Author Topic: SpaceX to switch to new mobile harbour crane at Port Canaveral  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Nehkara

« Last Edit: 06/04/2019 06:17 pm by Nehkara »

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282
The Liebherr is already being used for fairing tests w/ Mr. Steven as we speak.
« Last Edit: 06/04/2019 06:47 pm by leetdan »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81683
  • Likes Given: 36941

Offline strawwalker

• United States
  • Liked: 193
  • Likes Given: 49
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but according to the Liebherr website the LHM 600 has a max lifting height of 45 meters, and a Falcon core with interstage is ~47.5 m before extending the legs. How is that going to work?

edit: Nevermind, I see.
From this technical sheet it appears the 45 m max is with a fully extended jib, so it can likely go much higher than 45.
« Last Edit: 06/04/2019 07:04 pm by strawwalker »

Offline born01930

• Pandora's box
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 24
Prepping for Starship and Super?

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1739
  • Likes Given: 10
Prepping for Starship and Super?

I doubt they will go near the port, except for perhaps a couple of delivery trips, if that's the way SpaceX decide to move them to the launch sites, which is by no means certain.

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
Lots of questions I have crane about yea.  Much centered on why the high operator position and high boom pivot needed is for rockets.

But,

What about the acres of giant white boxes in the back lot just beyond SpaceX's territory?  They are many times larger than typical shipping containers (compare with the trucks moving through).  And all white with no logos. It looks like something out of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind or a secret CIA invasion in a (many) box. Does anyone have any idea what they are?  Or should I start contemplating what giant present SpaceX has had sent to itself that they are about to open and stack up with the crane to be something wonderful?  Did the new crane just put them there from a ship?  I don't think the two container port cranes can go over that far.

Or maybe someone has a reasonable explanation as to what those white boxes are and I'm just hyperventilating for no reason over here.
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Lots of questions I have crane about yea.  Much centered on why the high operator position and high boom pivot needed is for rockets.

The Port Canaveral tweet implies it is THEIR new 1.1-million-pound mobile harbor crane - not SpaceX's.. meaning it's likely a tech upgrade/replacement for the old one.

The marine environment is not kind to steel (especially steel harbour cranes which need to pass load-testing on a regular basis) so perhaps the Yellow Crane had reached the end of it's useful life?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
Port Canaveral ... THEIR

Thank you for clarifying me on that point that I missed.  That super premium crane going so far against SpaceX's usual cost cutting (and its probably being worth more than their BFH) had me missing a lot of sleep and I just got out of bed at 2:30 am to call attention to the incongruity I had assumed.  Now I should be able to get to sleep.
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428

What about the acres of giant white boxes in the back lot just beyond SpaceX's territory?

None of this is Spacex territory.  It all belongs to the port.

The boxes have nothing to do with Spacex
« Last Edit: 06/06/2019 02:14 pm by Jim »

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
So what are the giant white boxes in the back lot just beyond SpaceX's territory?
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
So what are the giant white boxes in the back lot just beyond SpaceX's territory?
Stuff that doesn't belong to SpaceX?

It's a port. WIth multiple users. Stuff goes in and out of there that belongs to other people and companies.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

First ever post. The genuine account of SpaceXFleet Updates on Twitter

The crane is owned by Port Canaveral. It was brought to allow them to be more flexible with cargo unloading anywhere on the north side of the Port. The crane was also brought for SpaceX and Blue Origin to use to lift their boosters. The crane was discussed during an address last year:

It seems safe to assume that SpaceX is being charged to use the crane. I would suspect a competitive deal was struck that worked out cheaper than the rental cost of the Yellow Crane + Operator.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2019 10:28 pm by SpaceXFleet »

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 1000
The crane was discussed during an address last year: https://youtube.com/watch?v=in76KriJics

A few quotes from that 2018 address:

We also began construction on North Cargo Berth 8, which will be a multipurpose berth. That berth will handle all types of cargo, including space industry, and we look forward to that being completed in the middle of next year. [$18 million dollar job]

We also purchased a mobile harbor crane for $6.2 million. This will increase the port's capabilities and flexibility for heavy-lift cargo, containers, any type of business we have. And it will lift the Falcon 9 booster, so we're hoping that we may be able to use it for that as well.

[...]

[Along with Mr. Steven] They're also bringing the sister to the SpaceX droneship here over to Port Canaveral as well. So we'll have two of those on the port, so they can handle the Falcon Heavies offshore. Our challenge is where do we put them? Because all of these vessels have to go somewhere and we just don't have extra bulkhead to park people. So that's one of our challenges.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2019 11:13 pm by theinternetftw »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
First ever post. The genuine account of SpaceXFleet Updates on Twitter

The crane is owned by Port Canaveral. It was brought to allow them to be more flexible with cargo unloading anywhere on the north side of the Port. The crane was also brought for SpaceX and Blue Origin to use to lift their boosters. The crane was discussed during an address last year:

It seems safe to assume that SpaceX is being charged to use the crane. I would suspect a competitive deal was struck that worked out cheaper than the rental cost of the Yellow Crane + Operator.
Nice first post! Welcome to the forum. I bet the gang at the ASDS watcher and SpaceX fleet threads would love to hear about your methods, if you're inclined to share...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/portcanaveral/status/1195471801909993472

WATCH: Milestone for Port Canaveral crane. For the first time, Port Canaveral's new mobile harbor crane lifts a SpaceX Falcon 9 booster from SpaceX droneship of Course I Still Love You a few hours after the droneship carrying the reusable rocket stage arrived at the Port Fri morn

https://twitter.com/spacexfleet/status/1195464820138676227

.@PortCanaveral: For the first time, Port Canaveral's new mobile harbor crane lifts a SpaceX Falcon 9 booster from Of Course I Still Love You.
« Last Edit: 11/15/2019 09:53 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
twitter.com/portcanaveral/status/1583530985731555329

SECOND MOBILE HARBOR CRANE COMING TO PORT CANAVERAL:
Port Canaveral has signed an agreement with the @LiebherrGroup to acquire a second mobile harbor crane to accommodate the growing diverse cargo business at the Port.

Read More: portcanaveral.com/new-mhc-2022

https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1583531798490886144

Port Canaveral is buying a second mobile harbor crane with a greater reach and lift capacity

SpaceX is a near-constant user of the current crane so would likely take advantage of the new and improved model.

Blue Origin may want to use it too.... eventually.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography