Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 1201540 times)

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
This is a good point, and it got me thinking. If everything goes as planned, SpaceX will launch again in a few days, and I think they're planning to attempt recovery again. This could upstage the (arguably more historic) first landing video. We need to put together a video with what we've got today, tomorrow at the lastest. If necessary, I can hand-assemble something from the iframes and pieces of the pframes. It wouldn't be as pretty as what arnezami and mlindner can do, so I'll wait until I hear from them.

It's actually a lot easier than that. If no one else does it by Friday Eastern time then I'll be modifying ffmpeg to add a frame specifier to the mmb options. Then we simply pile all the mmb options into one long entry and run ffmpeg with it. viola, produced video. This would also allow us to try tweaking some p-frames if we so wish.

Producing a video now with what we have won't be very attractive yet. We need to fine tune a lot of the frames still. I'm doing that now for iframe8, which should hopefully look really really good. This means doing things like whenever you use -1 and replace the block, fine tune all the luma and chroma settings for it to have the least effect on surrounding blocks.

Are you still planning on doing the frame specifier modifications tonight? Right now we have mods for two different video streams. Are you going to be able to integrate those, or do we need to start a porting effort to a newer reconstruction?

I think it is likely that it could take weeks or months to get the video to a level of quality that is going to satisfy everyone working on it. Chris, can you ask PAO what timeframe would be most useful to them?

The mods I described would probably only support a single transport stream and changes to iframes in that transport stream. Ideally people can port their changes to try1.ts as it has more data in the frames. If not, I'm not too worried about just waiting until after the next flight before getting something out unless someone wants to work on modifying the iframes with the changes and combining them with the transport streams that way.

I won't get the changes done tonight (Eastern) will probably have to do it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2014 04:05 pm by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818

I think it is likely that it could take weeks or months to get the video to a level of quality that is going to satisfy everyone working on it. Chris, can you ask PAO what timeframe would be most useful to them?

You guys are ahead of the game, the only real game in town actually. Provide what you can, when you can. This is an unbelievable effort on show here.

Awesome. Thanks! Glad we could be of use. I hope this helps SpaceX to consider releasing more information to the knowledgable public in the future! We're always ready to get more candy, even if it requires some cleaning first.

The world is on SpaceX's side even if a few companies/corporations/governments aren't.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2014 04:14 pm by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Can we create a .gif, showing the original frame8 and the one above, with before and after written on them?

The .gif needs to be 350 pixels wide and whatever you require in length and then I'll use that in the article I'm going to put on shorty.

Something like this?

Online Chris Bergin

Can we create a .gif, showing the original frame8 and the one above, with before and after written on them?

The .gif needs to be 350 pixels wide and whatever you require in length and then I'll use that in the article I'm going to put on shorty.

Something like this?

Something like that! :)

Splendid. Thanks much!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Ok, so this thread is now fully linked up on the news site via the Static Fire article - in which I added some paras to the end per the video repair effort.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/05/spacex-falcon-9-static-fire-test/

Had to keep it light, given the wider audience on the news site, but linked the thread and linked Arnezami's great post on how this process is taking place.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Nice article Chris!
The ongoing video recovery effort on NSF is wonderful and the subject even more so.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
Another day, another cygwin build. This is from today's git and adds the -2 parameter to mmb. As usual, only grab the DLLs if you don't already have them.

-Bob

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
frame 5 so far

0:0:-1,26:12:35375,12:13:-1,16:13:38823,17:13:-1,19:13:39153,22:13:-1,27:13:40118,29:13:-1,33:13:40830,0:15:50056

2 or 3 clear blocks of leg. some of the stage, a row of it is miss aligned.

Offline John_L

Rampant speculation about something "damaged" when it could as easily be a video artifact or misaligned video data block is why Elon and SpaceX are leary about releasing such things in the first place. To me the anamoly it looks like it has right angled edges which align with the macro blocks.  Let's not get too crazy about this yet.

What gives you the impression that SpaceX and/or Elon Musk "are leary" about releasing the video.  They specifically released the video to the public in the hopes that someone (like this band of forum members) would take up the challenge of reconstructing the video.  Alot of us have been working hard to learn mpeg decoding better, have worked directly with the curator of FFMpeg to get new functionality created within FFMpeg, creating new tools on the fly so we can edit parts of the video that have never been editable before. 

I seriously doubt that a few people speculating about the video in a forum that's read mainly by it's members, and, if I may add, SpaceX themselves, would be damaging, and, they are also following our work closely, and are happy that we are putting for the effort for nothing more than the enjoyment we're getting from positive results, and the desire for us to HELP SpaceX gain extremely useful data regarding the last launches attempt to land the stage.

We're all SpaceX fans here...

Offline moralec

You guys are ahead of the game, the only real game in town actually. Provide what you can, when you can. This is an unbelievable effort on show here.

This is truly an d unbelievable effort. And is amazing to see the amount of details that have been recovered form the initial frames, and the conviction and talent of all people that have been involved....

This is what we have so far guys! And let's keep with the good job:

Offline Swatch

• Official Aerospace Engineer as of June 13th, 2009
  • Cincinnati
    • ProjectApollo/NASSP: Virtual Systems and Flight Simulation of the Apollo Program
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 19
Chris, may I recommend you add links to the first post of this thread detailing how to start helping with this effort and some of the better posts in the thread describing what's going on?  Also, a link to the wikipage they setup?

I think it will help orient people without going through 24 pages of stuff.
Ex-Rocket Scientist in Training, now Rocket Scientist!
M-F trying to make the world of the future a smaller place through expanding horizons...

Offline John_L

I don't know how much "better" such video would be. On another site I saw a claim that the telemetry plane on CRS-3 was over 20 miles away. The CASSIOPE launch aerial images released also suggest a pretty large distance from the vehicle. I guess safety trumps closeup observations.

There was really bad weather, so ships and planes that were slotted to be much closer to the "action" weren't able to get there for safety reasons.  If this were a NASA launch, NASA would have likely had a mission rule stating that they wouldn't launch due to the fact that the weather (at the stage landing site) was bad, and might have scrubbed the launch.  In this case however, NASA is SpaceX's customer, and SpaceX is using the launch to test the recovery.  NASA's objective here is to get goods up to the ISS, so SpaceX had to go with things as they were, and hoped they could what data they could.  Bad weather at the 1st stage landing site wasn't going to stop the launch, but it did prevent planes and ships from getting close enough to view/better record the data.

The weather this Saturday will hopefully be better so that they can get close enough to A) record video directly from a 3rd person perspective (planes or ships or both), and B) get better data recorded from the stage itself.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078

This is truly an d unbelievable effort. And is amazing to see the amount of details that have been recovered form the initial frames, and the conviction and talent of all people that have been involved....

Just curious...
The original releases (raw and 'repaired') had frames as the stage was descending through the cloud layer which fit before this sequence, and the stage falling over at the end which come after -- both best seen in raw IMO.  Are those frames somewhere in this amazing recovery effort?

Link back to OP:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34597.msg1191316#msg1191316
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637

Great! I was about to ask for something like this. Or make it myself. :)
One suggestion/request: a bit slower sequence? Either more realistic in terms of actual movie speed or even slower to be able to find common blocks?

Online Chris Bergin

Chris, may I recommend you add links to the first post of this thread detailing how to start helping with this effort and some of the better posts in the thread describing what's going on?

I'd rather people read through what is only 24 pages. It takes 5-10 minutes to read and new people to the thread will gain an appreciation of the work and the processes involved. :)

Offline moralec

Great! I was about to ask for something like this. Or make it myself. :)
One suggestion/request: a bit slower sequence? Either more realistic in terms of actual movie speed or even slower to be able to find common blocks?

Sure. How about this:

« Last Edit: 05/08/2014 06:57 pm by moralec »

Offline SwissCheese

• Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 107
I began to rebuild the iframe 6 (normal version); the MB containing the legs are visible but lots of the neighboring blocks are corrupted, so the reconstruction is not easy. I am not completely sure of the exact position of 2-3 MB sequences over the water. Maybe it works better with try1.ts?

Is it me or are the legs still not completely deployed? It seems not to be exactly the same as in the following frames.

0:0:-1,
2:1:6129,17:1:-1,
1:02:11561,6:3:-1
3:12:56455,18:12:-1,
26:12:61670,27:12:-1,16:13:-1:50,
17:13:64694,28:13:-1,
32:13:71022,4:14:-1,
27:14:78837,5:15:-1,
19:15:92898,23:15:-1,20:16:-1:0:0:0:-12,22:16:-1,
21:17:106645,27:18:-1,29:18:-1:0:0:0:-25,30:18:-1,
0:19:121762,04:21:-1:0:0:0:20,05:21:-1,
31:22:159772,0:24:-1,
30:25:184570,07:27:-1,
35:27:200466

(edit: top of frame added)
« Last Edit: 05/08/2014 06:35 pm by SwissCheese »

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
Just curious...
The original releases (raw and 'repaired') had frames as the stage was descending through the cloud layer which fit before this sequence, and the stage falling over at the end which come after -- both best seen in raw IMO.  Are those frames somewhere in this amazing recovery effort?

Link back to OP:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34597.msg1191316#msg1191316
The the wiki has a column for a frame 0 that reads:
#IFPosition in fileSize in bytesFrame #mp4-img linkimageContributors
0~254956n/an/anot extracted yet, transport stream issue?
I'm not involved, and knew nothing about MPEG a few days ago. But for the early frames, I guess there is an issue in extracting the data for that i-frame. Of course I don't know how it's playable at all if that's the case.

As for the falling over, the repair effort is on the i-frames from which all subsequent frames are deltas. So I assume the "falling over" is after the last i-frame.  Assuming the i-frames can be reconstructed, the playback of the falling over will be better.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Online Shanuson

• Liked: 327
  • Likes Given: 2542
frame 5 so far

0:0:-1,26:12:35375,12:13:-1,16:13:38823,17:13:-1,19:13:39153,22:13:-1,27:13:40118,29:13:-1,33:13:40830,0:15:50056

2 or 3 clear blocks of leg. some of the stage, a row of it is miss aligned.

The rocket is 2 MB rows to far up compared to IF7 or 8
otherwise nice pieces of the leg.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2014 06:49 pm by Shanuson »

Offline Swatch

• Official Aerospace Engineer as of June 13th, 2009
  • Cincinnati
    • ProjectApollo/NASSP: Virtual Systems and Flight Simulation of the Apollo Program
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 19
Chris, may I recommend you add links to the first post of this thread detailing how to start helping with this effort and some of the better posts in the thread describing what's going on?

I'd rather people read through what is only 24 pages. It takes 5-10 minutes to read and new people to the thread will gain an appreciation of the work and the processes involved. :)

Maybe just a link to the wiki page then?
Ex-Rocket Scientist in Training, now Rocket Scientist!
M-F trying to make the world of the future a smaller place through expanding horizons...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography