Author Topic: SCRUB: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-3 (CRS-3) ATTEMPT 1 - LAUNCH UPDATES  (Read 76828 times)

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 6109
  • Likes Given: 837
Re: LIVE: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-3 (CRS-3) LAUNCH UPDATES
« Reply #180 on: 10/27/2014 10:43 pm »
At some point in the future I would expect that any boats in breach of the Notice to Mariners would simply be ignored, and their risks would have no effect on launches, only on their own insurance.

Really, if it doesn't endanger the launch and proper notice has been given, it's up to the boat owners to decide whether they want to take the risk of having some metal land on their boat from a great height.
It seems to me that they could still meet the safety numbers with a sailboat in the range.  The limit for commercial launches appears to be less than 0.00003 expected deaths per launch. 
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%20431.35-1/$FILE/AC431.35-1.pdf

Unless the sailboat is directly under the expected booster impact point, (or very close to the shore) that should be easy to meet. (back of the envelope - booster would need to go off course (10%), then RSO blows it up, possible area for debris to land at least 10km by 10km, sailboat is 10m by 10m, sailboat has a max of 10 people).

Of course, doing this calculation to the satisfaction of the FAA in real time is not practical.  But if they did it ex post facto, I bet the safety requirement would have been met.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #181 on: 10/27/2014 10:59 pm »
Recording of the scrub (part 1 of 2, starts at 2hr20m):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54578694

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv/videos

YG1968:  Appreciate the links.  The one I had previous were all old.  Thanks
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #182 on: 10/27/2014 11:11 pm »
At some point in the future I would expect that any boats in breach of the Notice to Mariners would simply be ignored, and their risks would have no effect on launches, only on their own insurance.

Really, if it doesn't endanger the launch and proper notice has been given, it's up to the boat owners to decide whether they want to take the risk of having some metal land on their boat from a great height.
It seems to me that they could still meet the safety numbers with a sailboat in the range.  The limit for commercial launches appears to be less than 0.00003 expected deaths per launch. 
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%20431.35-1/$FILE/AC431.35-1.pdf

Unless the sailboat is directly under the expected booster impact point, (or very close to the shore) that should be easy to meet. (back of the envelope - booster would need to go off course (10%), then RSO blows it up, possible area for debris to land at least 10km by 10km, sailboat is 10m by 10m, sailboat has a max of 10 people).

Of course, doing this calculation to the satisfaction of the FAA in real time is not practical.  But if they did it ex post facto, I bet the safety requirement would have been met.

They could also just drop the stage on the sailboat and launch an additional 300,000 rockets to balance it out.

Offline apollolanding

• Veteran
  • Member Since 2006-04-10
  • New Jersey
  • Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #183 on: 10/27/2014 11:25 pm »
We just had a bright ISS pass over NYC.  Too bad it was alone.
That was the consolation prize for those of us who all gathered in a vineyard in Southern NJ.  I pointed out ISS and at least that made some of the kids ooh and ahh.  I explained that bright dot was where the spacecraft was supposed to go. Of course I didn't think to slew my camera to record the pass... Doh!

The upside is that in a very economically depressed and sparsely populated area, there were three families on the side of the road waiting to watch a rocket launch a couple hundred miles away.  Average Joes enjoying spaceflight... Made me feel like there is still a little hope.
Proud Member of NSF Since 2006-04-10.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #184 on: 10/27/2014 11:32 pm »
http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/ANTARES-ORB3-NOTMARREVA.pdf

"The Army Corp of Engineers Danger Zone will be in effect for all launch attempts per 33CFR
(Code of Federal Regulations) Part 334. Fines and arrest authority are permissible by U.S. Coast
Guard and Virginia Marine Police."

There are two zones, one local and one that seems to be 900 nmi or more offshore, which would be in international waters not subject to U.S. laws.  Do we know which zone had the "boat"?

- Ed Kyle

~40 mi. out

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #185 on: 10/28/2014 12:02 am »
95% chance of GO for weather tomorrow.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7691
« Reply #186 on: 10/28/2014 12:16 am »
95% chance of GO for weather tomorrow.

Yeah, but the important number I want to know is: what's the chance of boats in the area tomorrow?

;)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #187 on: 10/28/2014 12:42 am »
I went out to see them launch it in Hampton. I did see the ISS pass. It's the brighter blob in this picture I took with a potato:
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #188 on: 10/28/2014 02:14 am »
I wonder at what point it becomes economically advantageous to forcibly evacuate and then sink the offending vessel. The operation could probably be carried out with a single helicopter. The cost of conducting the operation and replacing the vessel might be less than the cost of the scrub....
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #189 on: 10/28/2014 02:21 am »
Just evacuate, don't need to sink it. Anyway, this is just one more reason we need to go toward high-launch-rate reusable rockets that don't have pieces falling off into the ocean or onto the steppe.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #190 on: 10/28/2014 03:56 am »
Just evacuate, don't need to sink it. Anyway, this is just one more reason we need to go toward high-launch-rate reusable rockets that don't have pieces falling off into the ocean or onto the steppe.

That doesn't still mean there won't be a cleared area for launches.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #191 on: 10/28/2014 06:17 am »

October 27, 2014

Launch of Third Orbital Sciences Mission to Space Station Rescheduled; NASA TV Coverage Reset

The third Orbital Sciences cargo mission to the International Space Station under NASA's Commercial Resupply Services contract is scheduled to launch at 6:22 p.m. EDT Tuesday, Oct. 28, from Pad 0A of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.

NASA Television coverage of Tuesday's launch will begin at 5:30 p.m. A post-launch news conference will follow at approximately 8 p.m.

A Monday launch attempt was scrubbed because of a boat down range in the trajectory Orbital’s Antares rocket would have flown had it lifted off.

A Tuesday launch will result in the Cygnus spacecraft arriving at the space station early Sunday, Nov. 2. NASA TV coverage of rendezvous and berthing will begin at 3:30 a.m. with grapple at approximately 4:58 a.m.

For the latest information on news conferences and coverage times, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntvnews

For more information about Orbital’s mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/orbital

For more information about the International Space Station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station
Jacques :-)

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #192 on: 10/28/2014 10:25 am »
Concerning the cubesats on this launch:

i know currently of 29 cubesats carried inside Orb-3:

26 x Flock-1d (3U)
Arkyd-3 (3U)
RACE (3U)
GOMX-2 (2U)

Has anyone info, if there are more?

Gunter

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #193 on: 10/28/2014 11:48 am »
I like how everyone picked up ISS last night, but missed Tiangong 1. Shortly after the scrub I enjoyed watching both stations at the same time sail through the evening sky. 
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline SaxtonHale

• Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #194 on: 10/28/2014 01:11 pm »
It was a beautiful night.

Now I get to drive 7 hours again!

Last image is the ISS passing over the scrubbed rocket.
« Last Edit: 10/28/2014 01:14 pm by SaxtonHale »

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #195 on: 10/28/2014 01:41 pm »
It was a beautiful night.

Now I get to drive 7 hours again!

Last image is the ISS passing over the scrubbed rocket.

Great pictures! Especially the ISS one.  Where were you set up to watch from?

Online Chris Bergin

Sorry for the delay. Was stuck in work, but here's attempt 2's thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35939.0
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography