Author Topic: Strela launch with Kondor (Kosmos-2487) satellite - June 27, 2013  (Read 59587 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 621
  • Likes Given: 712
Re: Strela launch with Kondor satellite - June 27, 2013
« Reply #80 on: 07/04/2013 05:04 pm »
For the record, the satellite is called "COSMOS 2487":

http://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=39194

COSMOS 2487 is a Kondor Radar Satellite. The satellite has a liftoff mass of about 1,100 Kilograms, hosting a 350-Kilogram Synthetic Aperture Radar payload consisting of a radar antenna with a diameter of six meters. The satellite is equipped with two deployable solar arrays that are mounted on a central body that also holds the radar antenna array. The vehicle features avionics and batteries of power distribution and storage as well as computer systems to collect, store and transmit data via an X-Band communication system that allows data to be downlinked to ground stations at up to 350Mbit/s. The SAR payload will operate in the S-Band frequency covering a footprint of 1,000 Kilometers—500km to either side of the ground track. Within that footprint, the payload can image a ground swath of about 15 Kilometers. In spotlight mode, the payload can achieve a resolution of up to 1 meter, in stripmap mode it can provide images with a resolution of 1 to 3 meters, and in ScanSAR mode, the satellite will cover a greater area on the ground with resolutions of 5 to 30 meters. Kondor will provide all-weather, round the clock Earth imagery for military and civilian purposes. The vehicle will provide interferometrical data on successive orbits. The Kondor satellite is expected to operate for 3 to 10 years orbiting Earth in a ~500-Kilometer orbit at high inclinations of up to 98 degrees.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1473
  • Likes Given: 552
« Reply #81 on: 07/04/2013 05:13 pm »

COSMOS 2487 is a Kondor Radar Satellite. The satellite has a liftoff mass of about 1,100 Kilograms, hosting a 350-Kilogram Synthetic Aperture Radar payload consisting of a radar antenna with a diameter of six meters. The satellite is equipped with two deployable solar arrays that are mounted on a central body that also holds the radar antenna array. The vehicle features avionics and batteries of power distribution and storage as well as computer systems to collect, store and transmit data via an X-Band communication system that allows data to be downlinked to ground stations at up to 350Mbit/s. The SAR payload will operate in the S-Band frequency covering a footprint of 1,000 Kilometers—500km to either side of the ground track. Within that footprint, the payload can image a ground swath of about 15 Kilometers. In spotlight mode, the payload can achieve a resolution of up to 1 meter, in stripmap mode it can provide images with a resolution of 1 to 3 meters, and in ScanSAR mode, the satellite will cover a greater area on the ground with resolutions of 5 to 30 meters. Kondor will provide all-weather, round the clock Earth imagery for military and civilian purposes. The vehicle will provide interferometrical data on successive orbits. The Kondor satellite is expected to operate for 3 to 10 years orbiting Earth in a ~500-Kilometer orbit at high inclinations of up to 98 degrees.
Thanks, this seems to be  a reproduction of the NPO Mash brochure for the radar Kondor. Do we have any original source confirming that this launch was for a radar satellite?

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1625
  • Likes Given: 934
« Reply #82 on: 07/04/2013 06:36 pm »

COSMOS 2487 is a Kondor Radar Satellite.

That designation was already on the Russian Launches thread since June 27.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #83 on: 07/04/2013 06:54 pm »

COSMOS 2487 is a Kondor Radar Satellite.

That designation was already on the Russian Launches thread since June 27.

Perhaps that designation could be added to the thread title here.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 592
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #84 on: 07/08/2013 07:22 pm »
This is Kondor launch or Kondor-E? Anatoly Zak is reporting launch of Kondor-E while anik's manifesto shows Kondor-E still TBD?

Kondor-E is the export version, this is a Russian military launch, so it's a Kondor not a Kondor-E

According to NPO Mash press release, it is Kondor-E...

http://www.npomash.ru/press/ru/1_podrobnee270613.htm?l=0
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
"The launch of Kondor-E  with S band radar was greeted by participants" in the Ulan-Ude international conference on Probing Earth's surface with SAR (June 24 to 29)
(source in Russian)
The radar payload seems to be confirmed...

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
Concerning the Strela launcher, I am surprised that no Western firm has partnered with NPO Mash to utilize Strela as a commercial launcher. Strela should cost a fraction of Dnepr.

Offline bernard

• South Africa
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Good afternoon guys. ( here in SA ) I found this forum while Googling for info on the Kondor-E which was launched in June 2013.

Information has started appearing in our South African newspapers to the effect that the ANC government has spent over R1,2 billion for a Russian satellite launch in June 2013.... and the word Kondor-E was mentioned a number of times.

Questions put to the government have been totally ignored or answered to the effect that it's military intelligence and therefore classified. The public and the media are purposefully being kept in the dark.
Judging by their answers it certainly points to them knowing something about the satellite.

It has since reached the stage where it is to be brought up in parliament by opposition parties.

I've read here that the Kondor-E has earth imagery capability for military and CIVILIAN use. I'll state here and now that I know nothing compared to you guys. I also understand that my post is pretty late.

Is anybody able to shed some light as to what this imagery could mean to the man in the street ?
I could hazard a few guesses such as they would be able to pick up illegal plantations, clandestine military training grounds etc but I'm sure this vicious government has ulterior motives.

Keep in mind that this ANC government is aligned with the Cubans, Russians and the Chinese et al.

REALLY looking forward to some insightful information. :)

Bernard.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Good afternoon guys. ( here in SA ) I found this forum while Googling for info on the Kondor-E which was launched in June 2013.

Information has started appearing in our South African newspapers to the effect that the ANC government has spent over R1,2 billion for a Russian satellite launch in June 2013.... and the word Kondor-E was mentioned a number of times.

Questions put to the government have been totally ignored or answered to the effect that it's military intelligence and therefore classified. The public and the media are purposefully being kept in the dark.
Judging by their answers it certainly points to them knowing something about the satellite.

It has since reached the stage where it is to be brought up in parliament by opposition parties.

I've read here that the Kondor-E has earth imagery capability for military and CIVILIAN use. I'll state here and now that I know nothing compared to you guys. I also understand that my post is pretty late.

Is anybody able to shed some light as to what this imagery could mean to the man in the street ?
I could hazard a few guesses such as they would be able to pick up illegal plantations, clandestine military training grounds etc but I'm sure this vicious government has ulterior motives.

Keep in mind that this ANC government is aligned with the Cubans, Russians and the Chinese et al.

Bernard.

Interesting, considering the rumors that a second satellite (under the name "Kondor-E") is being built in Russia for a foreign customer for launch on March 19 (per latest information), and South Africa would fit since I don't think they can access American/European satellite radar observation data....
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3678
  • Likes Given: 220

Bernard.

Interesting, considering the rumors that a second satellite (under the name "Kondor-E") is being built in Russia for a foreign customer for launch on March 19 (per latest information), and South Africa would fit since I don't think they can access American/European satellite radar observation data....

Is there any indication at all if it different from the first or is it a identical copy?

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3891
  • Likes Given: 750

Bernard.

Is there any indication at all if it different from the first or is it a identical copy?
Kondor is a SC bus and has several different reconnaissance payloads designed around it. The first Kondor flew an electro-optical payload.
« Last Edit: 12/20/2014 07:34 am by input~2 »

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
Kondor is a SC bus and has several different reconnaissance payloads designed around it. The first Kondor flew an electro-optical payload.
Indication is it was a SAR payload

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3678
  • Likes Given: 220
If this is a SA payload why does it have a Kosmos designation as isn't that normally reserved for Russian government payloads alone?
« Last Edit: 12/20/2014 09:00 am by Star One »

Offline russianhalo117

• Liked: 3891
  • Likes Given: 750
If this is a SA payload why does it have a Kosmos designation as isn't that normally reserved for Russian government payloads alone?
You mis-read the article: The article is using the results released by Russia as explanation of why SA wanted a spy sat. Kosmos-2487 has always been a russian payload and is used as in orbit showroom to entice future customers of its Imaging/mapping qualities.

Offline Artyom.

• Liked: 1416
  • Likes Given: 135
Possible frames from video of preparation to launch and launch(?) (or is it December 5, 2003?  ::) ) .

Offline owais.usmani

• Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 269
Possible frames from video of preparation to launch and launch(?) (or is it December 5, 2003?  ::) ) .

Where is the video?

Offline Artyom.

• Liked: 1416
  • Likes Given: 135
Where is the video?
Unfortunately, this video is private and is located on the website, which is blocked on this forum :( .

Offline owais.usmani

• Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 269
Where is the video?
Unfortunately, this video is private and is located on the website, which is blocked on this forum :( .

I am sure you can find it on youtube, or just upload it on youtube yourself.  ;)
« Last Edit: 12/24/2014 03:11 pm by owais.usmani »

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5140
  • Likes Given: 166
Update: obj. 39194 COSMOS 2487 decay prediction: November 29, 2022 UTC 12h55mn ± 6h

https://twitter.com/jremis/status/1597371291925090309

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography