Author Topic: ISS flyby during the Sun n Fun Airshow  (Read 1726 times)

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
ISS flyby during the Sun n Fun Airshow
« on: 04/16/2018 09:05 pm »
The Sun n Fun airshow is unofficially claiming the World's Fastest, Highest, and Quietest Airshow Flyby Saturday night, when the ISS passed directly overhead between 2022-2027 during the AeroShell Aerobatic routine. We had the announcer mention it and the crowd looked like a bunch of baby space birds as they tilted their heads back to see, pointing up at it.

Tell me people ain't interested in space, and I'll tell you what it was like from the Air Boss Tower Saturday evening when we pointed out the Atlas launch and the ISS pass. People actually applauded.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2018 09:33 pm by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline freda

• USA
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: ISS flyby during the Sun n Fun Airshow
« Reply #1 on: 04/16/2018 09:24 pm »
Thanks for the post. Used to live in Lakeland, and know of the Sun n Fun show. Good!

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #2 on: 04/20/2018 06:57 pm »
It's a Moon ? no... it's a space station !  ;D

Imagine if the entire ISS could lower its orbit down to 1 mile, and then make a barrell roll above the spectators, flying at 8 km/s. 
Sorry, couldn't help. Very nice picture.
« Last Edit: 04/20/2018 06:58 pm by Archibald »
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Svenry

• Eastern Pennsylvania
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #3 on: 05/04/2018 02:06 am »
This is awesome, especially that you were able to notify everyone at the event. An airshow audience is pretty much ideal for that type of thing. I was at an MLB game once during a great ISS pass. My friend I tried but ultimately failed to get it announced over the speakers. I think some of the staff we spoke to thought we were a bunch loonies.

It's so great pointing it out to people, especially those who haven't seen it and/or didn't know it was possible to see it. Sometimes I run into people who don't even know the ISS is a thing and it blows their mind. And every so often I encounter people who don't believe it.

Anyway, nice work!
« Last Edit: 05/04/2018 02:07 am by Svenry »

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
« Reply #4 on: 05/04/2018 06:21 am »
Here's the Atlas launch from my office, you can see people watching her climb out. Even from almost 100 miles away it was pretty bright, and easily visible.

I thought I was being a geek until my boss at Sun n Fun went Heck YES we're going to announce it!!!! (I volunteer for some pretty cool people.)

Sun 'n Fun is April 2-7 next year, SUN ‘n FUN makes more than $430,000 of scholarship funds available annually to students in Polk County entering an Aerospace Industry career to cover the cost of flight lessons and/or college tuition for 4 years. An estimated $2.1m is invested by SUN ‘n FUN to augment public education programs in Polk County annually.
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography