 11/24/2022 04:27 pm »
If you want to avoid general spoilers and discuss my proposed ending, just send a personnel message :-)

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1321
  • Likes Given: 1146
« Reply #258 on: 11/25/2022 05:34 am »
Well, they wouldn't look fearsome to you. ;)  This morning the paper had a picture of a captured T-80 tank being used by the Ukrainians.  Naively, I would have thought one of those would be fearsome and quasi invulnerable!
While having a large smoothbore cannon as decent main armament when paired with a good fire-control system. The T-80 and most contemporary Soviet/Russian tanks does not have enough non-frontal protection along with the exposed ammunition carousal of the auto-loading system in the turret floor results in many flaming turrets flying up after penetrating hits in Ukraine.

I was trying to avoid the Mecha concept, and was thinking of something that would be fairly effective at blocking people for crowd control, so close to the ground and fairly wide, capable of linking with others to create a movable barrier.  I was very impressed with the work of the police at the Ottawa occupation, that used this type of tactics.
I guess that on Mars you might be able to jump over them, that would be awkward...
Any suggestions for improvements?  How could you design a robot that can block, perhaps control but should not be deadly?  In a context of a democratic society, with greatly interdependent individuals in a fragile environment...
And has to look cool.
<snip>
Riot control vehicles generally does not block crowd movements. They usually have some device to disperse the crowd and maybe marking them. Such as water cannon, tear/vomit gas grenade launchers, tear/vomit gas dispensers, etc. Sometimes a dozer blade to shove aside flaming debris. Such vehicles usually operates with riot police on foot.

The Ottawa authorities was using jersey barriers as a fence. AIUI

For your Mars storyline. Making manportable anti-vehicle weapons is relatively easy and with lots of historical reference documentation.

With the previous point. Mars Enforcement robots will need protection for their mobility and observation systems. Not that different from non-frontline armoured military vehicles. Also such robots should not be autonomous.

Fun fact - When I was with the Canadian Army reserve during the introduction of the AVGP Cougar armor car with the Scorpion tank turret. Was told that it could support civil authority in emergencies. No one at the time thought it was a serious or good idea using the Cougar for riot control.

Offline lamontagne

« Reply #259 on: 11/25/2022 01:26 pm »
While having a large smoothbore cannon as decent main armament when paired with a good fire-control system. The T-80 and most contemporary Soviet/Russian tanks does not have enough non-frontal protection along with the exposed ammunition carousal of the auto-loading system in the turret floor results in many flaming turrets flying up after penetrating hits in Ukraine.

And has to look cool.
<snip>
Riot control vehicles generally does not block crowd movements. They usually have some device to disperse the crowd and maybe marking them. Such as water cannon, tear/vomit gas grenade launchers, tear/vomit gas dispensers, etc. Sometimes a dozer blade to shove aside flaming debris. Such vehicles usually operates with riot police on foot.

The Ottawa authorities was using jersey barriers as a fence. AIUI

For your Mars storyline. Making manportable anti-vehicle weapons is relatively easy and with lots of historical reference documentation.

With the previous point. Mars Enforcement robots will need protection for their mobility and observation systems. Not that different from non-frontline armoured military vehicles. Also such robots should not be autonomous.

Fun fact - When I was with the Canadian Army reserve during the introduction of the AVGP Cougar armor car with the Scorpion tank turret. Was told that it could support civil authority in emergencies. No one at the time thought it was a serious or good idea using the Cougar for riot control.
The robots in the story are the policemen on foot, not the accompanying vehicles. That would be the Albatros transport and some embarked, but not used in this case, armement. AI in story has not progressed to the point where it can be used in confidence in a police situation, so yes, the robots are remotely controlled, more waldos than robots.  But I expect deployment and all positioning is done by the robot itself, and perhaps underfunded organisations will use one controller for a number of robots and allow some degree of 'autonomy' from the robots. So are the robots more fearsome and robust than a human in protective gear with a shield?  They will have limited autonomy, after all I'm trying to avoid magic tech, so they have to go back to the mothership and 'feed' fairly frequently.  But they should be great at standing still and playing the unmovable object, slowly pressing forwards from time to time.
The idea is to be able to arrest without putting any lives in danger on either side of the conflict.

This is the tactic the robots are supposed to be designed to implement: 

In story the Albatross Intervention Vehicle (AIV) would be stationed right beside similar vehicles used for rapid intervention in case of fire or serious catastrophe, an organisation known as the Redhats and one of the few Pan City organisations on Mars.  But if the situation included violence or crime, the 'police' would send the AIV.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography