Author Topic: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-D Discussion Thread  (Read 107181 times)

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
Re: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-D Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: 09/30/2013 06:17 pm »
Is there video of this?

Yes, this one shows hatch opening and other activities shortly afterwards: (starting at 1:18)

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8521
« Last Edit: 09/30/2013 06:18 pm by Lars_J »

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #181 on: 09/30/2013 06:39 pm »
Cygnus is a very spacious-looking module, swallowed up a couple of the ISS crew with no problems.

Cygnus held 2 or 3 crew members along with the cargo.

When I saw the picture with the hatch open, I was wondering where all the cargo was. That PCM has just a ton of room inside, and this is the "small" model. They could still stuff cargo bags down the middle of the PCM, right ? Or is some sort of hold-down required before they can use that space ?

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #182 on: 09/30/2013 06:47 pm »
They could still stuff cargo bags down the middle of the PCM, right ?

Yup - they can stuff the PCM pretty good.

The Orb-D PCM (3rd attached image) is fairly empty by comparison.
« Last Edit: 09/30/2013 06:50 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #183 on: 09/30/2013 07:22 pm »
When I saw the picture with the hatch open, I was wondering where all the cargo was. That PCM has just a ton of room inside, and this is the "small" model. They could still stuff cargo bags down the middle of the PCM, right ? Or is some sort of hold-down required before they can use that space ?
This was in many ways a test flight and as noted, they "only" took up 700 kg on this flight; being a demo mission was one of the reasons.  As the slides that Pete attached show, the Standard Cygnus can carry up to about 2000 kg.  (Also with the other note that volume is as big a consideration as mass.)

Last number I heard for the next mission was ~1350 kg.  (As always, subject to change.)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #184 on: 09/30/2013 11:21 pm »
http://spacefrontier.org/2013/09/cygnus-berthing-delivers-on-newspace-promise/

Orbital Sciences Corp. Proves COTS Success by Delivering Cargo to International Space Station

Nyack, NY - The Space Frontier Foundation congratulates Orbital Sciences Corporation on a successful berthing with the International Space Station (ISS), proving that investment in the NewSpace industry pays off in a big way.

On September 18, 2013 Cygnus launched atop the Antares rocket, and 11 days later, after successfully fixing a navigation software issue, the Cygnus cargo vehicle berthed with the International Space Station.  This completes almost all of the COTS program, and allows Orbital Sciences Corporation to begin delivering up to 20,000 kg of supplies – over eight launches – to the ISS, under the Commercial Re-Supply Services (CRS) contract with NASA.

“We now have two private space companies that have succeeded in delivering cargo to the International Space Station, which up until NASA’s Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program arrived, was a job reserved for only the wealthiest governments,”said Foundation President James Pura. ”Since 2006, the Foundation has supported the COTS program because it uses fixed-price, milestone-based awards, and believes that more funding should go into these kinds of programs, including the Commercial Crew program. Programs like COTS and CCiCap force the space industry to be innovative and not rely solely on cost-plus contracts.”

The successful berthing of the Cygnus vehicle follows in the footsteps of SpaceX’s Dragon capsule, which berthed for the first time in May 2012. The Space Frontier Foundation hails these historical events as proof that given the chance, the NewSpace Industry can be the fastest, most economical way to ensure we have safe and reliable access to space. This is just the beginning of a thriving, innovative and robust commercial space industry.

“Proving the capability of commercial launchers is one more step in achieving sustainable space settlement,” said Foundation space policy expert and Board of Directors member, Aaron Oesterle. “This work, combined with station utilization enabled by companies like Nanoracks and Bigelow Aerospace’s BEAM module, all point towards a future where exciting space exploration is dependent upon embracing NewSpace principles.”

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #185 on: 10/01/2013 01:12 am »
This was in many ways a test flight and as noted, they "only" took up 700 kg on this flight; being a demo mission was one of the reasons.  As the slides that Pete attached show, the Standard Cygnus can carry up to about 2000 kg.  (Also with the other note that volume is as big a consideration as mass.)

Last number I heard for the next mission was ~1350 kg.  (As always, subject to change.)

Also this launch used the last base Castor 30 upperstage, the next one will use the uprated B model.

Edit:  CRS-1&2 will use the Castor 30B, CRS-3 on will use the stretch Castor 30 XL
« Last Edit: 10/01/2013 01:21 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #186 on: 10/01/2013 10:29 am »

Also this launch used the last base Castor 30 upperstage, the next one will use the uprated B model.

Edit:  CRS-1&2 will use the Castor 30B, CRS-3 on will use the stretch Castor 30 XL

Equating to flying no less than three different version of the Antares launch vehicle on four flights. Man, if that other CRS service provider changed the specs of their upper stage as often as Orbital is planning to do, it would result in some very lively debates in that associated section of this forum.
Fortunately this is Orbital and we have none of that forum baloney over here, thank goodness.  ;)
« Last Edit: 10/01/2013 10:30 am by woods170 »

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #187 on: 10/01/2013 10:45 am »
Now on L2, a nice set of Cygnus images on orbit ;)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21452
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #188 on: 10/01/2013 10:54 am »

Equating to flying no less than three different version of the Antares launch vehicle on four flights. Man, if that other CRS service provider changed the specs of their upper stage as often as Orbital is planning to do, it would result in some very lively debates in that associated section of this forum.
Fortunately this is Orbital and we have none of that forum baloney over here, thank goodness.  ;)

The other did change the other vehicle every launch in different aspects, just not in total impulse.  But the difference with Antares is the initial version was not marketed for other launches and they are upfront about the two versions.

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #189 on: 10/01/2013 12:24 pm »
Let's not discuss that other vehicle's second stage issues over here.

When there are 20+ objects to track after the next Antares launch, it will be due to the 28 cubesats that are riding along.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #190 on: 10/01/2013 01:51 pm »
If there are only 20 tracks after the next Minotaur launch, something went wrong!
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=30651.0
November 4 - ORS 3: STPSat 3, ORSES, ORS Tech 1, ORS Tech 2, Prometheus 1, Prometheus 2, Prometheus 3, Prometheus 4, SENSE 1, SENSE 2, Firefly, STARE B (Horus),  NPS-SCAT, CSIP, Rampart, CAPE 2, KYSat 2, Lunar Orbiter&Lander CubeSat, SwampSat, Black Night 1, SPA-1 Trailblazer, TetherSat, DragonSat 1, COPPER, PhoneSat 2.0 - Minotaur I - MARS LP-0B - 23:30-02:30

I could be wrong, but I don't think the next Antares will be carrying 20+ cube sats...
December 8 - Cygnus Orb-1 (CRS1), Flock-1 (x28) - Antares-120 - MARS LP-0A

As for other launchers...
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32875.msg1100429#msg1100429
« Last Edit: 10/01/2013 01:55 pm by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #191 on: 10/01/2013 02:03 pm »
Let's not discuss that other vehicle's second stage issues over here.

When there are 20+ objects to track after the next Antares launch, it will be due to the 28 cubesats that are riding along.

As I fully expected it, a specific someone with a sore spot for that other CRS provider responded to my little ramble.
But you're right: I won't discuss that particular second stage any further here.

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #192 on: 10/01/2013 02:04 pm »

I could be wrong, but I don't think the next Antares will be carrying 20+ cube sats...
December 8 - Cygnus Orb-1 (CRS1), Flock-1 (x28) - Antares-120 - MARS LP-0A

What do you think Flock-1 (x28) means? That's 28 3U cubesats  ;)

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/flock-1.htm
« Last Edit: 10/01/2013 02:07 pm by Silmfeanor »

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #193 on: 10/01/2013 02:05 pm »
I thought I heard that "Flock-1 (x28)" represents 28 cubesats.

All following the Swan on a graceful ride into orbit.

Yes, that Minotaur has a large number of cubesats as well..

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #194 on: 10/01/2013 02:40 pm »
That means 65 (5 A-One, 1 Ladee, 1 Cygnus Orb-D1, 29 ORS-3, 29 Orb-1) satellites will orbit from Wallops this year... By my fingers only 64 (if you count HETE and SAC-B which failed to separate as two) made it to orbit prior to 2013.

That is quite something... Half of all Wallops Satellites will launch this year!

« Last Edit: 10/02/2013 01:27 pm by kevin-rf »
It's your med's!

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #195 on: 10/02/2013 12:41 pm »
That is quite something... Half all all Wallops Satellites will launch this year!

Was LADEE the first lunar launch from Wallops FF?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #196 on: 10/02/2013 01:34 pm »
Yes
It's your med's!

Offline joek

• Liked: 2784
  • Likes Given: 1097
« Reply #197 on: 10/05/2013 12:45 am »
Is OSC's mission control center required to provide 24x7 coverage for the duration of these COTS missions (e.g., the entire timeCygnus is berthed to the ISS, arrival, departure, etc.)?  Thanks.

Offline StarryKnight

• Virginia
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #198 on: 10/05/2013 12:50 am »
Is OSC's mission control center required to provide 24x7 coverage for the duration of these COTS missions (e.g., the entire timeCygnus is berthed to the ISS, arrival, departure, etc.)?  Thanks.
There are people 24x7 in the Mission Operations Center. But the team is down to an handful of people as opposed to the 30 or so people prior to berthing.
In satellite operations, schedules are governed by the laws of physics and bounded by the limits of technology.

Offline joek

• Liked: 2784
  • Likes Given: 1097
« Reply #199 on: 10/05/2013 01:33 am »
There are people 24x7 in the Mission Operations Center. But the team is down to an handful of people as opposed to the 30 or so people prior to berthing.

Thanks.  Hoping for more OSC missions in the future (not just CRS)!  The question then arises ... Can the OSC Mission Operations Center handle multiple concurrent missions?  E.g., What happens if you have a COTS CRS mission which could last for several weeks, and another mission during that period?  Not sure that is a situation that has arisen in the past?  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2013 01:50 am by joek »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography