Author Topic: FAA (and other relevant) Permits/Licenses for BC (Thread 4)  (Read 152577 times)

Online Herb Schaltegger

So what’s the deal? Wasn’t today the deadline? Or is it tomorrow? Awfully quiet news day across space twitter.

Today is Memorial Day in the U.S. - a universal government holiday for every federal, state and local government in the the country. Nothing official is going on today aside from emergency services.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Online GreenEnvy22

• Niagara, Canada
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4316
  • Likes Given: 1757
Re: FAA (and other relevant) Permits/Licenses for BC (Thread 4)
« Reply #22 on: 05/31/2022 02:24 pm »
Looks like a 2 week delay in the PEA:
Zeno's schedule. At least it's converging now. sum of (1/2n,n=0 to n=infinity) does converge.

Offline StevenOBrien

• Ireland
    • Steven O'Brien
  • Liked: 4412
  • Likes Given: 2691
« Reply #23 on: 05/31/2022 02:30 pm »
Looks like a 2 week delay in the PEA:
Zeno's schedule. At least it's converging now. sum of (1/2n,n=0 to n=infinity) does converge.
"The FAA now intends to issue the PEA on NaN"

Offline Alvian@IDN

Guess Eric Berger isn't 100% right

And also the copy-paste from activists, quite a heck of a motive to drag the process there. If they're disappointed in results they can only blame themselves for spamming the comments rather than more substantive one
« Last Edit: 05/31/2022 02:54 pm by Alvian@IDN »
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline pyromatter

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 3422
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #25 on: 05/31/2022 03:04 pm »
Email from the FAA,

"All,

The FAA intended to release the Final Programmatic Environmental Assessment (PEA) for the SpaceX Starship/Super Heavy Launch Vehicle Program at the SpaceX Boca Chica Launch Site in Cameron County, Texas on May 31, 2022. The FAA now plans to release the Final PEA on June 13, 2022 to account for ongoing interagency consultations concerning Section 4(f) of the Department of Transportation Act. All other consultations and analysis have been completed at this time.

We have posted the comments received during the Draft PEA public comment period on the project webpage, linked here. The FAA has considered all public comments in the Final PEA.

A notice will be sent to all individuals and organizations on this project distribution list when the Final PEA is available.

Thank you,

The FAA SpaceX Boca Chica Project Team"

Offline whitelancer64

Comments to the Draft Programmatic Environmental Assessment (PEA) on the SpaceX Starship Super Heavy Project at the Boca Chica Launch Site

The comments are provided below in 25 volumes. An index is provided for commenters to search for their name, if provided to FAA, to find their comment in the corresponding volume. If no name was provided, the email address is noted for comment identification. Comments have been redacted for personal identifiable information and offensive language. Note that though the numbering of the comments in the index is over 19,000, numbering gaps are present to reflect comments submitted that were not applicable to the project, duplicative, or were entered in error.

https://cms.faa.gov/spacexstarship/starshipsuperheavy/comments-draft-programmatic-environmental-assessment-pea-spacex
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Joffan

Comments to the Draft Programmatic Environmental Assessment (PEA) on the SpaceX Starship Super Heavy Project at the Boca Chica Launch Site

The comments are provided below in 25 volumes. An index is provided for commenters to search for their name, if provided to FAA, to find their comment in the corresponding volume. If no name was provided, the email address is noted for comment identification. Comments have been redacted for personal identifiable information and offensive language. Note that though the numbering of the comments in the index is over 19,000, numbering gaps are present to reflect comments submitted that were not applicable to the project, duplicative, or were entered in error.

https://cms.faa.gov/spacexstarship/starshipsuperheavy/comments-draft-programmatic-environmental-assessment-pea-spacex
Thanks - you just got in ahead of me to post the link. A random dip into comments shows a lot of short support comments (that basically are "I support SpaceX, please approve the Boca Chica application"), far fewer short opposition comments ("Please reject this due to wildlife impacts/land rights/other"), a few that got past the spam filters I guess, and some longer documents, some of which hide actual content in the middle of extended framing, split between support, opposition, and "points to consider" which are probably the most useful ones.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline webdan

• Clearwater, FL
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #28 on: 05/31/2022 03:54 pm »
Scanned through the first and last files.

First one, all super positive, from folks around the world.

Last one is full of duplicate "on behalf of" and basically complaining about no EIS has been required.

Sounds like a nice data mining project... but kinda busy right now arrgghh!

Offline Joffan

Last one is full of duplicate "on behalf of" and basically complaining about no EIS has been required.

Here's my few whacks with the data pickaxe: the "deeply concerned... support the No Action Alternative" 1-page boilerplate responses start in the middle of Volume 20, p196/586, and continue nearly to the end of Volume 25.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Online dabomb6608

• IL
  • Liked: 116
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #30 on: 05/31/2022 04:43 pm »

Here's my few whacks with the data pickaxe: the "deeply concerned... support the No Action Alternative" 1-page boilerplate responses start in the middle of Volume 20, p196/586, and continue nearly to the end of Volume 25.

Yep, roughly comment numbers 18751 - 19866 all seem to be copy/paste deals. Haven't dug into the middle volumes much to see if there are other copy/paste groups for or against.

Offline sferrin

• Utah
  • Liked: 913
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #31 on: 05/31/2022 07:07 pm »
Follow the money.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1590
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: 05/31/2022 07:08 pm »
Follow the personal animosity.

Offline sferrin

• Utah
  • Liked: 913
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #33 on: 05/31/2022 07:40 pm »
Follow the personal animosity.
Both most likely.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline billh

• Houston
  • Liked: 1098
  • Likes Given: 792
« Reply #34 on: 05/31/2022 08:19 pm »
My comment was in the collection twice (once in volume 1 and once in volume 2), although I swear I only sent it once. I wonder if my opinion counts twice? As in, two times zero is zero.  :)

Online wes_wilson

• Armchair Rocketeer
  • Florida
    • Foundations IT, Inc.
  • Liked: 542
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #35 on: 05/31/2022 08:47 pm »
Can we have favorites?  05070 is quite direct

@SpaceX "When can I buy my ticket to Mars?"

Offline maquinsa

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #36 on: 05/31/2022 08:57 pm »

Please approve SpaceX falcon heavy. It is needed for US in the modern space era and humanity’s future.

05738 is really well informed.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #37 on: 06/03/2022 01:25 am »
twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1529118560529879041

We’re one week from the FAA’s latest deadline to complete the environmental review process for SpaceX’s launch site in South Texas. This time my expectation is that there will not be another extension. Likely decision: a mitigated FONSI. This means …

https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1529119001376432129

SpaceX is likely to get approval to move ahead with experimental launches of Starship, however they will have to make some accommodations for environmental impacts. This is what I am hearing, but you should not consider it official information.

So, FONZSI then?

Section 4(f) finished

Completed Date: 06/02/2022

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #38 on: 06/03/2022 01:09 pm »
What is a Section 4(f), exactly?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online Herb Schaltegger

What is a Section 4(f), exactly?

I think it’s related to this but admittedly, it’s been years since I dug into environmental regulatory stuff in any capacity:

https://www.faa.gov/airports/environmental/environmental_desk_ref/media/desk-ref-chap7.pdf

EDIT: see also, https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starbase-environmental-review-fifth-delay-progress/
« Last Edit: 06/03/2022 01:52 pm by Herb Schaltegger »
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography