Author Topic: SpaceX Starship IFT-2 : Starbase TX : 18 Nov 2023 DISCUSSION  (Read 438292 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8044
  • Likes Given: 7393
What could be wrong with the fourth actuator that it's not getting replaced?

I think one was replaced a week ago, so that was probably not changed tonight.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline ThatOldJanxSpirit

• Liked: 1425
  • Likes Given: 3409
Hard to believe that all this started at 4:00PM CT yesterday and we are still waiting for the last man-lift to be lowered 11 hours later.

Did you miss a /s there Tony?

11 hours to de-stack a Saturn V sized rocket, replace three major components, test, and then partially re-stack. The pace is just breathtaking.

Itís also good to see that they have sufficient confidence that they might actually need to use the grid fins that itís worth delaying the launch.

Offline catdlr

Hard to believe that all this started at 4:00PM CT yesterday and we are still waiting for the last man-lift to be lowered 11 hours later.

Did you miss a /s there Tony?

11 hours to de-stack a Saturn V sized rocket, replace three major components, test, and then partially re-stack. The pace is just breathtaking.

Itís also good to see that they have sufficient confidence that they might actually need to use the grid fins that itís worth delaying the launch.

Thanks for the catch. I made the correction, thanks.
I was going to mention the same thing.  Who would think that all this could occur on the launch pad in the open air?  Anywhere else, it's back in the barn to fix. 
Great crew that SpaceX has.  Enjoyable to watch and learn.  Where else could you ever be privileged to view this?
« Last Edit: 11/17/2023 08:33 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

In a discussion thread, someone suggested that the salt air could have contaminated the grid fin actuators, leading to the replacement of three of them in the evening. This raises a question: if SpaceX plans to increase the number of constructed boosters and position them in a larger parking lot, wouldn't they also be susceptible to the same salt air issue? It might be worth considering a large fabric cover over the top of the boosters, similar to a car cover, to mitigate the potential for salt air and rust.  The engine compartments seem to have been upgraded with covers for the engines (to migrate fire potential) but the engine bells are still out in the open.  If you happen to be lucky enough to stand by one of these at the rocket garden you can very well see all the rust building up at various places on the skin.

Anyway, some seeds to cultivate and answer to, yes?

Offline NosFi

• Austria
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 2
What's interesting more than 3K are viewing NSF Live Streaming right now and that's more than 1K when the wiggle test concluded an hour ago..
Europa has woken up ;)

Offline Brigantine

• NZ
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 445
What's interesting more than 3K are viewing NSF Live Streaming right now and that's more than 1K when the wiggle test concluded an hour ago..
Europa has woken up ;)
And they didn't hear the memo about a 24 hour delay. Is it frosty yet?

Offline catdlr

Europa has woken up ;)
And they didn't hear the memo about a 24 hour delay. Is it frosty yet?
It's up to 4K now.  Well, I guess a lot of people have a lot of time on their hands.  It's a party channel, no less.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

In a discussion thread, someone suggested that the salt air could have contaminated the grid fin actuators, leading to the replacement of three of them in the evening. This raises a question: if SpaceX plans to increase the number of constructed boosters and position them in a larger parking lot, wouldn't they also be susceptible to the same salt air issue?

What salt air issue? It was a suggestion, not a statement of fact. The bottom line is, we have no idea what the issue is/was with the actuators, nor why they needed to be replaced. Repeating someone elseís suggestion as if it was established fact just confuses things.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 370
  • Likes Given: 20
I have to be somewhere at 8 AM central tomorrow, so I was happy to see this in Chris' tweet in the update thread:

(20 minute window opens at 7am local time).

If they don't make that 20 minute window, I assume they have to move to another day for the next attempt?  Just want to be sure I'm reading this right.

Online Alvian@IDN

I have to be somewhere at 8 AM central tomorrow, so I was happy to see this in Chris' tweet in the update thread:

(20 minute window opens at 7am local time).

If they don't make that 20 minute window, I assume they have to move to another day for the next attempt?  Just want to be sure I'm reading this right.
Depending on the time of scrub. If it's deep into fueling it would be NET 48 hours until the next attempt cause they have to refill the storage farm
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 13995
  • Likes Given: 1390
What could be wrong with the fourth actuator that it's not getting replaced?
It was a joke, but I guess if I have to clarify it, not a good one...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline JCopernicus

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 63
Does anybody know if they are going to stream on youtube also, or just X?

Streaming on X has always sucked.

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4381
  • Likes Given: 2629
Does anybody know if they are going to stream on youtube also, or just X?

Streaming on X has always sucked.

They're not streaming it on YouTube. They will have an embedded Twitter stream on their website if you don't want to use Twitter itself: https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-2

I've seen people suggesting that if you use a browser extension to extract the .m3u8 link from the Twitter stream, and then put it into a program like VLC, it avoids some of the quality/reliability issues that Twitter's player causes, but I haven't been able to test this myself.

There will also very likely be YouTube channels restreaming the Twitter stream, but they'll likely have a time delay, and they'll all be dependent on the Twitter stream working reliably in the first place.
« Last Edit: 11/17/2023 06:26 pm by StevenOBrien »

Offline capoman

• Ontario Canada
  • Liked: 1441
  • Likes Given: 1330
Hi Guys, long time no post. Pretty exciting day tomorrow.

SpaceX website says they will stream there also. I suspect the quality will be better than X. Don't forget to keep an NSF window open! ;)

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 226
Fingers crossed that the remote cameras (including "Danger Van Trailer") come out better this time around.  The video shots of the fragging were epic last time, but there definitely does not need to be a repeat performance.
« Last Edit: 11/17/2023 08:49 pm by StuffOfInterest »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80228
  • Likes Given: 36317
https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer/status/1725628920643362965

Starship Flight 2 remote setup (2)! @NASASpaceflight

Online Alberto-Girardi

We seem to be 15 hours away from the second flight of Starship.
I would like to thank everyone, NSF, other content creators and the community for this very funny and interesting times, now counted in the years. Today I am very excited, like during the past flight and the suborbital hops. But IIRC today there is much more anticipation than during the suborbital times.

I hope that tomorrow is a fun day for everyone. There will be hundreds of following flights, but those first ones will be unique, let's keep the memories of them.

Alberto
Ad gloriam humanitatis - For the Glory of Humanity
I want to become an Aerospace Engineer!

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 236
Yep, she's gonna fly tomorrow...

How do I know?

Boss at my side hustle called an 8am, all hands, attendance mandatory meeting. :(

Sooo... can the NSF stream team please post a time-stamp for the actual launch (once it is known?) as part of the description on their youtube feed? :D  Pllleeeeeaaase!
« Last Edit: 11/17/2023 09:11 pm by Cherokee43v6 »
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline catdlr

Third version of online press kit. Has the launch time of 7 am local added.

Fourth version of online press kit. Has the new launch date of 18 November and new main picture.

Steven,
I understand that you may feel disconnected from this launch event since you are probably halfway around the world. However, we are a close-knit family and we work together effectively. The next 12-15 hours are going to be extremely busy, and although it may seem like we have forgotten about you, we certainly haven't. We know that you are there and your presence is much needed. Please don't feel left out.

Best,
Tony

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80228
  • Likes Given: 36317
https://twitter.com/spacerhin0/status/1725627237217526146

One last look at the engines we know to be under B9 and S25 ahead of their hopefull flight tomorrow!

Tags: Pictures 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography