Author Topic: May 2021 Pentagon Report on UAP/UFO Sightings, followup: updates and discussion  (Read 98606 times)

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 2912
  • Likes Given: 508
Great new discussion between three brilliant scientists on the UAP topic. For those who are interested.

Prof Avi Loeb
Eric Weinstein
Dr Brian Keating

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
I doubt these are aliens.

The U.S. Navy has released 35 brief reports regarding various incidents involving its ships and facilities and unidentified small uncrewed aircraft systems, or sUASs, across the entire span of the Pacific between 2016 and 2021. Not all of the reports appear to be notable, and some are clearly innocuous, but others absolutely provide additional evidence of concerning trends that The War Zone has been actively reporting on in recent years. Among the newly released reports, for instance, is one that covers a worrying encounter that the Arleigh Burke class destroyer USS Paul Hamilton had with four drones in the Pacific off the coast of southern California in 2019, which you can read more about in our past reporting here.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/mystery-drones-swarming-navy-destroyer-shined-lights-on-its-bridges

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2180
"unidentified small uncrewed aircraft systems, or sUASs"

We're going to regret letting the DoD change the default acronym from UFO.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Quote from: NASA
We’ve selected 16 individuals to participate in an independent study team on unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), or observations in the sky that cannot be identified as aircraft or known natural phenomena. The nine-month study will begin on Oct. 24: https://go.nasa.gov/3Dd1jo7

Among the 16 persons are Mike Gold and Scott Kelly.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1583474732749697026

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
We’ve selected 16 individuals to participate in an independent study team on unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), or observations in the sky that cannot be identified as aircraft or known natural phenomena. The nine-month study will begin on Oct. 24: https://go.nasa.gov/3Dd1jo7

Yawn.  As I'm fond of saying, wake me up when the aliens have an embassy in DC.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Planet Eaarth
"unidentified small uncrewed aircraft systems, or sUASs"

We're going to regret letting the DoD change the default acronym from UFO.

Changing the acronym is an artifice intended to confuse and divide the audience.  Remember that cringeworthy moment when Hillary Clinton corrected someone on UFO terminology.
« Last Edit: 10/22/2022 04:14 pm by JohnFornaro »

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1235
  • Likes Given: 530
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/mystery-drones-swarming-navy-destroyer-shined-lights-on-its-bridges

Dead link

Try https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/mystery-drones-swarming-navy-destroyer-shined-lights-on-its-bridge

Thanks, that worked.

There isn't anything related to spaceflight, human or alien, in that story. It's a mash-up of recreational drone operators behaving badly, some possible espionage and some obviously non-commercial quadcopters specially built for long range, long duration surveillance.

The incident with the DDG ships seems to me likely to be an actual US government operation with some surveillance group testing its new capabilities against cooperating naval vessels and the ships testing their SNOOPIE teams with a possibly unannounced drill. The fact that the UASs were identified as such and clearly photographed, were operating in an area set aside for hazardous naval exercises, were flying with lights on and nothing was shot down makes it all sound like an elaborate game of laser tag.

The UAS acronym was the FAA's idea and includes everything that flies freely but is operated via remote control. This includes 4 oz electric toy planes and up. Since aliens in their flying saucers are steering with their tentacles on the control bar, UFOs/UAPs are not remotely controlled and cannot properly be called UASs.

The unfortunate part of all this is that since UAS and UAP differ by only one letter, we're going to start seeing a lot more conflation of the 2 wildly different phenomena, as happened in this thread.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Planet Eaarth
The unfortunate part of all this is that since UAS and UAP differ by only one letter, we're going to start seeing a lot more conflation of the 2 wildly different phenomena, as happened in this thread.

As I mentioned above, the intent is to confuse the citizenry and the perceived opponents.  The aliens are laughing their tentacles off. [LTTO]

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1235
  • Likes Given: 530

Yawn.  As I'm fond of saying, wake me up when the aliens have an embassy in DC.

Wakey, wakey John!

Since the US classifies all non-citizens residing in the country as non-resident aliens, all those embassies are alien embassies.  ;)

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
 I just got a secret DVD - set called "My Favorite Martian" which exposes an Alien living in Los Angeles during the 60s.
Very revealing...{not-to-mention he stayed at the house of the human who would eventually roam the landscape as The Incredible Hulk.} How was this allowed to go w/o investigation? {Other than a local detective?}

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
In his February 8, 2023 opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal, Holman W. Jenkins, Jr. suggests that the UFO phenomena was all, or mostly, China surveillance in U.S. air space and that "national security agencies were using UFOs to hide something they didn't want us to see".  The US, he says, has become bad at investigating things, so it uses false information to solve problems. 
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-balloon-pops-d-c-s-myth-bubble-surveillance-china-hunter-biden-laptop-ufo-pentagon-11675791973
The Pentagon did admit last week that it had discovered an awareness blind spot.  Interestingly, Aviation Week even ran a story in its issue before the balloon incident that discussed a weak spot in NORAD that could be exploited by balloons(!).  Not sure I agree with Jenkins thesis entirely (Hunter Biden laptop?  Really?), but he's barking up the right tree at least.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/12/2023 03:56 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 599
Please help me understand.  The last two objects over Alaska and Canada are cylindrical in shape.  Not an idea shape for a lighter than air object. With no obvious means of propulsion how does it remain at altitude for prolonged periods if it is not lighter than air.   Why do they not fall out of the sky?  I am trying to understand.  The only ridiculous answer that comes to mind is anti gravity. The Air Force must have a good idea what it looks like and what it’s density is.  Strange

The Senate now reports it is a balloon.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2023 06:13 pm by testguy »

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 867
  • Likes Given: 1727
Please help me understand.  The last two objects over Alaska and Canada are cylindrical in shape.  Not an idea shape for a lighter than air object. With no obvious means of propulsion how does it remain at altitude for prolonged periods if it is not lighter than air.   Why do they not fall out of the sky?  I am trying to understand.  The only ridiculous answer that comes to mind is anti gravity. The Air Force must have a good idea what it looks like and what it’s density is.  Strange!
With respect, but I think you are reading too much into these preliminary descriptions and "cylindrical". Balloons can be pretty much any shape, from a bird to Darth Vader shape. Just search a little like "balloon festival shapes" and look at the cylindrical balloons from England under this link. No need for science fiction here :)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
Before reaching conclusions, everyone should read this page.  1,800 weather balloons are released every day worldwide!
https://www.weather.gov/bmx/kidscorner_weatherballoons
There are other research balloons, like rawinsondes used to measure upper altitude winds at launch sites, etc. 
https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/the-story/chinese-balloon-oregon-near-space-research/283-3d5f63bf-ff7a-46fa-b99a-f561b0d11a4a
Then there are hobby balloons that can get to very high altitudes. 
A big challenge sorting the wheat from the chaff up there, especially if the bad guys can make their things look like chaff.
Methinks our fighter pilots may be just getting some live round practice.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/12/2023 09:51 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Please help me understand.  The last two objects over Alaska and Canada are cylindrical in shape.  Not an idea shape for a lighter than air object. With no obvious means of propulsion how does it remain at altitude for prolonged periods if it is not lighter than air.   Why do they not fall out of the sky?  I am trying to understand.  The only ridiculous answer that comes to mind is anti gravity. The Air Force must have a good idea what it looks like and what it’s density is.  Strange

The Senate now reports it is a balloon.
Let’s see a picture. Everyone has smartphones now, so claiming something is cylindrical should be easily verifiable.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 2912
  • Likes Given: 508
It’s probably not aliens. Personally, my money is on the Rare Earth Hypothesis being true.

But boy am I going to enjoy it if it IS aliens, just to see the reactions of all of those here and elsewhere who so smugly dismiss the possibility out of hand.

(It will at least somewhat offset the inconvenience of having to then welcome my new alien-insect overlords).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography