Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375337 times)

Offline faramund

• Australia
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 56
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #280 on: 01/13/2014 06:56 pm »
Thanks for the work put into the like button, I've just got (yet another?) suggestion. On the front page, under Forum stats, there is a most recent posts section. How about also, a list of the most liked posts over the last week or 24 hours. Maybe it shouldn't be calculated over posts, maybe instead it should be a list of the topics that had the largest number of likes.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #281 on: 01/13/2014 06:59 pm »
Thanks for the work put into the like button, I've just got (yet another?) suggestion. On the front page, under Forum stats, there is a most recent posts section. How about also, a list of the most liked posts over the last week or 24 hours. Maybe it shouldn't be calculated over posts, maybe instead it should be a list of the topics that had the largest number of likes.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=stats

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #282 on: 01/13/2014 07:01 pm »

I see the "top 10 liked users"/"top 10 liked topics" twice, for some reason...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #283 on: 01/13/2014 07:05 pm »

yeah I know, like I said, tweaks :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #284 on: 01/13/2014 07:09 pm »

That's actually looking pretty cool!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #285 on: 01/13/2014 07:18 pm »
right, still some work to do, I think its a good idea that we for the time being we limited "liking" to the first post of a thread and give an overview of the amount of likes in the thread.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #286 on: 01/13/2014 07:26 pm »

Offline MP99

« Reply #287 on: 01/13/2014 10:03 pm »
We need to change that as it's totally wrong to base it on post count.

I wonder what we can do with it?

I agree, it should be about quality of posts, not quantity.

I really liked that idea of letting the community vote on the credibility of other members based on quality of posts, although I can easily see how it could be abused by people who are for one thing, "voting down" people against another thing, etc.

One possible way to solve it would be to allow the option to give a "plus" to a member you liked, but remove the option to give a "minus" - that way "voting people down" could not happen, as you can only give a positive vote to a member.

Also, on that subject, when is the "thanks" button coming to posts?

-----
Edit:

Or maybe the aforementioned could be combined, and member stars could be linked to the amount of "thanks" they get?

For a negative measure, could count number of times a user appears on other people's "ignore" list.

Could be an useful indicator to someone getting a lot of ignores re their behaviour.

Cheers, Martin

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #288 on: 01/13/2014 10:32 pm »
No, we won't be doing that for obvious reasons.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #289 on: 01/20/2014 10:53 am »
Is there a section that explains the progression of membership recognition on this site? Member, Full Member etc., as well as the digital light up bar that is present just above the avatars or just below the membership staus indicator(Member, Full Member).

excuse the crappy table:

Name:             Number of bars    number of posts needed:

Member           0    number of posts needed:                 1
Full Member    *    number of posts needed:              100
Full Member    **    number of posts needed:            200
Full Member    ***    number of posts needed:          300
Full Member    ****  number of posts needed:          400
Senior Member    *****  number of posts needed:  2000

Thanks Jester, I was curious. Most forums are simply by post count. Quality of a post is by natire qualitative and open to interpretation.  People who read a post know if its a good post.  No need to "measure" a posts "quality" by any sort of voting system IMO.
Paul

Offline PerW

• Gothenburg, Sweden
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 615
« Reply #290 on: 01/20/2014 11:00 am »
Maybe L2 membership should be one step also?

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #291 on: 01/20/2014 11:07 am »
Maybe L2 membership should be one step also?
I agree, I'm kinda suprised that L2 Memebership is edit: NOT displayed. We are the ones that help to bring this excellent site to the masses. I'm not a rocket scientists, I dont work at NASA, but I have a credit card and support NSF.com.  "L2 Membership has it's privileges".  Perhaps an icon of recognition for the monetary backers of the site.
« Last Edit: 01/20/2014 11:13 am by Hog »
Paul

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #292 on: 01/22/2014 05:59 pm »
When I use the "Tags" function (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags) the list I see is ordered by the number of times a tag has been used.  The previous forum software had them listed alphabetically which made it much easier to find relevant tags.

Is there a way I can change the way the tags are ordered myself, or is this only possible with a forum configuration change?

Thanks.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #293 on: 01/22/2014 07:30 pm »
When I use the "Tags" function (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags) the list I see is ordered by the number of times a tag has been used.  The previous forum software had them listed alphabetically which made it much easier to find relevant tags.

Is there a way I can change the way the tags are ordered myself, or is this only possible with a forum configuration change?

Thanks.

its a pretty clunky mod, i'll check but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2014 07:36 pm by Jester »

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #294 on: 01/22/2014 07:30 pm »
Forum upgraded to 2.0.7 and updated to (c) 2014

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #295 on: 01/23/2014 06:02 am »
Thread for your feedback!

The layout has HUGE empty left and right margins.
As in: most of the screen width goes unused.

See attached screenshot. This is on Firefox 23.0.1.

First, update to 25.0.1, second, ad-blocker ?

I'm on Firefox 25.0 now, no change.
I don't run any ad-blockers or any other FF plug-ins.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #296 on: 01/23/2014 08:25 am »
Thread for your feedback!

The layout has HUGE empty left and right margins.
As in: most of the screen width goes unused.

See attached screenshot. This is on Firefox 23.0.1.

First, update to 25.0.1, second, ad-blocker ?

I'm on Firefox 25.0 now, no change.
I don't run any ad-blockers or any other FF plug-ins.

strange.
Update to FF 26, make sure you don't enable zoom (mouse wheel scroll action to easy to do..) if still an issue, please make a screenshot and post here.
Thanks

Offline DJPledger

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 33568
« Reply #297 on: 01/23/2014 08:43 am »
Is there a section that explains the progression of membership recognition on this site? Member, Full Member etc., as well as the digital light up bar that is present just above the avatars or just below the membership staus indicator(Member, Full Member).

excuse the crappy table:

Name:             Number of bars    number of posts needed:

Member           0    number of posts needed:                 1
Full Member    *    number of posts needed:              100
Full Member    **    number of posts needed:            200
Full Member    ***    number of posts needed:          300
Full Member    ****  number of posts needed:          400
Senior Member    *****  number of posts needed:  2000

Thanks Jester, I was curious. Most forums are simply by post count. Quality of a post is by natire qualitative and open to interpretation.  People who read a post know if its a good post.  No need to "measure" a posts "quality" by any sort of voting system IMO.

Members need to be rated on the quality of their posts as well as the the number of posts they have posted. 50% of the rating for post quality and 50% for the number of posts. This would be a fairer system than the current one which only rates on the number of posts a member has posted.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81615
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #298 on: 01/23/2014 08:58 am »
Members need to be rated on the quality of their posts as well as the the number of posts they have posted. 50% of the rating for post quality and 50% for the number of posts. This would be a fairer system than the current one which only rates on the number of posts a member has posted.

I guess the new 'Like' mechanism might give a relatively easy way of assessing the extent to which a person's posts are valued. But key to all this is not to take the levels at all seriously, they're not ratings in the sense of an assessment, simply a posts statistic.

I have wondered though about indicating which members are L2 members. I appreciate that for privacy reasons maybe that would have to be opt-in, but it may encourage more people to join L2 if there's another visible reminder of it. Especially if, as I suspect, L2 members tend to make higher quality posts.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #299 on: 02/05/2014 12:57 am »
It would be great if additional file types were allowed for upload on the forum (or remove the restriction on file extension entirely). File extension restriction is only an "idiot" check to prevent people uploading .exe files or something anyway.

A main missing video type is .mkv files. Some others might be .mts or .dv files that are common from cameras, also .m4v. For audio there is .m4a and .flac

(Mods, if this should not be its own thread, feel free to move to an appropriate feedback thread.)
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography