Poll

How close to the center of the barge will the first stage land?

Failed landing burn, aborted, or other mishap
6 (1.3%)
Landing on water surface at any point from barge
8 (1.8%)
Landing partially or wholly on barge but partial or complete vehicle loss
66 (14.8%)
Landing partially or wholly on barge but not on center, vehicle intact
209 (47%)
Landings on the center of the barge (center of stage inside center circle)
156 (35.1%)

Total Members Voted: 445

Author Topic: Predict accuracy of upcoming DSCOVR Mission attempted barge landing  (Read 27126 times)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Would like to see another poll question:  When will we see the first footage of a F9 first stage landing on the ASDS?
You mean CRS-5 footage?  Or *intact* landing?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Would like to see another poll question:  When will we see the first footage of a F9 first stage landing on the ASDS?

When will we see video? The day after the DSCOVR stage sticks its barge landing.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
voted for 'partially or wholly on the barge, vehicle intact".. not sure how partially on the barge is compatible with vehicle intact, but hey... I like it anyways. Life is a contradiction.
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
According to Hans at the CRS-5 pre-launch presser, if the landing was successful video would be released in a day ... or two.  I imagine the same will hold true for DSCOVR.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline ericspittle

• Binghamton, NY
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 185

When will we see video? The day after the DSCOVR stage sticks its barge landing.
I'm suspecting that this is the answer. SpaceX got nailed in the press for what many outlets called a failure even though the orbital insertion was successful, the docking was successful, and the end result of the landing attempt was the exact same thing that happens to every other first stage. If I were them I wouldn't release footage of the first ASDS attempt either, no matter how much we would all love to know what happened, because of how moronic the average press coverage is. I suspect that the same press will happily laud them for a successful landing though, and then we'll see as many angles as we want.

I do hope that after a bunch of successes they might get brave and show the footage from the CRS-5 landing attempt, by then there won't be much for the press to say.

Offline cscott

I'll take that bet.  I think we'll see footage of the CRS-5 attempt, and it will be released before DSCOVR launches.

I'm not guaranteeing that the CRS-5 footage will include the earth-shattering kaboom.  But I bet descent footage will be released and -- to make the wager interesting -- I'll say that we see at least a glimpse of the ASDS before the clip ends.  (This last part is really iffy, considering darkness and fog and possible loss-of-control, but @coypu76 did say "landing on the ASDS", so I can't claim I'm right unless we actually see some ASDS.)

Offline foltster

• NC
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 33
Elon now up to 60% chance of landing on the ship this time.  About 9:30 or so. 

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
@coypu76 did say "landing on the ASDS", so I can't claim I'm right unless we actually see some ASDS.)

Is it a landing video if the video doesn't actually show a landing?  ???

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
Elon now up to 60% chance of landing on the ship this time.  About 9:30 or so.

From my post on the Open hydraulic schemes thread:

Elon elaborated on the grid fin issue at a recent Q & A, where he states that SpaceX needs "to make sure our hydraulic actuators don't run out of fluid and go hard over".

Offline Carreidas 160

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
I think they'll crash again this time, only better :) At least, that will be the most likely outcome. So 3rd option for me!

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
I'm taking option 3 since that would be awesome enough. A bull eye landing would be just extra gravy, leave that buzz for the follow on barge landings. BTW, I'm betting the FAA will demand another 3 landings (DSCOVR + two).
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline cscott

@coypu76 did say "landing on the ASDS", so I can't claim I'm right unless we actually see some ASDS.)

Is it a landing video if the video doesn't actually show a landing?  ???

Landing *process*. ;)

Online Herb Schaltegger

I voted for the third option - partially or wholly on the barge, but with some damage. I expect the unexpected for the first several attempts - one leg over the edge, causing a topple, or offset onto the equipment containers ... something.

But I'd like to be proven incorrect.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194

Option 3 due to the fact they flew back to the platform last time, and have (apparently) ID'd why they didn't land intact and are making changes.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
It's interesting how closely the graph of the poll corresponds to the pattern of choices in the Barge Bingo thread!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
I'll say inside the circle.

They've already successfully demonstrated all the high-altitude controlled-descent stuff, and the mid-altitude controllability to GNC to the "barge box".  Grasshopper/F9R-Dev1 have demonstrated the low-altitude precision landing capability.

I'm speculating that ocean swell, barge thruster vernier control and potential fog and rain, won't overcome the SpaceX control algorithms and control authority to remain in the circle.
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Vultur

• Liked: 762
  • Likes Given: 184
I voted for center. We know that the stage can get to the ASDS even with the grid-fin hydraulic failure, so absent another mechanical failure, I see no reason why the stage should not stick a dead-center landing.

I voted center for the same reasons (here's hoping!)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
I voted for landing intact but not dead center.  I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline CuddlyRocket

Also my first ever post after years of lurking, L2 is awesome and please be gentle!  8)
Welcome to the forum.

Offline francesco nicoli

• Amsterdam
    • About Crises
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 381
Voted 3: too much unknown unknowns and few known unknowns still. Third time will be the good one.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography