Author Topic: Astronauts with 2 Assignments  (Read 1887 times)

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 155
Astronauts with 2 Assignments
« on: 11/16/2008 01:06 am »
I've been doing some research of the Gemini and Apollo flight crew assignments, and found this interesting.
Both Dave Scott and Charlie Bassett were actually assigned to two flight crews before ever flying in space.
Scott was assigned to Gemini 8 and McDivitt's Apollo 3 crew, and at the same time Bassett was assigned to both Gemini 9 and Borman's Apollo 4 crew.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in shuttle history hasn't that happened only with astronauts that have already flown in space (ie: Crippen: 41-C and 41-G)?

Offline faustod

• Italy
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Astronauts with 2 Assignments
« Reply #1 on: 11/16/2008 04:56 pm »
About the STS program:
Steve Nagel for STS-51G and STS-61A, in 1985.
Stanley Griggs for STS-51D and Spacelab 2 then Spacelab 4, in 1985.
Thomas Jones for STS-59 and STS-68, in 1994.
« Last Edit: 11/16/2008 07:08 pm by faustod »

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: 11/16/2008 06:02 pm »
I've been doing some research of the Gemini and Apollo flight crew assignments, and found this interesting.
Both Dave Scott and Charlie Bassett were actually assigned to two flight crews before ever flying in space.
Scott was assigned to Gemini 8 and McDivitt's Apollo 3 crew, and at the same time Bassett was assigned to both Gemini 9 and Borman's Apollo 4 crew.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in shuttle history hasn't that happened only with astronauts that have already flown in space (ie: Crippen: 41-C and 41-G)?

This is incorrect.  While Slayton had plans for Scott and Bassett to rotate from initial Gemini flights to Apollo CMP positions, neither astronaut was "assigned" to two missions at the same time.  Scott's actual assignment to the McDivitt crew took place after he returned from Gemini VIII.  Bassett died before flying IX and was never announced -- i.e., formally assigned, with appropriate HQ approval, paperwork -- to Borman's crew.

On the other hand, Stafford was actually assigned to two crews before flying his first one.... was backup commander for Gemini XI before flying on Gemini VI.  (And had been told he would command Gemini XII.)

Michael Cassutt

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 155
« Reply #3 on: 11/16/2008 08:45 pm »
Thanks Michael, for making that clear.
Faustod...thanks for the STS crew info.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman