Author Topic: LIVE: Zenit-2SB launch with Phobos-Grunt - November 8, 2011  (Read 640749 times)

Offline johnxx9

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 1
China-Russia Mars mission set for takeoff

The Phobos-Grunt mission is slated to to take place in October 2009 and  according to many Chinese and Russian newspapers the project is on the track and there would not be any delays. Phobos-Grunt will also carry a Chinese satellite.

http://www.upiasia.com/Science_News/2009/01/05/China-Russia_Mars_mission_set_for_takeoff/UPI-11111231173225/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Russians-to-Send-Earth-Organisms-to-Mars-Moon-101389.shtml
« Last Edit: 11/08/2011 01:57 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline EE Scott

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 356
I can't believe this, because it's too good to be true.  Can we get any other verification?  If this mission would actually launch this year, it would be such a positive development, to be beyond words almost for someone like me who lives for these types of missions.  China's tag-along mission is also quite interesting and a groundbreaking effort for them.
Scott

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1020
I can't believe this, because it's too good to be true.  Can we get any other verification?  If this mission would actually launch this year, it would be such a positive development, to be beyond words almost for someone like me who lives for these types of missions.  China's tag-along mission is also quite interesting and a groundbreaking effort for them.

2010 is next year.....

Offline sandrot

• Extreme Veteran
  • Motown
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 5

2010 is next year.....

But departure in October 2009
"Paper planes do fly much better than paper spacecrafts."

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1960
  • Likes Given: 1148

2010 is next year.....

If you read and check the Russian Launch Schedule thread you can see that there's no launch schedule for October this year. The latest info says that this launch will probably take place on 2011.

Offline EE Scott

2010 is next year.....

If you read and check the Russian Launch Schedule thread you can see that there's no launch schedule for October this year. The latest info says that this launch will probably take place on 2011.

Perhaps the news article was too good to be true.  I've been waiting for the Phobos-Grunt mission for a long time.  It's going to be fascinating!
Scott

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 195
Roskosmos To Launch Mission To Mars Moon In 2009
Moscow ITAR-TASS in English 0814 GMT 21 Jan 09
MOSCOW, January 21 (Itar-Tass) - Russian federal space agency head Anatoly Perminov said on Wednesday the world financial crisis would not prevent Russia from retaining its leadership in space exploration.

(Requires URL. Copyrighted materials should never be copied and pasted).
« Last Edit: 01/21/2009 03:14 pm by Andy USA »

Offline johnxx9

"Already this October we plan to launch the Phobos-Grunt spaceship to Mars that for the first time in the space history should bring to the Earth soil samples from a moon of Mars," he said.

I think it is true. I have been following this spacecraft since 2008 and in July 2008 the project manager had said that the spacecraft was on schedule.

See this video-----------------------
It's in Russian but worth watching

Offline EE Scott

Thanks for providing the video.  What a great adventure this mission will be, whenever it gets launched (the sooner the better).
Scott

Offline rklaehn

• interplanetary telemetry plumber
  • germany
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 318
This video is really excellent. It is easy to understand exactly what the mission does even without understanding the text. This is the best russian PR material I have ever seen.

Interesting that the return capsule just crashes into the kasachstan desert without a parachute. But it worked for genesis, so why not  :)

It would be great if there was water on phobos or deimos. That would make a manned mars mission much easier.  You could have a rover control station, ISRU factory and propellant depot at phobos or deimos.

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 195
Re: LIVE: Zenit-2SB launch with Phobos-Grunt - November 8, 2011
« Reply #10 on: 01/21/2009 08:46 pm »
I note it still shows a Soyuz/Fregat launch vehicle, but recent reports say 'Zenit'.

Offline johnxx9

« Reply #11 on: 01/22/2009 12:32 pm »
I note it still shows a Soyuz/Fregat launch vehicle, but recent reports say 'Zenit'.

Yes, it will the Zenit. The video is from early 2008. It doesn't even show the Chinese satellite because it wasn't decided by then.

Offline Cbased

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: 01/26/2009 11:28 am »

The rumour is that it won't be launched in 2009. Just won't be ready.
But I share your excitement - I am waiting for this mission too.
Another rumour is that they (Lavochkin) are mainly focused on Spektr and Electro-L and not many resources are currently allocated to Phobos-Grunt.

2010 is next year.....

The next window (launch opportunity) to Mars is 2011.

Offline eeergo

Interesting and revealing video in Roskosmos TV:

http://74.125.79.113/translate_c?hl=es&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://tvroscosmos.ru/frm/kosmostv/vesti/2009/vesti220109.php&usg=ALkJrhhszMxvd-Yng9HJan7f_HxmsQ-HwA

The Zenit launcher is apparently confirmed, with animations pointing to it, as well as the snip text below. The video also shows what appears to be actual flight hardware (looking convincingly advanced) There's an interesting feature in this hardware: a truss extending from the lander to the propulsion section... will it be in place for launch too (change in design?) or does it just have a role in spacecraft processing? Perhaps with the change in launcher they can incorporate new payloads, apart from Yinghuo?

Some images of a rover at the end too, probably having to do with the end statement of the release: ""After Phobos on the basis of this, practically, will take two more spacecraft to Mars and the Mars landing. And 3 missions to the Moon. And in 2015 to Venus" - explained George Polischuk. "
-DaviD-

Offline Nathan

• Sydney
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: 02/06/2009 10:30 am »
"Already this October we plan to launch the Phobos-Grunt spaceship to Mars that for the first time in the space history should bring to the Earth soil samples from a moon of Mars," he said.

I think it is true. I have been following this spacecraft since 2008 and in July 2008 the project manager had said that the spacecraft was on schedule.

See this video-----------------------
It's in Russian but worth watching

that's excellent! did I hear a bit of Tubular Bells III in there? Some russians have fantastic taste!
Given finite cash, if we want to go to Mars then we should go to Mars.

Offline eeergo

[...] There's an interesting feature in this hardware: a truss extending from the lander to the propulsion section... will it be in place for launch too (change in design?) or does it just have a role in spacecraft processing? Perhaps with the change in launcher they can incorporate new payloads, apart from Yinghuo?

I think I've found an answer to my question: browsing through Anatoly Zak's Russian Space Web, I found very clear diagrams of the spacecraft layout, somewhat different to what is shown in the videos posted in this thread, before the Yinghuo-1 was included in the project. Indeed, the truss is just for housing the Chinese sat until after the propulsion stage is spent. Then, Phobos-Grunt will separate and leave an exit for Yinghuo.

See this image: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/phobos_grunt_breakdown_1.jpg, located in Phobos-Grunt's page: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/phobos_grunt.html
-DaviD-

Offline johnxx9

« Reply #16 on: 02/15/2009 03:38 pm »
http://www.russianspaceweb.com/phobos_grunt_preflight.html

In January 2009, several Russian TV channels run a footage of the Phobos-Grunt spacecraft being assembled at NPO Lavochkin facility in Khimki. For the first time, a newly added truss, designed to accommodate a Chinese "hitchhiker" satellite, was shown being integrated into the structure of the vehicle. The head of the organization, Georgy Poleshyuk appeared on screen, admitting that the spacecraft's preparation schedule was very tight and the work on the project was now conducted in two shifts. Poleshyuk however still told to an increasingly skeptical audience that Phobos-Grunt would fly in 2009.

Offline Spiff

• Veteran
  • Utrecht - The Netherlands
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: 02/16/2009 08:27 pm »
If they pull it off, and, more importantly, if they succeed in their mission, I will be very impressed.
But I'm hoping for them. It will be good to see Russia back in the interplanetary arena.

Spiff
I always consider space to be the FIRST frontier.

Offline Cbased

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: 02/17/2009 11:05 am »
If they pull it off, and, more importantly, if they succeed in their mission, I will be very impressed.
But I'm hoping for them. It will be good to see Russia back in the interplanetary arena.
I agree with every single word there. I would really like to see this mission in action and I wish the Phobos-Grunt team luck!

Offline lbiderman

• Going where no Uruguayan has gone before
  • Buenos Aires - Argentina
    • Mars Society Argentina
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #19 on: 02/18/2009 10:55 am »
If we use Mars-96 as a reference, we will probably find out about any delays by mid-year.
"If I wanted to lead a bunch of robots that could only follow orders, I would have joined the Army!"
Captain Alvarez (Uruguay Marine Corps) in Congo (MONUC Deployment), March 2007

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography